FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Canopy by Hilton Reykjavik City Centre {ISL} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1751069-canopy-hilton-reykjavik-city-centre-isl.html)

Zhaunk Mar 5, 2016 10:00 am

Canopy by Hilton Reykjavik City Centre {ISL}

Taking reservations for stays starting August 31. 70k on points, points and cash available.

MissJ Apr 7, 2016 4:15 pm

Keeping this one alive. I can't wait to see reviews. I'm in Reykjavik in November and would consider spending some more $$ or points if this one turns out to be something special.

bkafrick Apr 23, 2016 3:06 pm

Updated opening date:

"This hotel will soon be joining the Hilton Worldwide Portfolio of Brands and is presently accepting reservations for arrival July 15, 2016 and beyond."

Points at 70k for summer. Drops to 60k points as of October 1.

Abidjan Apr 24, 2016 7:21 am

This is good news, thanks.

aroundtheworld76 Apr 25, 2016 3:02 pm

Interesting...I've always liked the Nordica, despite it being a bit of a walk from town. First EL I ever visited that had shots of fish oil on offer. May have to check this one out.

HKG_Flyer1 Jul 2, 2016 1:29 pm

Bumping this up. Thinking about staying here in August, but the rates are astronomical and I can find virtually no information on this property.

Even the property's website appears to contain only architectural renderings, with the same close-in photo used to depict each room.

I'm open to springing for a room here, but this seems like a gamble. Not even TripAdvisor has any reviews posted yet.

ExpatSomchai Jul 2, 2016 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1 (Post 26861982)
Bumping this up. Thinking about staying here in August, but the rates are astronomical and I can find virtually no information on this property.

Even the property's website appears to contain only architectural renderings, with the same close-in photo used to depict each room.

I'm open to springing for a room here, but this seems like a gamble. Not even TripAdvisor has any reviews posted yet.

Don't know how you expect TA to have reviews if the hotel isn't open yet :D

HKG_Flyer1 Jul 2, 2016 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai (Post 26861997)
Don't know how you expect TA to have reviews if the hotel isn't open yet :D

Really? Hah... so, when is it opening? This is such a mystery!

Ok. I just checked the rate calendar... it looks like August 1st is their first day.

Shouldn't the FT community chip-in for my trip in return for an FT trip report?

seacow Jul 18, 2016 9:12 am

I've sprung for a 4 night trip in September - not cheap but location looks great - will report back!

Single_Flyer Aug 17, 2016 8:09 pm

Has anyone stayed at this property yet? Worth almost double the other Reykjavik Hilton?

I'm seeing that Diamonds not only get breakfast but also a 3 course dinner.

Toula Aug 19, 2016 4:46 pm

I would also be interested in reading any reviews of this property. We have a stay booked over Thanksgiving into a King Room. I'm wondering whether it's worthy trying to pay for an upgrade to Sea View.

apodo77 Aug 20, 2016 9:40 am

Hope it's OK to link Tripadvisor as there are some reviews on there. If not a google search brings it right up. Looks like there is a ton of construction going on right around the hotel:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...al_Region.html

SNA_Flyer Aug 21, 2016 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer (Post 27080851)
Has anyone stayed at this property yet? Worth almost double the other Reykjavik Hilton?

While I haven't stayed there yet, I'd much rather stay in the neighborhood where this hotel is versus the Nordica. There are many great restaurants, bars and shops in walking distance, where the Nordica is a bit aways from the downtown area.

236Dakota Aug 21, 2016 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer (Post 27080851)

Just checked in at 3:00am
Will report back

236Dakota Aug 25, 2016 4:05 pm

As posted before, we arrived at 3:00AM after a flight delay.

The hotel is currently the only Hilton Canopy brand open and it is now one of my favorite Hiltons. It reminds me of the Hyatt Andaz brand on a somewhat smaller scale.

