Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] The Waldorf Hilton, London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] The Waldorf Hilton, London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2004, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold
Arrow [ARCHIVE to 2015] The Waldorf Hilton, London {GBR}

I hope this isn't old news but today I called HH redemption to redeem points for a stay at the Noga Hilton Cannes. While on the phone with the agent I asked her to check the London hotels again for award availability. When told the Paddington and Metropole were unavailable (as usual), the agent searched for available London Hiltons and found one that she thought had just been added to the system overnight. She called it the Waldorf London Hilton located at Aldwych in the theatre district. After getting off the phone I checked a little and I believe this is the old Le Meridien Waldorf which must now be a Hilton.

She told me it was listed as a Category 5 but it is undergoing renovation throughout 2004 during daytime hours and because of that, she could offer it to me for the category 1 price of only 10,000 points per night. Needless to say, I jumped on it and am very pleased to have four nights in London in April for a little of nothing. There will be a tradeoff with the daytime noise but it looks like a great deal anyway. I have never heard of a London Hilton for category 1 prices.

She told me that she had worked the redemption office for two years and hadn't heard of this Hilton until today. She seemed certain that this hotel was not in their system yesterday. Her system said that the hotel was built in 1908, undergoing multimillion dollar renovation and the new rooms featured plasma TVs!

I noticed that it isn't even shown on the Hilton web page this morning. I love Flyertalk and hope this is a useful scoop for everyone out there. Has anyone stayed at this hotel when it was Le Meridien and what was their experience?
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Rail Baron, this is a useful scoop. Thanks for posting it. I have a paid night coming up at the Metropole, but I'll get on the phone now and see if I can get the Waldorf. I don't mind the daytime noise as I'll be there only one night.

Edited to add: Just got off the phone with HHonors reservations. They couldn't see that it was available for award redemptions, just available for paid nights at the lowest rate of 169 pounds + tax. That's what I'm paying at the Metropole for that night, so I'm not moving. But, as is always the case, when you don't get the answer you want, try, try again. Will keep checking.

[This message has been edited by Nanook (edited Jan 06, 2004).]
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:11 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
With the ongoing troubles at Le Meridien, look for many of their hotels to be sold/rebranded in the near future. The Grosvenor House in London is already a Marriott, for example. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/003486.html
Old Jan 6, 2004, 11:04 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Very good news--I just made our award reservation for May. The hotel is actually still showing 'No Category' with HHonors-UK; I was asked to call back in a few weeks to confirm the actual point cost. I told her that Rail Baron said it was Cat 1, but that didn't quite convince her . We shall see...

--Grog--

P.S. Here's a link to the The Waldorf Hilton on the Hilton-UK website.

The hotel code is 'LONWAHI' but it's not yet reflected on the central Hilton.com website.

[This message has been edited by Grog (edited Jan 06, 2004).]
Old Jan 6, 2004, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grog:
[parts clipped]

P.S. Here's a link to the The Waldorf Hilton on the Hilton-UK website.

Thanks for the link Grog. Those rooms look fantastic with that modern look. I wonder how long that hotel had been on the UK site. I hope your award stay works out. Now that I think about it, I probably should have reserved a stay or two for later in the year "on spec". I have been over on Thanksgiving weekend the last few years and I could always cancel the reservation. I was just so shocked at the deal I didn't think to work the angle more. With that ACAQ/ACAT promo floating around for those that took advantage of it, for those who might get this hotel for the cheap cost, its like a free multi night stay at a London Hilton!
Old Jan 6, 2004, 1:04 pm

Darn! Just got off the phone with them. They are in fact charging Category 1 rates but availability doesn't begin until April 2 (does me know good for my late March stay). For some reason, unknown by the agent, they are not booking any award stays prior to that date. They do however have rooms available starting at GBP 179/night.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 2:44 pm
Community Director Emerita

FANTASTIC find! I just booked a night in May - 10,000 points - woohoo!!! The cheapest rate at any central Hilton for that night was 150pds.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 2:55 pm

New London Hilton just 10K redemption

Rail Baron has posted an amazing find. Hilton has acquired the Aldwych, a lovely old hotel just two blocks from Covent Garden and just north of Charing Cross. It is undergoing renovation, with significant day time construction. Thus, they are offering award stays at Category 1 rates - just 10,000 points.

You can follow the discussion in the link given above; it is such an awesome find that I wanted to highlight the redemption rate so everyone can take advantage of it.

[This message has been edited by SanDiego1K (edited Jan 06, 2004).]
Old Jan 6, 2004, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Watch out, SD1K!!! Before you know it, you'll be roped into organizing another London FT Do!!!

Kathy

P.S.: But actually, maybe SOMEONE should organize one! Perhaps one of our local London FTers?
Old Jan 6, 2004, 3:35 pm

Booked my stays for May, July, and Sept for 10,000 points per night!!

rich
Old Jan 6, 2004, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Booked for May also - the rep was a little shocked when it came up as a Cat 1 :
Old Jan 6, 2004, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rail Baron:
I hope this isn't old news but today I called HH redemption to redeem points for a stay at the Noga Hilton Cannes. </font>
BTW, did you have success with Cannes? I'll be there in June, right after the French Open. Can't wait.

Wish the London hotel were available in Feb. when I'll be there. I know I'll need to act fast, but does anybody know if this will last all year?

[This message has been edited by ILuvParis (edited Jan 06, 2004).]
Old Jan 6, 2004, 4:31 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
It's now featured on the main Hilton.com as well...
The Waldorf Hilton, London

Hilton has confirmed my reservation as Cat 1, so that's good news for me. But it doesn't stop there--I actually landed PS dates in May! Couldn't find them posted anywhere; just got lucky when talking with the agent--those must be days with jackhammers and heavy dust in the lobby.

--Grog--
Old Jan 6, 2004, 4:33 pm

I've just confirmed Veterans weekend in November. I had to do a Diamond force for the reservation; rooms opened up again in mid November.

[This message has been edited by SanDiego1K (edited Jan 06, 2004).]
Old Jan 6, 2004, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Woo hoo, just got Thanksgiving. I understand Peteropny got MY Vet's Day weekend!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.