FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Canopy by Hilton Reykjavik City Centre {ISL} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1751069-canopy-hilton-reykjavik-city-centre-isl.html)

jasdou Aug 24, 2018 7:31 am

Just booked a 5 nights award stay there for Novembre. Are there free/cheap parking options close to this property?

Canarsie Aug 24, 2018 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by jasdou (Post 30124318)
Just booked a 5 nights award stay there for Novembre. Are there free/cheap parking options close to this property?

Free parking on the street is available overnight approximately a block away — if parking spots are available.

I believe the hours are from 6:00 in the evening through 10:00 in the morning; but I have to double-check on that...

Burghs Aug 24, 2018 9:17 pm

Parking options

Parking in the Hallgrímskirkja (cathedral) parking lot is always free, if you can find a space. Otherwise, street parking is free overnight, and there are plenty of available spaces around the hotel. If I recall from a few weeks ago, parking is free overnight until about 9 a.m., and becomes free again around 7-8 p.m. (depending on the day of the week). A few mornings, I didn’t make it to the parking pay station until 9:30-9:45 a.m., and didn’t receive any tickets in the meantime.

exerda Oct 2, 2018 12:51 pm

Had a 1 night stay on the last night of our late-September trip. Used points (70k) as even at the end of September, the $$$ rates were a bit high, and I have points to spare at the moment.

Received an "upgraded" room on the top floor (booked a queen room of some sort for 70k); it had two full-size beds pushed against each other for a king-size-esque experience (have had this elsewhere in Europe previously). Room was fine, aside from the fact that they'd left the window open but closed the curtains (so it was very noisy overnight and into the morning--and we just assumed it was due to the winds, until the next morning I opened the curtains and noticed the open windows). Like everywhere else we stayed in Iceland during the trip, in-room climate control was via radiator and windows. Temps were fine with the radiator turned down to 1 or 2.

Location is good; I like the Konsulat's location a tad bit better, but it depends on what you're up to when you're in town. We walked all the way to RVK Brewing (over much closer to the Nordica) and enjoyed the 15-20 minute walk--incidentally, no way in heck is the Nordica even within 15 minutes walk of the city center. Parking is somewhat better than the Konsulat, as there is a garage right around the corner where you don't have to worry as much about hitting the pay station or meters before 9am each day (and I believe it's a bit cheaper than the zone 1 street parking); there's also zone 2 street parking (a bit cheaper) within easy distance.

We asked at check-in about a late checkout, given we had a midnight flight. I was hoping for 2, 3, or even 4pm (it being a Monday) so that we could go have a full morning, lunch, then return and shower & pack, and then drop bags off for the afternoon, but all they would offer was 1pm (normal check-out is noon). They also forgot to program the late checkout, so that when we got back from lunch (at about 12:15pm), the room wouldn't open. Once we got that taken care of, we left the bags until around 6pm (had planned to leave them as late as 8, but it started to rain heavily, so we headed to the airport a bit early).

My only pet peeve about the interior space is that the elevators are right in between a bunch of bookshelves stocked with vinyl albums; almost every time we came through, there were people there going through the albums and making it hard to get through.

vh_bu98 Oct 15, 2018 1:21 pm

What are the chances of seeing the northern lights from the hotel or is there too much light pollution since it's in the city? And what are diamond benefits these days here?

Adam1222 Oct 15, 2018 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by vh_bu98 (Post 30318254)
What are the chances of seeing the northern lights from the hotel or is there too much light pollution since it's in the city? And what are diamond benefits these days here?

As of this summer, diamond benefits were a pamphlet on Reykjavik, a bottle of water, and a space available upgrade.

mastermc54 Feb 19, 2019 10:43 pm

Would it be safe to book a room at the Canopy with one guest and have 2 people stay using the Hilton Honors 2nd guest free benefit? It seems all Reykjavik Hilton properties have the rate go up when you select 2 guests. I am a Diamond member, not that it matters much for my question as the 2nd guest free benefit applies to all levels of members according to the information I've seen regarding program benefits.

:D! Feb 20, 2019 1:53 am

Originally Posted by mastermc54 (Post 30800029)
Would it be safe to book a room at the Canopy with one guest and have 2 people stay using the Hilton Honors 2nd guest free benefit? It seems all Reykjavik Hilton properties have the rate go up when you select 2 guests. I am a Diamond member, not that it matters much for my question as the 2nd guest free benefit applies to all levels of members according to the information I've seen regarding program benefits.

Yes, you can write the 2nd guest's name in the reservation if you want to let them know there are actually 2 people coming

jasdou Feb 20, 2019 6:32 am

Originally Posted by mastermc54 (Post 30800029)

I have stayed at this property with my wife a 2-year old daughter and booked the room for a single guest only. We had no issue whatsoever.

747FC Feb 20, 2019 10:02 am

Tour Guide

Anyone find a good tour guide for exploring Reykjavik and beyond. I'd appreciate any leads.

Also, any recommendations for a car service from KEF to the hotel?

Many thanks!

Adam1222 Feb 20, 2019 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 30801620)
Anyone find a good tour guide for exploring Reykjavik and beyond. I'd appreciate any leads.

Many thanks!

For the former, I'd suggest the Destinations forum. But you don't really need a tour guide for Reykjavik itself.

jasdou Feb 21, 2019 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 30801620)

Many thanks!

We did a walking tour with CitiWalk.is and it was great. Highly recommended and 5-10 minutes walking distance from the Canopy.

747FC Feb 21, 2019 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222 (Post 30802261)
For the former, I'd suggest the Destinations forum. But you don't really need a tour guide for Reykjavik itself.

Originally Posted by jasdou (Post 30806109)
We did a walking tour with CitiWalk.is and it was great. Highly recommended and 5-10 minutes walking distance from the Canopy.

Many thanks!

Dsm2m2 Feb 28, 2019 10:03 am

Does anyone know when this hotel will open the schedule beyond 12/26/19? Looking to booking early Jan 2020 but no dates open beyond 12/26/19 at the moment.

frmnj Apr 4, 2019 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by jasdou (Post 30800902)
I have stayed at this property with my wife a 2-year old daughter and booked the room for a single guest only. We had no issue whatsoever.

Are the rooms big enough for a couple and two kids under 7? When booking online like most European properties the system is forcing you to book two rooms. Do you think we will have problems if we book a room for two adults and show up with the two young kids too?