As a Diamond we were upgraded to a top floor suite with a view of the bay, private porch and we were given vouchers for a 3 course dinner with wine. Unfortunately we left late the following morning, but we are returning the following Saturday and will report back on the dinner.

The location is perfect for walking around the city and they offer complementary bicycles. Our suite was spacious with modern furniture.

A couple of hiccups, but no biggies: The street is currently under construction and closed in front of the hotel which made our GPS useless. The only way we were able to get to the hotel was to call the front desk (with luck we were about 2 blocks away). One of the reception people walked out and found us and guided us in. Due to the road closure parking was free for anyone in the adjacent garage.

The room numbers are not sequential. The building wraps around another, which has an Irish bar in it. The only way we were able to find our room was to go down to the front desk and ask for a guide. We were led outside, across a patio area, and then into another section where our suite was located. Do not expect room 506 to be between 505 and 507 or even in the same section.

Breakfast was outstanding and far and above any Hilton we have stayed at to date. Our only comparable would be the Hyatt Andaz in Amsterdam, including the atmosphere. It appears that breakfast may be given to anyone staying there regardless of status. No vouchers were given and no one asked for our names or room number.

The staff was top notch. We are looking forward to returning this Saturday and we will be checking in early in order to enjoy all the amenities that the Canopy has to offer. Hilton has hit a home run on this new brand.

This hotel is truly an incentive for us to visit the city again, and we will!

Single_Flyer Aug 26, 2016 4:34 pm

I'm staying there in a few weeks. I wanted to check on Diamond amenities. Here is what I received as a reply via email (sic):

I apologize for a late reply, since you are a Dimond member you will receive a voucher at the Canopy Center for three course dinner meal that is complimentary!

The amenities for a Dimond member at Canopy Reykjavík City Center is:
· 3 course meal at Geiri Smart at Canopy Reykjavík City Center

· Two complimentary bottles of water

· Late check out

· Space avaliable upgrade to a preferred room.

· 1,000 HHonors Bonus Points per night.

Guests also get breakfast, gym and eveaning tastings amenities at the hotel.

We are looking forward to accomodate you at our hotel.
We wish you a pleasant flight and look forward to see you.

Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant Aug 27, 2016 3:29 pm

Alright. I'm in.

I just booked two nights for next week. Diamond Dinner offer swung me. :)
I'm going to see if I can stay at Nordica my third night in town (Sept 1) to save 30,000 points because I've got an early flight back and might end up missing the nice breakfast the last morning anyway. (Canopy = 70k, Hilton 40k... However, Hilton is showing sold out. Argggg.)

Will take copious photos and make flyertalk-esque review when I get back.

Never been to Iceland. Excited!

TDM

missamo80 Aug 28, 2016 10:28 am

I'll be there in mid-September and will also post a trip report. They had a pre-pay rate that wound up being about the same as the Nordica for that night.

Neil

236Dakota Aug 29, 2016 3:31 am

For those driving in from the airport: Set your Google Maps app to "Harpa" (the new concert hall venue). Once there, then re-set to the Canopy. This will get you around the current construction, that has the street closed in front of the hotel, and to the parking garage next to the hotel.

If you don't do this the Google Maps app will be constantly re-directing you to turn down streets that are closed to car traffic for the summer tourist season. I don't know when those temporary closures end.

missamo80 Aug 29, 2016 7:28 am

Any idea if Waze does a better job getting around the closures?

Neil

236Dakota Aug 29, 2016 9:23 am

No idea; the data base would need to know that some streets are closed to vehicle traffic seasonally.

In any event, it is much easier, and there are less turn,s if one goes KEF-Harpa-Canopy. In the future I would take this route regardless of the closures.

The seasonally closed streets have light blue gates with bicycles on them, I assume bicycles are OK.

missamo80 Aug 29, 2016 4:48 pm

Well, the Waze database is community-maintained, so I was wondering if the community had marked the streets closed :) I'll find out in Sept!

