Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cheltenham {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cheltenham {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Back again tomorrow. Upgraded to queen deluxe garden view, have picked a room which I know will have an adjoining door but will give it a go. All rooms on OLCI available seemed to have them! Will be a late arrival. early leave, so as long as I can get a bar meal and sleep I don't mind.
Just a thought from past experience. The car park in front of the hotel main entrance can get / can look quite full. Go just past the pub though and the hotel has a massive additional car park, normally with plenty of space.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Skimanant
Back again tomorrow. Upgraded to queen deluxe garden view, have picked a room which I know will have an adjoining door but will give it a go. All rooms on OLCI available seemed to have them! Will be a late arrival. early leave, so as long as I can get a bar meal and sleep I don't mind.
Just a thought from past experience. The car park in front of the hotel main entrance can get / can look quite full. Go just past the pub though and the hotel has a massive additional car park, normally with plenty of space.
yep, that's where I parked around the back, in fact it's a short walk to the rear entrance of the hotel......that said you probably already know this..........hope it goes ok for you tomorrow night mate.......let us know how you get on.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHons diamond
As an update from my last review in June 2017; having continued to stay periodically at this hotel over the past two years, I have finally lost patience with the variability. There’s been an ongoing luck of the draw in the type/size of room with generally no choice of room at online checkin in the 24 hours before staying, occasional lengthy queues in the time it takes to check in and out, and 50/50 outcome in whether reception staff remember that diamond members get drinks vouchers.

It’s fine for a one night business stay so long as you don’t have luggage to lug up and down stairs, do not want to be confident of a quick checkin/checkout, know what to ask for as a diamond member, and are happy to be a 10 minute drive from Cheltenham. And the lack of air conditioning makes it a definite place to avoid in the (admittedly rare) case of high temperatures. Unfortunately, not a place that I would recommend to any tourist or someone looking for a special break.
wizla likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nickl
As an update from my last review in June 2017; having continued to stay periodically at this hotel over the past two years, I have finally lost patience with the variability. There’s been an ongoing luck of the draw in the type/size of room with generally no choice of room at online checkin in the 24 hours before staying, occasional lengthy queues in the time it takes to check in and out, and 50/50 outcome in whether reception staff remember that diamond members get drinks vouchers.

It’s fine for a one night business stay so long as you don’t have luggage to lug up and down stairs, do not want to be confident of a quick checkin/checkout, know what to ask for as a diamond member, and are happy to be a 10 minute drive from Cheltenham. And the lack of air conditioning makes it a definite place to avoid in the (admittedly rare) case of high temperatures. Unfortunately, not a place that I would recommend to any tourist or someone looking for a special break.
Thanks for coming back with the info, I quite liked my stay here a couple of years back however I do remember the long queues in reception , I also remember the many stairs too carrying two suitcases up and down ( I had my elderly mother with me ) ......nice building but not overly practical.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nickl

Thanks for the update. I was looking at this place for a 2-3 night stay to be close to the Cotswolds. But no air conditioning means that I wouldn't want to risk an August booking.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 4:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Any recent experiences here, or rooms/ areas of the hotel to avoid?

First time here and at 11:00 on day of arrival no sign of any upgrade, online availability showing plenty of available rooms for potential to upgrade to.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
A very average stay or even below average stay!

arrived late at night just before 2200, no upgrade had been given from the “cosy double” if booked.
App showed various deluxe rooms, however front desk refused to upgrade and told me there were no available rooms despite me showing availability.

room was in the main building up on the second floor, general appearance of the corridor areas was shabby with carpets that needed a good hoover to remove the obvious soil / leaves on them.
Tray and bottles outside room which didn’t move during stay.

Room was pokey with badly fitting old windows above the adjacent pub.
Bathroom tiny with small shower cubicle with shower with very low water pressure.

Breakfast was busy with an odd queue on stairs due to positioning of welcome desk.
Only one coffee machine working and hot breakfast area very busy.
Food was hot but bacon was very fatty and sausages definitely not as described (premium).

Wouldn't bother with it again and would much rather stay at Puckrup hall or even Swindon.
it had an overall feeling that it needed quite a bit of investment and in comparison with somewhere like the Doubletree in Liverpool, in a completely different league!
:D! likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:06 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by adobbing

arrived late at night just before 2200, no upgrade had been given from the “cosy double” if booked.
App showed various deluxe rooms, however front desk refused to upgrade and told me there were no available rooms despite me showing availability.

room was in the main building up on the second floor, general appearance of the corridor areas was shabby with carpets that needed a good hoover to remove the obvious soil / leaves on them.

Bathroom tiny with small shower cubicle with shower with very low water pressure.

Breakfast was busy with an odd queue on stairs due to positioning of welcome desk.
Food was hot but bacon was very fatty and sausages definitely not as described (premium).

