Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by B7Bombers
very helpful (and jaw-dropping) to see the transfer pricing -- at $300 + tax each way it is the most expensive transfer option out of all the hotels in the Maldives for what is a relatively short trip!

there won't be a more affordable speedboat option, folks... this is it... so start saving or swimming
Seems like a great opportunity for an enterprising Maldivian to start a new business.

TD
Website update...

“This hotel will soon be joining the Hilton Portfolio of Brands but is not yet accepting reservations. It is scheduled to open in April 2019. Opening Date: Tue Apr 30 00:00:00 CDT 2019”

It was May 2019 a few days ago. So looks like we are moving in the correct direction. I did not see any other updates.

TD

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 30, 2019 at 11:51 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
I checked it yesterday and it said May 2019 with 31.05.2019 as the date. They must have gotten a bit ahead of schedule.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
very helpful (and jaw-dropping) to see the transfer pricing -- at $300 + tax each way it is the most expensive transfer option out of all the hotels in the Maldives for what is a relatively short trip!
For that amount I would expect champagne and canapes served at a very big yacht ... ;-)
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by tom-schmitt

For that amount I would expect champagne and canapes served at a very big yacht ... ;-)
...or to be flown there....
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM

there won't be a more affordable speedboat option, folks... this is it... so start saving or swimming
I genuinely wonder if the boat transfer pricing is an error. $300++ each way per person is very inflated, especially compared to what the Four Seasons Kuda Huraa, which is located within a similar distance from Malé, charges for their speedboat transfer which is $280++ per person round trip.

Best Maldives Resorts Accessible by Speedboat from Male Airport
https://www.fourseasons.com/maldives...ions_and_maps/

If indeed the Waldorf Astoria pricing is $300++ per person each way, it just reaffirms this very poignant comment regarding the need for point redemption properties to pump up the prices for their ancillary products and services to cover for the relatively low room rate reimbursement
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30411600-post18.html

I'll never forget my experience at the Orientale restaurant at St. Regis Maldives back in 2017 where a small plate of chicken tikka masala, comprising of five bite-sized pieces of chicken and piece of naan cost $40:
http://53e6e95fa523edc2d249-64fa9f17.../Orientale.pdf

Maps showing distances between Malé and the two resorts
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:33 pm

134+ pictures of the WA Maldives. Some are the ones posted by WA on the website. Scroll through and you will see many construction shots.

Go to Google and type in “Waldorf Maldives”. click on the picture that shows 134+

Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:43 pm

This article reveals a bit more about the boat transfer...

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/a...n-the-Maldives
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
$300++ one way for the yacht transfer *ouch* hope they give one cold towel free and not charge for it ha ha ha

I am expecting complimentary continental breakfast for Diamonds, with an up-charge of $100++ to go full buffet *damn, I shouldn't give the resort too many ideas*

Nickel and dime-ing seems normal in this part of the world, and many suckers including myself will just go with the flow and book (hopefully using our points).
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
What do they mean the transfer is "usually charged" at $300+tax ?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Presumedly “Soon to be charged”....after they are open awhile....
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I wonder if overwater villas will be available for redemption @ 95K. Heck, I wonder if even regular beach villas will be for 95K.

Staying in OWV and dining at Ithaa is a bucket list item for me, so I'm still for Conrad; but if miraculously OVW for WA is same price, I'd seriously question my need to sit in an underwater restaurant.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I wonder if overwater villas will be available for redemption @ 95K. Heck, I wonder if even regular beach villas will be for 95K.

Staying in OWV and dining at Ithaa is a bucket list item for me, so I'm still for Conrad; but if miraculously OVW for WA is same price, I'd seriously question my need to sit in an underwater restaurant.
I would say there is zero chance of OWV being available at 95k a night.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:33 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Tilly71
I would say there is zero chance of OWV being available at 95k a night.
I agree. If something is 95k it will be the basic room or a subset of basic rooms.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:56 pm

They say they will update the website by the end of January. I am going to predict they don’t start taking online reservations until at least February 3rd.....

Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum Ambassador, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jphripjah

he said usually charged because in the email to me, that I posted above, the transfer is included in the daily “special” rate he mentioned, as well as a daily F&B credit per person and a one room category upgrade... not booking this rate would bring the yacht transfer fee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.