Neil

Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant Aug 30, 2016 3:45 pm

Checked in at 8pm today. Interesting place. I'm taking pics of everything (annoying my spouse, but anything for flyertalk!), let me know if any questions while I'm here a couple days.

Update: apparently the public garage parking is no longer free.

missamo80 Aug 30, 2016 8:11 pm

"Interesting place" sounds ominous :)

Neil

Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant Sep 4, 2016 3:30 pm

Canopy by hilton reykjavik city centre

Introduction I recently stayed at the newly-opened, first-ever Canopy hotel in Iceland's capital city of Reykjavik. The property had only been open a month and a half, and was still under some construction when I visited, so I accounted most any snags to what one might expect due to normal startup, and botton line up front - This was a very enjoyable stay and concept hotel.Iceland has become (and is still becoming) a recently-popular destination for adventure travel sightseeing, and the whole area seems to be refreshing itself and under some level of growth. The capital still has a small town, safe, unpolluted and clean, easy to navigate feel, but is Iceland's cultural, dining, governmental, and tourist epicenter. Hilton's young, local-hotspot-vibe Canopy brand fits in really well with the city.We rented a car at the KEF airport and easily navigated up the coast north 45 minutes to the city and the hotel. Various buses and shuttles for hire are available as well from the airport to downtown. Check In The hotel entrance doors open to a small cafe on one side of the lobby, and a simple, small check in desk on the other. It is an Ikea-Starbucks mashup feel: European and compact, but warm and pleasant. Earth tones and wood, retro art, and a fireplace with comfortable chairs in the lobby. A simple wood table is staffed with a couple of check-in front desk agents to assist with check in. As a Diamond guest we were welcomed with a dinner certificate (more on that under "dining"), and certainly no lack of service was shown: Due to the construction and a tangle of initially-confusing one-way streets, I wound up temporarily parking a block over, unable to find the front door from the road my Google/GPS directions took me to. I ran in to ask where to park, and a staffer happily offered to pop out to ride with us, showing us exactly what streets to go down to public parking. He gave a mini-local-tour on the way there, extremely friendly and helpful! There is a public parking garage just across the street from the hotel's main doors, reasonably priced. We left our car there, the staffer helped us with tugging bags across the street, and got us to the front desk. We recieved keycards and a little "Passport To Iceland" brochure with our "Icelandic" names for cutesyness. Everyone ready to help, great attitudes, but probably still need a little more HHonors-brand familiarization. I don't believe an upgrade was mentioned at the front desk - I was initially mistaken in thinking we weren't upgraded, but we were actually given the larger King room instead of the Queen I'd booked. I apologize to the hotel for originally saying we were not upgraded!  No waters were offered at check-in, nor were in the room. The brochure said you must ask for them - which I did, and the staff seemed a little unsure of how to do that. They walked me over to the cafe across the lobby and pulled some bottles out of the bar fridge there, but it seemed somewhat ad hoc.The lobby has an elevator (key required to operate) as well as stairs. As some have reported, the property is a little strangely laid out, and I wound up circling a bit, going through firewall doors and down little hallways to find the room. The property is laid out through a few little separate houses, so room numbers might go from, say, 300-325... and 326 is somewhere else down another hall. By the second night, I had it down how to get everywhere, but it was initially a bit of a maze to get from lobby/room/elevator/restaurant/etc. Room The room we were given (338), was a standard King room, upgraded from the Queen bedroom we booked. Entry has a short foyer with an open clothing rack/hanger and some shelves, with luggage storage. I found this useful. Chronic overpackers may need some more space. A spotless, well-lit bathroom with white subway tile and volcanic colortones of grey and blue hues had a shower, toilet, and single sink with a very good brand hairdryer. A good selection of soaps and amenities were represented. The welcome brochure hinted that Iceland's geothermal hot water could potentially smell, but I noticed none of that, and more importantly, my wife, who has the world's most sensitive nose, was not bothered either. They lightheartedly brag that since the hot