FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:52 pm
ukinny2000

Originally Posted by y2chen
Thanks for sharing your end result.

Did AA make any fuss about changing from an award using their partners vs oneworld members? Did you have the option for a QR flight on AUH-MLE vs the EY flight you booked? I remember asking about the change fees when I made my booking, and was told a switch of partner airlines to oneworld airlines would incur a fee.

I'm booked on ORD-AUH-MLE, with a similar 14 hr layover in AUH, but if I could switch it to arrive in MLE in the morning vs late afternoon via DOH, that might be worthwhile (assuming the SO agrees to Y for DOH-MLE).
Hey y2chen,

The AA rep was as nice as could be! When I called I explained I just wanted to get in a bit earlier so as not to waste most of the day, and then I proceeded to tell that I wanted to keep the first leg intact (JFK-AUH) in J, which is what really mattered to me as that is the longest stretch, but that from AUH to MLE via DOH I didn't care if I was in coach.

I had found the flights I wanted using KVSTools that met the minimum connection time (60 mins at either airport), which for me was EY391 in order to get onto QR672. The agent proceeded to check availability (which I knew was there thanks to KVSTools), and informed me that there would be no change in mileage, but would require an additional 50 cents. And that was it. No change fees, nothing. Not even because I was changing the routing so close to the date. Now I am AA Gold: if that makes any difference, I don't know? They charged my card (which is a bit silly because it probably cost them more than that to run the transaction!)

I would say that if you are planning on making the change, do it as soon as you see QR672 with availability, because for months only QR674 was open for OW members, which is the one that leaves around seven hours later.

To my mind, I just couldn't face doing the JFK-AUH (or DOH) in coach, but I have no problem doing a four hour flight in coach, especially if it gets me almost eight hours more in CR on a five-night stay. Hopefully your SO feels the same way!