Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:27 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guava:
Well, Eugene, always like to have the last word, don't you! </font>
Well, the last time you and I debated here it was PG who got the last word...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guava:
one can also argue HHonors doesn't offer a true household account </font>
That's absolutely correct, and I never argued otherwise. HH does not have a household account, and it never advertised its Mutual Fund account as such.

One can also argue Starwood offers a true household account because it considers anyone living under the same address as a 'household'. </font>
Have to disagree with you on this one. The only true household account I know of is offered by BA. While Starwood allows you to transfer points between people having the same mailing address (members of the same "household"), it does not offer a "household account". Two members (no matter whether they are husband and wife, father and son, or domestic partners) can not have the same account to combine their stays, elite status, etc. If one member of a household is SPG Platinum for example, none of the other members of his/her household become Platinum by association. With HH Mutual Fund account (with all its restrictions, as to the requirement of being legally married), if one spouse is a Diamond member, so is the other spouse spouse, even if that other spouse only stays at HH occasionally.

hey Eugene, you and I can be technically considered a household by Starwood you know </font>
That's a scary thought right there, don't you agree?

I think we should sit down for a beer and arrange a debate between you and me! </font>
You're on! Next time I'm in Montreal, I'll even buy a first round. And will tell you what you are missing thinking that HH Gold is sufficient...
Old Sep 30, 2002, 8:39 am

Diamond Members: Why go for Diamond?

Is Diamond really worth much more than Gold? I’m Gold and need to decide where to send my business next fiscal year (all domestic U.S. stays). Are the Diamonds that are “formerly Gold” able to see a discernable difference? Is it really worth spending that many more nights for nearly equal treatment amongst the tier levels? Having asked the same question to HH CS – I was “ offered” Diamond status with Hilton based on my status and track record with a competitor – as I trust my fellow FTers to be fair and objective, let’s hear it – worth it?

[This message has been edited by WindShear (edited 09-30-2002).]
Old Sep 30, 2002, 9:49 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
I would definitely say yes, it has been worth giving my business to Hilton simply because of the flexibility of stays and spending points.

As a diamond member Hilton seems to go out of their way when you need it.

I don't notice too many "extras" above and beyond the gold status for most stays, but I like being able to know that I can always get a room, even when a property is "sold out." This is invaluable for last-minute travel.

The same is true for spending points, with no black out periods you have much more flexibility.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 9:58 am

I am Diamond and two years ago I was Gold, so I remember treatment as a Gold. The guaranteed room reservation of Diamonds could help if you wanted to get into a fully booked hotel, but you will pay quite a bit for the room. Rack rate plus. Breakfast availability is the same for both, but I have discovered, as a Diamond being admitted to the lounge is almost automatic. With Gold lounge access was a hit and miss affair.

The major difference is availability of award stays. The Diamond desk does seem to find availability for award bookings and has yet to turn down a request. I tried to use an award for the Rome Cavaleri as a Gold and could not book it anytime, as a Diamond it took a couple of days but the dates I wanted (in two weeks) were available. If this is important to you than it may be a good reason to make the additional bookings with Hilton.

I stayed at Hilton Waikoloa as a Gold and was not treated very well. Room in back of hotel, no lounge access, etc. A year later, as a Diamond Ocean view room, lounge access, no suite but royal treatment, and no complaints. I have as everyone else also seen some hotels where the treatment is the same for all levels. Conrad Jupiter in Australia last month informed me: free breakfast was not a benefit if you were offered a room upgrade. Recognition of status really depends on the property, but I have found the Diamond Desk to be a valuable ally. IMHO, it is worthwhile to stay a Diamond and I will have to squeeze in a few more stays before the end of the year (at my expense) to maintain my Diamond status. I personally feel it is worth it! But it is really only worth your while if you are going to use the benefits.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 10:35 am

For me, the Diamond room guarantee came in handy recently. I wanted a room at the Paris Hilton during the Paris Auto Show. Checked rates and they were sky high so I asked the Diamond Desk about an award stay. There was not availability, but the Diamond Desk person said it might be possible to "force" an award room for me since I was Diamond and would let me know within 72 hours.