water is geothermal - you'll never run out, shower as long as you like. And the shower (both handheld and overhead rain-type heads) was as hot as I'd like and lovely after a long flight in. Large spa type towels, which we borrowed for a later trip to Blue Lagoon the next day.The bed was very nice, with a grey duvet and an Icelandic wool throw to curl up in on the chaise seat next to the window. Mattress was on the firm side, but very much to my liking, as well as the wife's who generally likes them on the soft side. Go figure. View of nothing in particular: a quiet street with a restaurant across the way.If you're just tablet or phone connected, you can come from the States, as we did, with no electrical problems - while I brought an outlet adapter, I ended up not needing it and just using the in-wall USB to charge my iPhone and such. USB is by the bedside as well as above the small desk/tv stand on the opposite wall. The TV channels were minimal, but BBC and US news in English as well as a couple local channels. Everyone speaks very fluent English here, btw. Dining The restaurant downstairs, Geri Smart, was a highlight of the stay. All Canopy guests have access to the hip and warm facility's breakfast buffet. High quality hot dishes (fried potatoes, bacon, eggs scrambled and fried), some of the best cold salmon I've ever had, various vegetarian options, a trout rollup, various hearty European breads and croissants with nice jams and nutella/butter/peanut butter/honey, museli, skyr (icelandic yogurt), fresh fruits, small pre-poured smoothies and ginger health shots (even cod liver oil if a shot of that gets you moving), a few juices, and a coffee bar with tea and pots. Iceland is pricey for food, so this is a huge benefit, and I hope it does not change.We also, as Diamond guests, were given a voucher for a three-course "chef's suprise" menu - I gathered that this was only during the opening months, but if it remains, it would be fantastic. We ended up arriving late after a long drive touring - right at closing time. We asked the greeter/maître d' if we were too late - it was apparent that they had started to close the kitchen down, but Joel simply smiled and said "This hotel will not turn away a guest hungry - by all means, let's get you a booth and some dinner." and proceeded to get us served like VIP guests. Fantastic bread with icelandic butter and a spot of sweet dipping vinegar, a starter dish of cauliflower and hay cheese with an edible, bubbled floral oil... monkfish main course with grilled bok choy and carrots and a cream sauce, and a creative dessert bite of marscapone ice cream on butternut squash cake with a sprinkling of liquored pumpkin crumbles. Superb service and creative food - that night made this place for us. Location The downtown is small enough to walk from one end to the other rather quickly, with the famous Hallgrimskirkja church anchoring the far end uphill, the harbor to the side, and the main shopping and strolling street of Laugavegur beside the hotel. Location is perfect for being able to walk around the quaint city area. There are some late night bars and restaurants nearby, so street noise can be heard from some rooms, but this didn't bother me. I assume you could ask for a more interior room if noise concerns you. There is a pedestrian-only road to one side of the property, making parking and finding the hotel a bit confusing, but once you know to come around from the harbor-side of town with the Harpa concert hall, you're easily parked at the public garage. (a note: we went out at 1130pm to see Norther Lights, and came back around 1am to find the garage locked for the night. Ooops. Plan ahead. Thankfully, street parking is free overnight until 9am, so I left my car a block away and made sure to go fetch and repark before breakfast.) Overall This property has a lot of cute charm, is clean as can be, and in the perfect center of the town. Comfortable beds and steamy hot showers, superb breakfast and dining, a little built in coffee house and bistro bar, great staff that helped with any request. Good communications from Hrvoje Kralj, Margrét Silja, BenjamÃ.n Almar, and Gunni, and impeccable service from Joel at Geri Smart. I have stayed at the Nordica Hilton as well, which is much more of a bland business hotel (albiet with a very nice spa and gym) well away outside of the cute downtown. The Canopy has just enough hipster vibe to give some excitement, but ultimately is a cozy and squared away place to base out of for some Iceland touring. It's expensive, but most things in Iceland are - I used a 70k per night point redemption, as the dollar amount was a little more than I'd like to spend (Nordica was 40k points the same time), but I'd definitely stay here at Canopy Reykjavik again.

