Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by jozdemir
Hey hey, it's 4 points p/AUD

Raking it in!
LOL. Thanks for the info. I thought it was calculated in USD though? Still way better than the 2 it used to be.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
LOL. Thanks for the info. I thought it was calculated in USD though? Still way better than the 2 it used to be.
Yep 4 points per AUD isn't great but at $0 ongoing with Gold, 1 free night at $12k each year, and Diamond at $40k AUD it isn't terrible as there are very few cards with hotel status in Australia.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
I believe if the transaction charged is in USD (even if performed at foreign country), then the FTF doesnt apply.

No personal experience with Surpass specifically, but I think that's how Amex works.
Hmm anyone here has experience with this?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Since it's a honeymoon and all, why not extend your stay at Rangali and shorten it at CMB. You won't regret it. Personally I would do 1 / 8 or maybe 2 / 7.
When I say CMB, I mean fly there then get out into the country.

Sigiriya and Millenium or Pinniwala elephant sanctuary are all the are on our must do list so far. We are open to other suggestions i.e. Hiking Adams Peak, tea plantations etc. I would like to check out the beaches, but it might not be practical with that amount of time.

We like adventure, so forgive that the 4 to 5 day ratio of relaxing at the Conrad should suffice.

MF, what do you recommend I should call in or email to the Conrad now that we are 2 weeks out?

Such as concerning honeymoon dinner, scubadiving, etc?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:55 pm

If you have set plans, i.e; to do excursion X on particular day, do dinner at a particular restaurant on a particular day, then yes, by all means email them with your whole schedule now as they take reservations up to 2 weeks prior. It might sound unspontaneous and sticking to a rigid schedule, but at least for us and I've heard from many others, it doesn't seem at all like that when you are there. You will need to book the main restaurants / special dinners a few days in advance if you want to be assured you'll have a table anyway so might as well plan it out, especially since you're only there for 5N. You don't want to be in the position where you have to miss out on a dinner at places like Mandhoo, Sunset Grill or Vilu.

Also, be aware that the honeymoon dinner is going to be at Mandhoo and that it's closed on Mondays.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:50 am

Thanks for the info! Can't wait!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
I don't think AMEX gives a hoot about the denomination in which the charge occurs. That FTF is going to hit.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:06 pm

Looks awesome

http://maldives.net.mv/21175/waldorf-astoria-to-return-to-maldives-in-2019-with-waldorf-astoria-maldives-ithaafushi-resort/
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by mortarteam91
Hmm anyone here has experience with this?
Originally Posted by Abidjan
I don't think AMEX gives a hoot about the denomination in which the charge occurs. That FTF is going to hit.
I used my Surpass card. No issues with forex fees. 62,832 bonus points for Hilton spend. Still mad I never signed up for the double points promo

I wouldn't do this outside of the Conrad Maldives though. I'm guessing most resorts charge you in local currency with the option to convert to USD. This generally adds a bank conversion fee, plus cc forex fees, on top of a crappy exchange rate. The CM bills everything in USD from start to finish. I don't have the slightest clue the value of a rufiyaa to the dollar.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by itsj0nathan
Guess I'll be heading back to the Maldives then!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by manneca
There are some fairly recent discussions on food costs upthread.

Meals are fairly expensive: I'd allot $60-70 for dinner pp, no alcohol. If you're not diving, eat breakfast late and skip lunch if you're on a budget. IIRC, lunch entrees run about $30-40 or so. There's a half board option: see the WIKI.

There are some pricey alternatives for dinner. Again, go back a few months and scan the thread for discussions of these. (I allot about $300 per day for two for lunch and dinner with alcohol and some pricey options.)

I thought menus were posted but I didn't see them on the WIKI
How late is late for breakfast?

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Still, though, I think you'd want to:

1. Bill everything to your room.
2. Have Diamond status if possible.
3. Sign up for any Hilton promos available. Currently they're running a double points promo.
4. If you're based in the US, get the Amex Hilton Surpass card and use it to pay.

Just based on some estimates from what others are spending, we could earn enough points from our 10-night stay for another 2- or 3-night stay.
Originally Posted by gnomey
I believe if the transaction charged is in USD (even if performed at foreign country), then the FTF doesnt apply.

No personal experience with Surpass specifically, but I think that's how Amex works.
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
I used my Surpass card. No issues with forex fees. 62,832 bonus points for Hilton spend. Still mad I never signed up for the double points promo

I wouldn't do this outside of the Conrad Maldives though. I'm guessing most resorts charge you in local currency with the option to convert to USD. This generally adds a bank conversion fee, plus cc forex fees, on top of a crappy exchange rate. The CM bills everything in USD from start to finish. I don't have the slightest clue the value of a rufiyaa to the dollar.
They did offer bill in USD for check-in, however it showed up as a foreign transaction on my Amex alerts, is this a DCC thing?

Finally here and checked in last night, wow amazing place so far.

Took a domestic flight to Maamigili (Villa) and the speedboat to Rangali. I have to say I think we were going over 60 in the speedboat.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:34 pm

Awesome indeed. Thanks for the heads up. Will most definitely be paying a visit.

Originally Posted by mnredfox
How late is late for breakfast?
10:30. They start removing the food at 11:00. The only exception is New Years Day when you can eat until midday. Enjoy your stay!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Finally here and checked in last night, wow amazing place so far.

Took a domestic flight to Maamigili (Villa) and the speedboat to Rangali. I have to say I think we were going over 60 in the speedboat.
What time did you arrive MLE, and how long was the domestic flight + speedboat? I am also thinking of doing a late night transfer...
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:09 am

I'm very curious to see how this develops. The Waldorf brand provides almost no benefits to HHonors status holders. It'd be a bummer to make a point booking and not get any meals or upgrades thrown in.

Last edited by lhrhappy; Aug 31, 2017 at 8:10 am Reason: grammar. haven't had coffee yet.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:18 am

I get the feeling that, along with the new UWVs/UWS at CR, standard villas at the WA are going to become horrendously expensive pointswise or even 'exempt' in some way (like CR already is as far as free upgrades goes). If they do allow redemption bookings then maybe we're going to be looking at 200-300K/N and premium rooms perhaps 750K - 1M or even off the books entirely. Remember with all this points pooling there are going to be a few people (not hordes but more than you would expect) that will have a couple million to spare and they know where they're going to spend them. Also, it will be pretty hard to even get paid upgrades to those (UW) categories when the rich oil moguls from the Middle East hear of them, not to mention people with a lot of cash to spare in TROTW. Also, it will be very interesting to see what kind of opening promos are going to be had for the WA.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Aug 31, 2017 at 11:11 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.