They came through with the room, deducted the points for me, and sent me a confirmation letter and e-mail. From the confirms they sent it looked like they split the 5 days into two reservations (2 days and three days). Though this was an award stay, there were rates listed in the confirms of 600 Euro/night for the first two days and 300 Euro/night for the last three days. If that's what Hilton is paying the hotel for the award room, it sound like a deal for me.

I knew about the Diamond room guarantee for paid stays, but did not know it applied to award requests.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 10:48 am

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WindShear:
[B].I was “ offered” Diamond status with Hilton based on my status and track record with a competitor – as I trust my fellow FTers to be fair and objective, let’s hear it – worth it?

WindShear, Why are you even posting this if you get Diamond for the asking. According to your post, you don't have to make the stays. Is this not a "no-brainer"?
Old Sep 30, 2002, 11:08 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Please also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000628.html
Old Sep 30, 2002, 11:11 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIKEM:
WindShear, Why are you even posting this if you get Diamond for the asking. According to your post, you don't have to make the stays. Is this not a "no-brainer"?</font>
MikeM: That's totally fair - just asking. Since I have no award stays planned - I'm not sure it really matters. Doc: Thanks for the re-direct. That's where this thread really belongs.

[This message has been edited by WindShear (edited 09-30-2002).]
Old Sep 30, 2002, 2:58 pm

Diamond lives up to most of the advantages Gold claims to give.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 3:35 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by elbidercni:
I would definitely say yes, it has been worth giving my business to Hilton simply because of the flexibility of stays and spending points.

As a diamond member Hilton seems to go out of their way when you need it.

I don't notice too many "extras" above and beyond the gold status for most stays, but I like being able to know that I can always get a room, even when a property is "sold out." This is invaluable for last-minute travel.

The same is true for spending points, with no black out periods you have much more flexibility.
</font>

agreed
Old Sep 30, 2002, 5:37 pm

Location: Greensboro, NC (US Air CP = Compassionate Proctology, Hilton Diamond)
The great thing about Diamond status is that you can tell everyone on FlyerTalk that you have it and they will all be impressed at what a stud you are. And, your mom will think you are cool (and isn't that what it is all about anyway).
Old Sep 30, 2002, 5:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SAN man:
Diamond lives up to most of the advantages Gold claims to give.</font>
Old Sep 30, 2002, 6:04 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Also, as posted in several thread here, many properties are now limiting upgrades and lounge access to Diamonds only. This seems to be the unofficial policy of many properties, especially the expensive places (see comments in other threads on London Paddington Hilton).

Many gold members are gold through various promotions rather than earned through stays, and it seems some properties are seeing this as watering down the value of gold and are reserving the real benefits for diamonds since most diamonds have earned it through long-term loyalty to the brand.

Just had my Diamond status renewed until 4/2004, so I am very pleased to be HH Diamond for the duration of a planned 3-month RTW family holiday. Will be taking advantage of award stay availablity. Upgrades, lounge access, breakfast etc will also result in us being willing to pay a little more to stay at Hilton properties rather than just seeking the cheapest rate. So it helps Hilton as well!
Old Sep 30, 2002, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
We almost always get excellent service with our Diamond status. I especially like the upgrades, the lounge and the late check-outs.

They also seem to be pretty open to bending the rules and finding award stays for us even in very popular places very high-demand times. I.e., they offered us award stays at the Paris Hilton during the Paris Air Show when normal rooms were running $500.00+ per night and everything was sold out. That was impressive.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 8:59 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
The main advantage for me is to be able to use my points for award stays. I have plans for the Christmas holiday season and as a gold I think it would probably be too late to get the awards I want. My experience as a diamond is that if the reservations agent says nothing is available, then I will get a call in a couple of days from the HHonors diamond coordinator telling me they have made the arrangements and I am ready to go.

Diamond status has been a valuable benefit to my travel plans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.