Single_Flyer Sep 12, 2016 12:21 pm

FYI - just checked in tonight. Clearly still going through some growing pains. Very poorly trained front desk agent -- didn't get my two bottles of water, was told that they no longer offer the free dinner for Diamonds, no mention of 1000 point welcome amenity. I was able to get them to give me the dinner as I said I had been told it was offered. She said it stopped today but they would give it to me anyway.

The room and property is great if you don't look outside. It is still quite literally a construction zone. On all sides. Make sure you have closed toed shoes on when getting to the property -- I had to walk through a muddy path with an active bobcat (bulldozer type thing) working 2 feet away.

Will update as my stay goes on. Room is beautiful and I am sure in the long run it will be great property.

EDIT: Here is a link to my full review -- Junior King Suite http://singleflyer.com/2016/09/15/ca...k-city-centre/

http://i0.wp.com/singleflyer.com/wp-...912_173938.jpghttp://i2.wp.com/singleflyer.com/wp-...912_174219.jpg

missamo80 Sep 12, 2016 2:34 pm

Bummer about no more free dinner, I'm checking in tomorrow night :(

Neil

Single_Flyer Sep 12, 2016 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80 (Post 27202117)
Bummer about no more free dinner, I'm checking in tomorrow night :(

Neil

I told them when I booked I was told I would receive the dinner. They gave it to me. Worth a try.

SNA_Flyer Sep 12, 2016 9:47 pm

Thanks for posting the reviews. Can't wait to stay here my next visit. Looks wonderful.

Regarding bottled water in Iceland: It's completely unnecessary and a waste of plastic. The tap water is some of the cleanest and purest in the world. Do what the locals do and drink it from the faucet.

Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant Sep 12, 2016 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer (Post 27203794)
Thanks for posting the reviews. Can't wait to stay here my next visit. Looks wonderful.

Regarding bottled water in Iceland: It's completely unnecessary and a waste of plastic. The tap water is some of the cleanest and purest in the world. Do what the locals do and drink it from the faucet.

***The problem here is that, as HH diamond members, we're used to the brand standard of being handed two bottles, maybe a gift bag with them upon check in at other Hilton properties. The water *was* great - and had it been explained to us up front, I wouldn't have necessarily missed it. But it felt like the staff just overlooked it. Chalk it up to cultural difference.

The second day, I did want some bottles, however, I could take with me when walking around town. When I requested them, the front desk didn't seem like it was squared away on how to make that happen.

Not a big deal, but this new property just needs to make sure the staff training and customer expectations mesh.

TDM

Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant Sep 12, 2016 11:32 pm

BTW: Is anyone having problems with the photos in the review?

I looked at it on iPhone and iPad, all is proper. I looked at it on a Sony Windows 7 laptop and most of the pics are displaying upside down.

Weirdness.

TDM

Single_Flyer Sep 13, 2016 6:00 am

I'll have a more full review posted later. I am checking out today.

Overall a great property. HOWEVER, I would not recommend staying here yet. The hotel is not finished. This morning they were literally working on installing windows in rooms on my floor. Lots of construction both inside the hotel and on all 4 sides of the property (both on the street but also on the facade of the hotel itself).

Also, the staff is hit or miss. The agent that checked me in was one of the worst I have had. Did not even greet me. However, when I went back later (the first one got a lot of things wrong), I got a GREAT agent that helped with everything.

I think all of these things will be worked out in the long run -- give it 3-4 months. It is a WONDERFUL location and a beautiful hard product. Just wait until they finish construction and get the staff properly trained.

More review and photos coming soon....

Photo outside my room (my door is on the left). Lots of hammering/construction noise.

http://imgur.com/KF9cvCz

http://imgur.com/a/Id2cz

missamo80 Sep 13, 2016 7:11 am

I'm here now. Single_Flyer, where are you???

