Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by NYC_1

He’s saying that the resort was designed as an exclusive, high end resort, aimed at a clientele who are less price sensitive than those whose only means of staying here is on points.
Ok, completely got it now.
His seemingly segregated term of "you" vs. the more appropriate classification of "us" had me perplexed. Thanks for YOUR explanation.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:18 am

He’s saying that the resort was designed as an exclusive, high end resort, aimed at a clientele who are less price sensitive than those whose only means of staying here is on points.
In speaking to several Hilton CSRs over the last few months I have been told by many they anticipate the WA to be a heavy points hotel. Similar to Conrad BB, Maldives and several Hawaii resorts. I presume all the points blogs will start adding the WA Maldives to their “best places to redeem points and free night voucher” articles.

TD
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

In speaking to several Hilton CSRs over the last few months I have been told by many they anticipate the WA to be a heavy points hotel. Similar to Conrad BB, Maldives and several Hawaii resorts. I presume all the points blogs will start adding the WA Maldives to their “best places to redeem points and free night voucher” articles.

TD
I don’t think his statement and what you have heard are mutually exclusive alternatives.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:35 am

I don’t think his statement and what you have heard aren’t mutually exclusive alternatives.
I agree. Think a fair mix of both will occur.

TD

Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Rizla
Today has been a better day for food.

Breakfast was very good. Lots of choice. No complaints apart from wish there was less pork (would mean more options for me). 8/10

I don't recall any pork except one pan of bacon. There's beef sausage and chicken sausage and no pork sausage. Oh, and ham is one of the omelette options. But I thought that's it.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond.
Today has been a better day for food.

Breakfast was very good. Lots of choice. No complaints apart from wish there was less pork (would mean more options for me). 8/10

lunch we visited the ledge. Very interesting concept. Food was good. It’s worth going once and better than in room dining! 8/10

spa: had a massage. The jet lag one. The spa is huge. I had my treatment in an overwater room. Incredible experience to be looking down at the water rather than empty space! Therapist was from Bali. Clearly experienced. I fell asleep. Felt a little short at 90mins. 8.5/10.

Note: I’ve given very few things a 10/10. For me those are outstanding experiences/almost once in a lifetime.

Great day spent swimming and relaxing. Life couldn’t be better!

Originally Posted by scwam
His seemingly segregated term of "you" vs. the more appropriate classification of "us" had me perplexed. Thanks for YOUR explanation.
the difference is I can pay and afford to stay as well as use points. Whereas I feel like the people here who complain about the high prices can’t. It’s not to be mean. I am grateful I got to stay here on points.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I don't recall any pork except one pan of bacon. There's beef sausage and chicken sausage and no pork sausage. Oh, and ham is one of the omelette options. But I thought that's it.
pork sausage today. Some cold cuts were pork. Even if they were not available and alternatives were in place. My rating would not change.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:20 am

the difference is I can pay and afford to stay as well as use points. Whereas I feel like the people here who complain about the high prices can’t. It’s not to be mean. I am grateful I got to stay here on points.
Well, I was one of those who also complained about prices. Yet, even so, I chose to still cancel my points reservation here and pay more than double the out-of-pocket cash expense for an alternative resort after consideration of posts here. Does that make me unable to afford W.A.?
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:38 pm

Well, I was one of those who also complained about prices. Yet, even so, I chose to still cancel my points reservation here and pay more than double the out-of-pocket cash expense for an alternative resort after consideration of posts here. Does that make me unable to afford W.A.?
No it doesn’t. I’m sure you’ll have a great time at
that alternative resort, and I’m also sure that this resort will also be a smashing success despite the eggs that cost $7 more than some other place.
If you have a better one I’d love to hear it. The eggs are expensive I agree.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 17, 2019 at 11:02 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Here’s a review of something at the resort most visitors won’t be interested in.

The gym!

The gym is located next to the Spa. It’s got 5 bicycle-type machines, 2 treadmills, and 2 of those machines where you put your feet in the strips and run/bounce. There are also weight machines, freeweights, a yoga area, heavy balls, etc.

All the machines are very nice and modern though they don’t have them hooked up to TV connection yet so there’s nothing to look at except the canal in front of you, which isn’t so bad.

