Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] The Waldorf Hilton, London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] The Waldorf Hilton, London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
The decline of this once-favorite of mine is so sad. I was there last about 1 yr ago. Love it for the location and one of the better lounges. However, despite being a frequent customer and a Diamond, I got no upgrade. I couldn't even check-in a little early at 11 am and my room wasn't ready at 3 pm check-in time. I did get free breakfast in the restaurant vs EL.
The EL has steadily gotten more crowded over the years. The last time I was there, I just ducked in and out because it was SRO. This is the same EL where ppl were behaving really badly (taking whole bottle of liquor to their tables, taking the entire tray/plate of goodies, walking out with full bottle of wine) and really rude, to other guests as well as the staff.

So what do they do with the Golds who do not get an ER upgrade? Do they still get a restaurant breakfast? The Waldorf has always been quite strict about letting only ER and Diamond guests in the EL. Frankly, the lounge is too small to let any more than they already allow.
OT, but I read on another thread on this forum that the covent garden underground elevators are going to be out of service for some time due to a construction project? Can anyone that has stayed there in the past month or so tell me if this is the case? I am staying here in a month and will be taking the tube to and from LHR with a lot of luggage.

I stayed there for the first time in December and staying there again in July, mainly because it's the only Hilton property in that area where I can still get a decent redemption rate for points (even though the Hilton website was showing absurd redemption rates, when I called the diamond desk they were able to get me five nights for I believe 240K points).

I love the location. Very convenient being so close to the convent garden stop if you are flying into or out of LHR. Also convenient to the Chaning Cross station, the central line and I like to hang out in SOHO at night so very easy walk there.

I use to like the Trafalgar but with the deval the redemption rates are absurd when I want to stay there and I'm told they no longer give diamonds a full breakfast.

I agree about the lounge, you have to get there right when they start tea or happy hour for a seat. Sorry to hear how people are behaving in the lounge, stuff like that is why things like free booze go away. Only problem I had when I was there in December were people bringing in other guests that weren't diamonds and having access to the lounge computer to print things out. There are two computers in the lounge and there were the same two teens continually using both. The one day I finally said something to the dragon and she made one of them get off the computer so I could print something out I needed.

When I was there in December they still weren't allowing gold's access unless they were in an exec room. I remember an American DYKWIA gold having a fit at reception because has was a "gold VIP" and never had problems getting lounge access in the US by just asking. They get a continental breakfast in the restaurant. I didn't ask about other breakfast options since the lounge always had seats when I was there (it was only afternoon and happy hour it was crowded), so not sure if a continental option is available in the restaurant for diamonds or not. They always had eggs and sausage in the lounge so that was ok for me. I hope they keep the policy in place about not allowing gold's, the lounge is too crowded as it is. I think the offerings outside of tea and happy hour are awful though. The happy hour alcohol is good though, absolut for the vodka and they have Bailey's. I like going during tea to grab a finger sandwich and then at happy hour for a light snack and cocktail before the theater.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Interesting reading other peoples experiences here.....I've never stayed here but plan to in august when I get back from Barcelona .......now I dont know what to do?......my plan was to stay here for one night as treat for my girlfriend as it's supposed to be a great hotel but it's gonna be on a Friday night and I should imagine the lounge would be packed ( not the relaxing experience I'm looking for!).....would make a change from my usual canary wharf stay, may use metropole or islington instead .......will give it some thought.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by wizla
Interesting reading other peoples experiences here.....I've never stayed here but plan to in august when I get back from Barcelona .......now I dont know what to do?......my plan was to stay here for one night as treat for my girlfriend as it's supposed to be a great hotel but it's gonna be on a Friday night and I should imagine the lounge would be packed ( not the relaxing experience I'm looking for!).....would make a change from my usual canary wharf stay, may use metropole or islington instead .......will give it some thought.
If you are staying there for a treat to your girlfriend, I wouldn't chose a property based on the lounge, it's not like you are going to be using it much anyway.