Wouldn't bother with it again and would much rather stay at Puckrup hall or even Swindon.
it had an overall feeling that it needed quite a bit of investment and in comparison with somewhere like the Doubletree in Liverpool, in a completely different league!
Looks like it hasn't changed much since our visit in 2017. Never been back and the lack of a/c and elevators put us off and don't think we'll return in the near future.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cjd
Looks like it hasn't changed much since our visit in 2017. Never been back and the lack of a/c and elevators put us off and don't think we'll return in the near future.
Yes, the stairs are an issue along with the odd layout.

I was trying to decide if it would be a better experience in a better room, but the overall experience aside from the room was like a very dreary low end hotel like a Britannia.

I’m sure it could be very nice with investment, but it needs a lot!
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for coming back and telling us your views, it’s appreciated and I enjoy reading them.

I stayed here in summer 2017 and just had a scroll back at my report.......it wasn’t great too, seemed ok but issues with my mothers room and uninterested dinner staff , it appears to have not changed much , they could have at least given you an upgrade, that’s very stingy of them.
Myself, I would definitely choose Tewksbury over this one if I’m ever in the area.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wizla
Thanks for coming back and telling us your views, it’s appreciated and I enjoy reading them.

I stayed here in summer 2017 and just had a scroll back at my report.......it wasn’t great too, seemed ok but issues with my mothers room and uninterested dinner staff , it appears to have not changed much , they could have at least given you an upgrade, that’s very stingy of them.
Myself, I would definitely choose Tewksbury over this one if I’m ever in the area.
Yes, Puckrup Hall, even though not perfect, is far better.
One me of my pet hates is being told there are no upgrades available when clearly there are!

Was interested to see what it’s like, now I know!
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Yes, Puckrup Hall, even though not perfect, is far better.
One me of my pet hates is being told there are no upgrades available when clearly there are!

Was interested to see what it’s like, now I know!
Spot on!....... the upgrade thing irritates me too when it’s clearly obvious they simply cannot be arsed .

I’ve only stayed at puckrup once and it was okay except the terrible breakfast but I’ve heard they have improved it since.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
My adult daughter and I stayed here for two nights last month, and our overall the experience was positive. We needed parking and a moderately priced room in the Cotswold area and this property checked those boxes. We received an upgrade to a large twin deluxe with a garden view on the 400s corridor. I didn’t realize that the hotel didn’t have an elevator – not a deal breaker for me even though I am nursing a leg injury, but my daughter has mobility limitations and this was challenging for her (entirely my fault for assuming it had one). The front desk confirmed that there was 24 hr access to/from the parking lot from our wing but that was not the case, something to think about when parking in the overflow lot during stormy weather. Our bathroom was clean and spacious and the large windows in the room opened wide enough to freshen the indoor air well. Late evening room service was a fail, as restaurant staff claimed there was little more than pizza to order and had no interest in clarifying our other options over the phone. We received drink vouchers, but the bar was brightly lit and full of children. Pass.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

https://www.business-live.co.uk/comm...apses-24104531

A luxury hotel in Cheltenham has collapsed into administration, BusinessLive can exclusively reveal.

Lethendy Cheltenham Limited, which trades as the DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham, was placed into administration on May 19 with Chris Newell, Nick Parsk, and Louise Durkan of business advisory firm Quantuma appointed as joint administrators.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:56 am

I decided to take one for the team and stay at the Cheltenham Doubletree after reading the various critical reviews here and on TripAdvisor. (These were our Easter plans that booked pretty late, we booked 2 nights for a total of 91K points. I think we were given the standard one category upgrade to a Queen Deluxe Room with a view, room 433. Room 433 seemed to be in pretty good condition, it was large and the bathroom was clean. There was a lack of plug sockets bedside reflecting the age of the property. There was also a wall mounted fan. We were given a baby cot that hand minimal padding, I find this issue in most hotels.

Breakfast was served in the main restaurant, full English items were good, the fruit and in particular the watermelon did not look very edible at all. Staff were excellent, and even held onto one of my son's infant spoons that we left behind by accident.

We also went for a swim in the pool that was fine.
The main reason for us visiting was the close proximity to the Cotswolds town of Bourton-on-the-water. This was an easy 25 minute drive away. My advice if doing the same is to arrive early. We got to the public car park there at 10:10am on Easter Saturday and by 10:30am the car park was completely full. We had lunch, had a walk around the town and visited the bird park and observed gridlocked traffic along the whole of the main road all day as cars tried in vain to park in the full car park or limited parking nearby.

We had a great pub lunch in the Langton near the hotel. We also had dinner in the pub connected to the doubletree. This meal was hardly spectacular but good value for money.
Overall I would only stay in this hotel again if the rates were low. Puckrup Hall is another ageing Hilton but in my opinion seemed less run down when we stayed last year. It will be interesting if this hotel ever gets renovated again and stays as a Doubletree.

Hallways were definitely channelling a 90s Butlins hotel vibe

Room 433 view

The bathroom had 2 sets of tile designs, so maybe this was partially refurbished recently?

Last edited by Thepi; Mar 31, 2024 at 10:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.