Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Hilton Tokyo {JPN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Hilton Tokyo {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by dascc
does anyone know the difference between "city views" and "Shinjuku views"?

I booked a King bed- city view, but they have a Shinjuku View in a queen size bed. didn't know if it was worth it to book the queen.
No big difference between em
Old May 8, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
No big difference between em
oh ok? do you know what the difference is? The best that I could guess was Shinjuku views faced the high rises but I'm not 100% sure.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
I've stayed in a couple of rooms and the Executive Lounge and I really haven't noticed the view of one over the other. I'd go for a higher floor over the side of the building as surrounding building hem in the lower floors. Park view on the higher floors may afford a view of Fuji-san if the sky is clear. Also important to me is to avoid the rooms near the elevator. Last time we were in ??22 and could hear the cars running through the door/walls in the room.

ETA: here's a floor map. Sorry for the poor angle to avoid glare. Top is north, left west, right east. Executive lounge starts around Room xx24/xx25 and runs downward. Back section of the lounge is xx01, maybe xx02-xx03 ... well.
thanks!
Old May 8, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
oh ok? do you know what the difference is? The best that I could guess was Shinjuku views faced the high rises but I'm not 100% sure.
Maybe. Certainly not worth paying extra money or points for.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Maybe. Certainly not worth paying extra money or points for.
oh gotcha, yeah points/price is same. just sacrificing the larger bed.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:39 pm

I love this property. Window view is always a bunch of buildings, but I don't care about that. Just there a couple weeks ago.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Take the king bed. The queen is more like a double, and the room is tiny.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Take the king bed. The queen is more like a double, and the room is tiny.
Definitely
Old May 9, 2017, 1:07 pm

I have been staying there several nights each year since the 1990s, and I echo what others have been saying about this differences being negligible. My gut feeling is that Shinjuku view = your primary view will be Tokyo Metropolitan Government Bldgs and their grounds. City view = most rooms to your left (as you exit the elevator bank) w/o direct views of the Tokyo Metro Govt Bldg. Either way, you will see the city skyline w/ similar sets of highrise bldgs.

I may have it backwards, but the differences are pretty much unnoticeable (which is probably why I can't even remember for sure which is which). Sure, the Tokyo Metro Govt Bldg is an icon, but it's not like it's pretty to look at or anything...
Old May 9, 2017, 1:12 pm

cool thanks for the input everybody... I'll stick with the King room.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by jefftiger
I'd concur that 48k is a good value in Tokyo given the reality of Hilton point values. I just spent an absurd 80k per night at the Conrad Tokyo ...
Conrad Tokyo is nice, and I once got an amazing upgrade from their base room to an executive suite w/ 1.5 baths (it was right after Christmas last year). I agree that 80k/night is a bit steep, but it's a nice hotel... 48k for Hilton in Shinjuku seems fair.

Anyhow, have you considered Hilton Tokyo Odaiba (former JAL/Nikko Odaiba--not to be confused w/ Grand Nikko Odaiba)? I just booked a room for 39k/night and I find it to be generally a better hotel than the Hilton in Shinjuku. The rooms are bigger, the water view is certainly amazing, and the property is overall quite a bit nicer (the lounge is far nicer than the one in Shinjuku). Perhaps more importantly, I find the service at Hilton Odaiba to be far superior and more "typically Japanese." Lately, I have noticed some inconsistencies in the quality of staff at Hilton in Shinjuku, so I have been shifting my business to Odaiba gradually.

Odaiba offers a lot in terms of shopping and restaurants. The location is a bit tricky, though, if you have to go to the west side of Tokyo (Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, Shibuya, etc.), but access to eastern Tokyo (e.g., Shinbashi, Tokyo, Ginza, Asakusa, Shinagawa, Haneda, etc.) is excellent.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by nyc10036
The location is a bit tricky, though,
That has been the issue preventing me from trying this property, agree it looks excellent otherwise.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by nyc10036
Odaiba offers a lot in terms of shopping and restaurants. The location is a bit tricky, though, if you have to go to the west side of Tokyo (Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, Shibuya, etc.), but access to eastern Tokyo (e.g., Shinbashi, Tokyo, Ginza, Asakusa, Shinagawa, Haneda, etc.) is excellent.
What makes it difficult?
Old May 9, 2017, 8:31 pm

It lacks the sheer number of different lines running through that other areas have. The monorail is also expensive and possibly a little less frequent.

I dont find find that there are as many basic/cheap restaurants as the wider Shinjuku area, but I haven't spent much time around the actual hotel, just the general area.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I just finished a seven night stay. One night paid at flash sale rate, five nights on points, then one more night paid at flash sale rate.

I really liked the hotel. I'm a Dimond member, on arrival they told me I had been "upgraded" to an executive floor room (30th floor) but that was a little disappointing because I have lounge access already.

I thought the room was quite nice and large by Japanese standards, separate shower, small separate sitting area.

Ate breakfast in Marble Lounge on ground floor a few times. It gets very crowded. Check in agent said something about second floor breakfast but I thought that was Japanese breakfast and I wasn't interested. I think she advised me to make a reservation in advance if I was planning on eating breakfast there.

I thought the hotel is very well located with great access to the Oedo and Marunouchi subway lines. I used the underpass a few times but I think it's longer walking through the underpass to the subway stations than staying about ground. You can also walk all the way to Shinjuku Station staying underground, I did this by first following signs to Tochomae subway station and then once you get there, you will see signs to walk to Shinjuku station. I don't know if that's the fastest way. It took 15 minutes.

Getting TO the hotel using the underpasses is a little trickier as the route is not as well marked. I remember seeing something at each subway station saying to use exit C8 but I never found it. I guess from Shinjuku Station you use the JR West exit and maybe then follow signs to Tochomae station and then to Hilton? I'm not sure.

Whenever I got sort of lost I would follow signs in stations or on the street in the direction of Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building.

I've never seen so many airline flight crews in a hotel. That's not a bad thing, it's just an observation, the place is crawling with airline staff.

I used the airport limousine bus to return to Narita and I think that was a mistake. First, it costs 3100 yen. Second, it takes 2+ hours. Hilton is the first pick up spot and then the bus spends about 40 minutes driving around Shinjuku picking up people at other hotels before it finally heads to the airport. I was flying out of Terminal 3 and of course the bus stops first at Terminal 2 and then twice at Terminal 1.

We left Hilton at 9:40 a.m. and I got into the airport at 11:50 a.m. with just a minute or two to spare before the check in closed for my flight. This was with no traffic - the online bus timetable actually says it takes 2 hours and forty minutes from Hilton to Terminal 3.

Next time I would just take the train to Narita.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.