The Waldorf is beside a lot of theaters and places to dine at. I would recommend going right when happy hour starts for a drink or two and appetizers, seeing a show and then having a late dinner.

One thing I appreciated that they did for me back in December, was to comp room service. My flight was delayed by over 12 hours and I didn't get to the hotel until after 11 pm and was exhausted and had to be to St Pancras station the next morning by 5 a.m. and really wasn't looking forward to going out to get something to eat that late on a Friday night. The FD clerk said he couldn't upgrade me because they didn't have any rooms available but to check back on Monday and they would (I didn't bother for just two nights and stayed in my room assigned which was fine), and he felt bad he couldn't upgrade a diamond and asked if I wanted drinks and food from the bar or room service. I said room service sounded great and he told me to call there once I got in my room and he would make sure it was comped^^^ I would have rather had the room service than an upgrade that night.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
The waldorf has a great location, I don't think it'll get that busy (but I usually business travel off season). The lounge is nothing great, no view, but a decent space and free booze. The upgraded rooms are a huge perk since they put me in a junior suite (which was awesome as a diamond that never gets upgraded higher than a deluxe room in the states). I've never stayed at canary, metropole, or islington because my london friends tell me to stay away since it is so far.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
@wizla

I travelled with my girlfriend and we enjoyed our stay - we had a refurbished room on a high floor with a nice view of a quite street (i.e. at the left of the hotel). But don't go for the lounge, but do check out the bar downstairs in the evening. Don't venture near the pool/sauna/gym. Pay the breakfast fee and get a breakfast in a nice hall.

It's not the best venue for gaining value from the status freebies, but is a romantic stay possible - yes. And the location certainly beats the Metropole, Canary Wharf, or Islington for a feel of London. I stayed on a reasonable cash rate of £141, booked on the day of arrival on Valentine's Weekend, which of course was excellent value. At £200+ I would get more careful about recommending it.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Thanks for the info guys......appreciated !......yep, may still do it, will chew over what you folks have said and see.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
I took my wife there last year (my fifth stay there). I managed to contact a manager before we arrived and told them how important it was for me to have my wife enjoy her stay.
We were not upgraded but I was not expecting that. But we had complimentary stuff provided all the time including a bottle of champagne on arrival night. They had a card waiting in the room addressed to her from the GM saying that they appreciated my loyalty (your husband's) and so they wanted her to ensure she enjoyed her stay. I had to work pretty hard to figure how to contact them etc and I am not saying you will get the same treatment, but they really do care about your experience.

The hotel is very old school classy feeling and its location amidst the theatres it they key to making it a great visit. You can get tickets online for a great play and if you do that combined with a great dinner around there, it will be a "stay to remember".
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:13 pm

We stayed there over the Easter holidays using HHonors points. We had two rooms and they were able to accommodate our request that they be connecting. They were both handicap accessible rooms on the 2nd floor and looked out over the hotel entrance. The rooms were surprisingly quiet. The room our children stayed in was quite a bit larger with a huge bathroom- which was nice for them because the curtain for the handicap shower did not reach the floor and water did not stay contained in the shower. As a Diamond we were given access to the Executive lounge- which I found to be no different in offerings then it had been on a previous stay 3 years ago. One morning there was no seating available and the lounge attendant instructed us to go down to the restaurant for breakfast. We were able to eat the full buffet there without charge. There was no diamond amenity waiting for us in the room on this visit or our previous visit that I can recall. The location is terrific- we walked to most places (except the Tower of London- but the bus was right outside the door). Staff was courteous. Agree that pool and gym area is not that great.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

very disappointed in room

I stayed there last week for five nights. I got a decent point redemption rate (well for post deval) or either 240 or 260K total for five nights when the rates were like 475GB a night.

One thing I hate about that hotel is you have to climb almost a half set of stairs to get to the lobby. I was given an early checkin which I always appreciate in Europe and told I was upgraded to a deluxe room. It was no different than the room I received in December on points and I was told in December that since no exec or suites were available they would give me free room service for dinner and they offered to move me midstay, neither of those happened this stay.

