Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Agree with everything YorkieFlyer said about the world of difference between the two islands IMO. I know vxmike is here now too (met him at breakfast), so let me know if you all want to get together for tea or happy hour today!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by brit44
My wife and I dressed appropriately for Ithaa for lunch as we had been advised to do. We were extremely disappointed to find that 75% of the other guests that day were in swimwear, board shorts, t-shirts, bikini tops etc. No one said a word to them about their dress.
Yup...all comes down to money. They don't dare peev off anyone.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by vandesa
I never received an offer to upgrade. I did check inventory, but it appears that the resort is sold out for my dates.

Is anyone else there Feb 2 to 10?
My BF and I will be there Feb 6-10 ( I know not long enough, but it was all the points I could muster before the deval).
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; United Gold; SPG Gold
Long trousers is only required at dinner time, per the staff. During lunch time, it's not required since it's more casual. Basically, kids are allowed to dine during lunch and they're more laxed to the rules because of this.

Originally Posted by brit44
My wife and I dressed appropriately for Ithaa for lunch as we had been advised to do. We were extremely disappointed to find that 75% of the other guests that day were in swimwear, board shorts, t-shirts, bikini tops etc. No one said a word to them about their dress.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Have spent over 60 nights at CM and have only ever worn shorts, t-shirts, short sleeve shirts. Have been to Ithaa 3 times and wore linen trousers.

Have never felt underdressed at any of the other restaurants. There are such things as smart shorts/t-shirts

On the whole, my experience is that the ladies tend to dress up more, and the guys go for smart/casual (shorts).

FYI, in my opinion, it would be unbearable to wear any other long trousers than linen ones in the evening if you do fancy dressing up, as it's just too hot.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:27 pm

Update on my J vs Y choice

Originally Posted by kirkpt
We have same layover ord-auh-mle business class and have opted to get a room at staybridge on Yas island. Just a few miles from auh airport and get to layover in comfort and take a shower. Have lined up chauffeur service on Etihad to get there. It is included in business fare. We will see you there - we arrive on Monday jan 20th.
May or may not do the same for the return.
In case anybody is interested, I was able to actually combine both J and getting to MLE earlier in Y.

I kept the EY in J from JFK to AUH, but swapped out the AUH-MLE in J for a AUH to DOH in J (EY391), and then Y from DOH-MLE on QR (QR672).

I did not think American would allow me to combine the two, but they did, for an extra cost of $0.50 (yes, 50 cents) in taxes & fees. ^

So kirkpt, in case you don't want to overnight in AUH at Yas Island anymore, I just wanted to let you know of this other option.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ukinny2000
In case anybody is interested, I was able to actually combine both J and getting to MLE earlier in Y.

I kept the EY in J from JFK to AUH, but swapped out the AUH-MLE in J for a AUH to DOH in J (EY391), and then Y from DOH-MLE on QR (QR672).

I did not think American would allow me to combine the two, but they did, for an extra cost of $0.50 (yes, 50 cents) in taxes & fees. ^

So kirkpt, in case you don't want to overnight in AUH at Yas Island anymore, I just wanted to let you know of this other option.
Thanks for sharing your end result.

Did AA make any fuss about changing from an award using their partners vs oneworld members? Did you have the option for a QR flight on AUH-MLE vs the EY flight you booked? I remember asking about the change fees when I made my booking, and was told a switch of partner airlines to oneworld airlines would incur a fee.

I'm booked on ORD-AUH-MLE, with a similar 14 hr layover in AUH, but if I could switch it to arrive in MLE in the morning vs late afternoon via DOH, that might be worthwhile (assuming the SO agrees to Y for DOH-MLE).
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by y2chen
Thanks for sharing your end result.

Did AA make any fuss about changing from an award using their partners vs oneworld members? Did you have the option for a QR flight on AUH-MLE vs the EY flight you booked? I remember asking about the change fees when I made my booking, and was told a switch of partner airlines to oneworld airlines would incur a fee.

I'm booked on ORD-AUH-MLE, with a similar 14 hr layover in AUH, but if I could switch it to arrive in MLE in the morning vs late afternoon via DOH, that might be worthwhile (assuming the SO agrees to Y for DOH-MLE).
Hey y2chen,

The AA rep was as nice as could be! When I called I explained I just wanted to get in a bit earlier so as not to waste most of the day, and then I proceeded to tell that I wanted to keep the first leg intact (JFK-AUH) in J, which is what really mattered to me as that is the longest stretch, but that from AUH to MLE via DOH I didn't care if I was in coach.

I had found the flights I wanted using KVSTools that met the minimum connection time (60 mins at either airport), which for me was EY391 in order to get onto QR672. The agent proceeded to check availability (which I knew was there thanks to KVSTools), and informed me that there would be no change in mileage, but would require an additional 50 cents. And that was it. No change fees, nothing. Not even because I was changing the routing so close to the date. Now I am AA Gold: if that makes any difference, I don't know? They charged my card (which is a bit silly because it probably cost them more than that to run the transaction!)

I would say that if you are planning on making the change, do it as soon as you see QR672 with availability, because for months only QR674 was open for OW members, which is the one that leaves around seven hours later.

To my mind, I just couldn't face doing the JFK-AUH (or DOH) in coach, but I have no problem doing a four hour flight in coach, especially if it gets me almost eight hours more in CR on a five-night stay. Hopefully your SO feels the same way!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by vandesa
I never received an offer to upgrade. I did check inventory, but it appears that the resort is sold out for my dates.

Is anyone else there Feb 2 to 10?
I'll be there Jan 26 to Feb 6. Hope to see y'all
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Reporting live, there was a fire last night on the main island in the generators. Nobody was hurt, but power is out on the main island, and wifi is out even over here. [I'm online with 3G hotspot, so it appears the cell tower is working, or I'm picking up a signal from another island...]
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:09 pm

Late Friday Departure

I am 2.5 months away from a week in Maldives and I just realized that my departure flight from MLE to SIN is 11PM. it will be my wife, myself and a 1.5 year old baby.

So far, my options are:

1) Pay to extend the checkout at Conrad and get to the airport as late as possible.
2) Checkout @ 1100 or 1200, get to the airport and chill at the lounge until the late night flight..

Any other suggestion or ideas?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
You can checkout at 11-12 then enjoy the island until the last seaplane (5-6pm ish). You will still need to go to the seaplane lounge as I believe the airport only lets you in 3 hours before your flight. Paying for a late checkout won't help too much as you will still be on the last seaplane of the day.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by Thundershaft
I am 2.5 months away from a week in Maldives and I just realized that my departure flight from MLE to SIN is 11PM. it will be my wife, myself and a 1.5 year old baby.

So far, my options are:

1) Pay to extend the checkout at Conrad and get to the airport as late as possible.
2) Checkout @ 1100 or 1200, get to the airport and chill at the lounge until the late night flight..

Any other suggestion or ideas?
You have to pay to stay at the lounge. $ 85 per person. You get a nice dinner and can take a shower, though.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
amen to that!!!
I'll second that - we always dressed for dinner and we never found it was uncomfortably hot. To us that's part of why we visit resorts like the Conrad.

Happy New Year to everyone! :-)
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:43 am

Had a small fire at the conrad maldives last night. Fire in the power plant. Some rooms on main island evacuated . Staff were exelent. No one hurt. No power on main island all day but back to normal now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.