There’s a guy who works in there who I have heard is an accomplished personal trainer with experience working in Singapore. He seems a bit bored and spruced when guests actually show up to use the gym. My girlfriend and I went twice and we were the only ones there both times.

They have bottled water and a small towel at each machine and more bottled water in the fridge.

The bottled water is served in those glass bottles with the plastic clasps attached to a a metal clasp and can be a little tricky to open/close while you’re running/walking on a treadmill. You might want to being your own reusable plastic water bottle.

The also have a bowl of fresh apples.

There are lockers by the entrance that are lockable with a one time electronic code like an in room safe. You put your stuff in and hit star , 4 digit code, pound to lock and then the same sequence to unlock.

There are men’s and women’s restrooms which each include a private shower stall.

You don’t need to bring a gym bag on vacation, there are free tote bags in the villas and you could use that to carry your clothes to the gym if you want to shower and change there. It’s not necessary though, I just rode the bicycle to the gym in my workout clothes and rode back to my villa in the sweaty clothes after working out and showered there.

Anyway, my overall impression is that’s a very nice gym and good amenity to help people keep off some of the breakfast buffet and happy hour weight while on vacation.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:08 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
The irony is that over at the Conrad Maldives thread where many of FT guests are points stayers, many of those points guests want to maximise/optimise their paid dining options and try to plan their many days worth of meal options prior to arriving at that resort, I have not seen this at this property yet. And to rub salt into the would so to speak, the prices at the Conrad is only a fraction less than the WA. Many points guests may or may not be able to afford the room like you or the next person after you but many are prepared to spend because it is the Maldives and more importantly they are grateful to be able to stay on points.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Gold_Member

Originally Posted by Moflav
New review from The Telegraph gives the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi 9/10 points

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...aafushi-hotel/
Paid reviews. I doubt the reviewer even stayed at the property.
Exactly; ".....the journey to the island is only around 30 minutes." but we know it actually takes 50 or more minutes.

Originally Posted by jphripjah
What do you mean when you say it's a suite? A two bedroom villa? I don't see "suite" as a room classification at this resort. I just copied and pasted the list of King Beach Villas numbers they sent me, it certainly could be wrong.
They look to be 2 bedroom villas. (Sorry if this has been addressed, just catching up on the thread and replying as I do so.)
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:52 pm

I'm chuckling at some of the posts on this thread and the Conrad thread. It's not a crime if individuals can't afford to stay at these two properties. They certainly aren't for everyone, but for goodness sakes, choose a destination you can afford. Even if staying on points, the reality is that food, beverages, and activities cost money. Why travel halfway around the world if you plan on filling your suitcase with snacks, and skimp on meals and experiences. That doesn't sound like much fun.

I'm currently in the Caribbean for a couple of weeks, and the family in the room adjacent to mine have five people sharing the room. BTW, the children are teens. That sounds more like summer camp than a vacation. Of course, then they can go home and tell everyone that they stayed at a Sandals/Beaches resort.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:14 pm

We arrived yesterday and did not get to experience the WA yacht, was also informed it is held in customs.
Snack on board is beyond surpar.
The tuna whatever sandwich mayo was warm.
The fruit offerings was not fresh.
​​​​

Check in was seamless.

After 30 minutes waiting for our luggage to be delivered, had to call twice for status.
Finally. After 45 minutes was reunited with our luggages.

We missed the afternoon snack.

Dinner was at glow.
We shared appetizer and Dessert.
Husband and I had our own main.
He had fresh orange juice and we shared Evian still bottle.
I invoice was $225 with all taxes. Excluding gratity so I'm thinking $225 is very lazy meal.
It's very easy to reach $300 for 2 person.
Glow was delicious.

We received welcome amenity roombottle of champagne. Small fruit plate, and chocolate.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:13 pm

I didn't eat a Terra but I was riding my bicycle around one day and went up there to take photos. There are seven tables/nests/cages at Terra. Here's a photo of the view from each one. In my opinion, the views from Terra are quite poor as the nests overlook the photograph studio and the kids' discovery center and water sports center.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.