I had room 321 which had NO view at all only could see another building a couple feet away and also was as far away from the elevator as you could get and required using a few stairs every time I went to the room (why would a hotel locate a staircase that it requires using stairs to get to some guest rooms is beyond me).

I hated the room and asked to move and was told they had no better rooms and that stay I hated the room so much I didn't mind moving midstay and wans't able to be relocated. The room also seemed pretty small but was renovated and did have the rainfall shower which I love but the towel warming bars didn't work. When I used my IPAD every time I turned it on, I was required to log in again, not a big deal but was annoying.

I asked about having breakfast in the restaurant instead of the lounge and was told there was an upcharge. Lounge use to have nacho chips or snack mix out at all times, but now between breakfast and 3 p.m. and after 8 it's only a small bowl with apples but at least soda is still free whenever the lounge is open. Still free alcohol but make sure you are there right at 6 or finding a seat could be hard.

Great location. Kathleen Turners new play is performing next door and if you go out around 8:45 she does signings and photo's at the stage door.

One thing to keep in mind if you are using the tube is the covenant garden lifts are being replaced and you can't enter the station at all until November and on Saturday and Sundays trains coming from Heathrow aren't stopping there so you need to use Holborn or Leicester square. If you have luggage I would recommend Holborn even though it's the other side of Covent gardens from Heathrow. Not as many stairs to deal with and the bellman gave me directions from the hotel that made it really easy, you just make a left out of the hotel and a left at the first traffic light and walk about five minutes and station is on your right.

A lot of cool shops in the area as well. I decided to explore regent street the one day and Lillywhite had some great tennis shoes that were cheaper than you can find in the US and Hamley's is the most amazing toy store I have ever been to.

Lot's of great places to eat at nearby and china town and soho are an easy walk
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:55 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Any experiences on a Priceline stay?

I am a Diamond and was wondering if this particular hotel will honor Diamond benefits, particularily free internet and lounge access.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:31 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by iluv2fly

I am a Diamond and was wondering if this particular hotel will honor Diamond benefits, particularily free internet and lounge access.

Thanks in advance.
Not specifically Priceline, but I have stayed using AAdvantage miles (also a non-Hilton currency) and there was no problem. I contacted them about a week before to ask them to put my Diamond number into the reservation. That way they knew we were Diamond prior to arrival.

Cheers.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: HH diamond

Thanks in advance.
If it is a Priceline blind bid, they will NOT honor your Diamond status.

OTW, YMMV. They have no obligation to do it.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))

Thanks in advance.
I'm surprised at the rates this property charges they are a priceline hotel.

You definitely will not receive points or stay credit.

Your best bet is to call the property a couple days out and give them the diamond number. They are under no obligation to give you lounge access of free wifi but YMMV. You aren't out anything by asking. The lounge is pretty small there so I would be surprised if they gave you lounge access
Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:55 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

As a follow-up to my question:

The hotel check-in agent couldn't have been nicer.

He attached my Diamond number to the reservation and said that he would try to find me an upgraded room. I told him not to worry about it, as I wanted to unpack and rest. He looked around for a moment and was able to find me a renovated Executive room.

He gave me the internet code and programmed my key for the Executive Lounge.

He thanked me for my loyalty numerous times.

A great stay.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Had two stays here of two nights each last month, one on a weekend and one midweek. No upgrade either stay as a diamond. Room was ready for one stay with arrival at 4; room not ready for arrival at 2pm for the other midweek. The lounge seemed to be slightly less busy than last year but still it was difficult to find a seat most evenings. The staff in the lounge continue to outshine the concierge staff in the lobby, whether it be providing advice for transportation options or just generally being willing to answer questions.
As is normal for weekend stays you can expect the lobby and bar to be busy with wedding parties that have spilled out of Palm Court.

Overall it remains one of the best choices in London due to location and consistent level of service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.