Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Compensation request to hotel management and what type of compensation should I ask?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation request to hotel management and what type of compensation should I ask?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by theaccesscard
I left my laptop and my cellphone inside my luggage because im in hurry. Did I need to ask hotel not to move my stuff?Isn't that they does not supposed to move my stuff without my permission?again as I stated before,It is not about me but it is about what they should not do.what ever reason it is,they need my permission to move my stuff or else just leave some note later.
If you would have taken 30 seconds to stop at the desk on your way out of the hotel to let them know that you were going out and you did not want to move until your return there would have been no problem. You chose not to and the hotel acted based upon your previous request that you wanted to be moved to another room. I think they were just doing their best to acommodate your previous request to be moved.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:26 am

OP, where are you from?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
If you would have taken 30 seconds to stop at the desk on your way out of the hotel to let them know that you were going out and you did not want to move until your return there would have been no problem. You chose not to and the hotel acted based upon your previous request that you wanted to be moved to another room. I think they were just doing their best to acommodate your previous request to be moved.
And If the hotel could just simply left a note saying that i can grab my new room key at the front desk,this issue will not happen.again it is about the choice that the staff decided to choose either move the stuff by themself or asking someone permission first and bare in mind that I asked for the room key to be deliverd not my thing to be move.Moving someone belonging without asking permission is obviously not a right things to do.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum,Hilton Diamond
If you are the person incharge and you have a choice between asking permission first before move the stuff or just move it by yourself,which one would you choose?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by theaccesscard
If you are the person incharge and you have a choice between asking permission first before move the stuff or just move it by yourself,which one would you choose?
It probably goes without saying based on my previous response, but if someone was as upset as you evidently were about your room and asked to be moved, I would move your stuff and would consider it a good deed that you did not have to wait to move your own stuff until you returned very late at night.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
It probably goes without saying based on my previous response, but if someone was as upset as you evidently were about your room and asked to be moved, I would move your stuff and would consider it a good deed that you did not have to wait to move your own stuff until you returned very late at night.
+1. Entirely reasonable for the staff to move your stuff, securely, as part of the service.

You should have compensation for the gross room and the delay, but at least as many people would be furious that they had to move their own stuff after all the other issues.

If anything was taken, that would be wrong - but completely separate from what you seem to be complaining about.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I disagree with most of the responses here. If the hotel didn't even indicate to the OP that they planned to move his/her belongings, they should not have done so. IMO it requires explicit permission for hotel staff to move a guest's belongings. OTOH, the OP should have told the front desk that since the new keycard wasn't ready as promised, he/she needed to go out and would change rooms upon return to the hotel. There seem to have been communication problems on both sides.

However, I wonder why the hotel elected to give OP a new room rather than properly clean the room that was given. I hope the new room was an upgrade.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

However, I wonder why the hotel elected to give OP a new room rather than properly clean the room that was given. I hope the new room was an upgrade.
I can answer this one. Primarily, if a guest has seen a room dirty, pretty much no matter what you do to clean it, they will still think it is dirty. Secondarily, you need to have the guest out of the room to clean it properly and you don't want to inconvenience the guest by forcing them out of the room for an extended period of time.
As to an upgrade or not, in my experience, on both sides of this question, it is fairly reliant on the veracity of the complaint. If the room is really as bad as the OP says, then we would find a very nice alternative for them. If it is not quite up to par, but the guy is being a jerk and exaggerating the issues, then an identical room is far more likely.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
I've only had 1 experience bad enough to complain about at the DTKL over the 5 years I've stayed with them. And this was a hot water issue sometime after midnight. Never had the problem again after notifying the Careline.

OP is asking what compensation he/she is entitled to, after :

1. receiving a dirty room
2. overdue estimate for new room
3. belongings moved to new room without notification

Did you leave the DND light on ?

if not, IMHO the hotel provided you a new room hence no further compensation required.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I disagree with most of the responses here. If the hotel didn't even indicate to the OP that they planned to move his/her belongings, they should not have done so. IMO it requires explicit permission for hotel staff to move a guest's belongings. OTOH, the OP should have told the front desk that since the new keycard wasn't ready as promised, he/she needed to go out and would change rooms upon return to the hotel. There seem to have been communication problems on both sides.
Agreed. The OP said

"I just assume that they might come to my room and see Im not there and instead leave some note asking me to pick up the new key later"

We all know what happens when you assume.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Why do I get the impression that had the hotel *not* moved the OP's stuff, we would be reading a similar complaint thread about how "I was out with my friend until after midnight and came back to find all my things still strewn around my old room--they didn't even bother to pack and move my possessions for me!"?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Cymro
You should have compensation for the gross room and the delay, but at least as many people would be furious that they had to move their own stuff after all the other issues.
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Why do I get the impression that had the hotel *not* moved the OP's stuff, we would be reading a similar complaint thread about how "I was out with my friend until after midnight and came back to find all my things still strewn around my old room--they didn't even bother to pack and move my possessions for me!"?
Yes. I used to be a Night Manager at an upscale hotel. Our policy was that we would gladly move guest's property when switching room...but only when the guest was present.

On multiple occasions, I got chewed out when guests returned late in the evening expecting to simply pick up the key to their new room with everything moved. They would say something (in a condescending tone) like: "The Four Seasons in Singapore moved everything for me. I thought you were supposed to be the best hotel in town."
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Yes. I used to be a Night Manager at an upscale hotel. Our policy was that we would gladly move guest's property when switching room...but only when the guest was present.

On multiple occasions, I got chewed out when guests returned late in the evening expecting to simply pick up the key to their new room with everything moved. They would say something (in a condescending tone) like: "The Four Seasons in Singapore moved everything for me. I thought you were supposed to be the best hotel in town."
Hilton should just have an option on our hhonors account page..."When we put you in a nasty room and you storm out of the hotel after demanding a new one, would you like us to move your belongings?"
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
+1. Yet another example of damned if you do, damned if you don't in the hospitality industry...similar to the recent thread about some guy who was annoyed with an upgrade.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:26 pm

The OP is not completely in the right, since they did not tell the hotel beforehand that they were leaving/not to touch their belongings. It is also completely unreasonable to expect them to leave a room key there until you are ready to move. During the time you are not moving, they are losing revenue from one room. If you were not able to make it back until late, you should tell the hotel so. That one room could lose them a few hundred dollars in revenue from a last minute rack rate guest.

The hotel might have seen it as a good deed, and the belongings were completely in tact, so I do not see this as a valid grounds for complaint. The dirty room could do with some compensation (however, we do not know whether this is exaggerated).

I'd say in this case it is not worth chasing up or compensating the OP, especially as the rate at KLDT is extremely cheap (yes, that matters), and that the problem was solved quite well. At worst case, the hotel should ask AT THE TIME of the guest complaining whether belongings are allowed to be moved. However, it is reasonable that they did so (and kept your belongings intact) as many people would see it as a sign of good service.

Sometimes you need to roll with the small things though.. I don't believe OP should start jabbing the hotel for compensation based on what happened. It seems as if OP is exaggerating (dangerous sharp razor on floor, blood stain etc.) in order to chase compensation. If these are not exaggerations however, I think you should chase it up with at least some points. You just can't expect a hotel to keep 2 empty rooms for you for you to move whenever you want to.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by mingzie; Aug 31, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.