I agree with Single_Flyer. Don't stay here yet. I got an upgraded room as a diamond member... to the 3rd floor with a room directly over massive outdoor construction, complete with jackhammers. Ugh.

On the plus side they did let me check in at 10am.

Edit: 10 second video clip of the view from my upgraded room, plus audio.

Neil

Single_Flyer Sep 13, 2016 9:43 am

Originally Posted by missamo80 (Post 27205198)
I'm here now. Single_Flyer, where are you???

I agree with Single_Flyer. Don't stay here yet. I got an upgraded room as a diamond member... to the 3rd floor with a room directly over massive outdoor construction, complete with jackhammers. Ugh.

On the plus side they did let me check in at 10am.

Edit: 10 second video clip of the view from my upgraded room, plus audio. Canopy - YouTube

Neil

Sorry I just missed you! Here is a letter that I wrote to the hotel after I checked out today. Hopefully they will take some of my (not so expert) advice. I'd love to see this property succeed. Or else let Hyatt take it over ;)

http://singleflyer.com/2016/09/13/im...opy-by-hilton/

By the way, one of the staff told me they receive their paychecks from Icelandair. Maybe Icelandair owns the property but Hilton manages it?

EWRTravelers Sep 15, 2016 7:22 am

Looks like a good option for KEF. I looked at dates for this Spring and the rates were pretty steep (59,400 kr or 28K points + 16,158 kr) per night.

_kurt Sep 15, 2016 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant (Post 27204082)
BTW: Is anyone having problems with the photos in the review?

I looked at it on iPhone and iPad, all is proper. I looked at it on a Sony Windows 7 laptop and most of the pics are displaying upside down.

I was wondering why they'd built the lobby upside down! In all seriousness, probably related to EXIF orientation tags.

It sounds like the construction should be wrapped up by the time I visit Reykjavik in December, but the hotel is pricing at 62,000 kr / night when the Nordica is less than half that... ouch.

ETA:

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer (Post 27205900)
By the way, one of the staff told me they receive their paychecks from Icelandair. Maybe Icelandair owns the property but Hilton manages it?

This article confirms that both the Canopy and the Nordica are operated by Icelandair:
http://icelandnaturally.com/article/...ns-a-new-hotel

As with all Canopy by Hilton hotels, Canopy Reykjavik | City Centre will be inspired and influenced by its local surroundings. Occupying an entire block, the hotel will provide guests with an opportunity to explore the city on foot. The hotel will be operated by Icelandair Hotels, a subsidiary of Icelandair Group and a long term partner of Hilton Worldwide, having operated Hilton Reykjavik Nordica since it opened in 2007.
Edit again: Also confirmed in an Icelandair press release: http://www.icelandairgroup.is/invest...pens-new-hotel

The hotel is operated by Icelandair Hotels, which has been engaged in a successful partnership with Hilton International since October 2007; the company’s largest hotel, Hilton Reykjavik Nordica, is operated under a franchise agreement with Hilton International.

mitpat474 Dec 7, 2016 6:33 am

will be here on Friday 9th for 4 nights, any tips and tricks for a HH diamond?

Cheers

MP001 Dec 7, 2016 2:08 pm

I was there three weeks ago. As a Diamond I was given two bottles of water, chocolate and popcorn during check in. I booked a basic King room, I was given a premium corner room that was nice. Requested late checkout, granted until 2.00pm. Breakfast is good, cannot say for lunch/dinner as I was out. Overall nice property in excellent central location.

tangel Dec 8, 2016 1:57 pm

Has the construction finished around the hotel?

Deciding between this, Nordica and 101 for a stay in early January.

jkjetsetters Oct 14, 2017 2:04 am

Any recent stays here? We're staying two nights at the end of October, looking forward to it! Awesome location & it looks like a nice place. Do Diamonds still get upgraded pretty frequently here? Thanks!