Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
We were also there during one of the program members events, and they were off to the side of the Botero Bar in a separate area, didn't bother us.

There are many reviews that say the Napua Club is not worth the money, some right here in this thread (the woman who brought all her grandkids and disliked everything).

However, for us peons, who book on points, it is a great property, and you can't beat the pools. I don't come to Hawaii to sit in my room (except on the lanai), and if I had to choose between a room and a pool, I'd vote for the best pool every time.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion & Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Does anyone have contact information for the GM at the Grand Wailea? I am staying on points at the end of Feb and tried to call to negotiate an upgrade to a Napua room and the lady in reservations could not help me. However, I was able to accomplish this the last time I stayed there 5 years ago.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lucjos0224
Does anyone have contact information for the GM at the Grand Wailea? I am staying on points at the end of Feb and tried to call to negotiate an upgrade to a Napua room and the lady in reservations could not help me. However, I was able to accomplish this the last time I stayed there 5 years ago.
Allan Federer
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Here's what I wrote about my stay in 2014:

Originally Posted by hailstorm
If you're just going for the pool, you'll have a good time. It is an amazing facility, complete with the world's only water elevator. The grounds are also very nice for a stroll (though of course you can do that while staying at the Andaz) Besides the pool, everything else is better at the Andaz.

The level of the staff has dropped significantly since our last stay in the late 90's. The level of the Napua Club has dropped even more drastically. Morning and evening offerings, once truly special, are below Hyatt Regency levels. Leave your chair for 30 seconds and you will find a half dozen birds picking away at your food...and they are only the second most offensive vultures you will find, tame compared to the unruly guests that run and scream and shout and steal your chairs without even asking.

We still had fun...how can you not have fun on Maui? But, I think I've had enough fun at the pool, so as a staying guest, I've had my fill of Grand Wailea for the rest of my life.
A couple weeks ago, I saw a post on Twitter promoting a post describing their most disappointing hotel stay ever. I sent a reply to this person saying something like "Sounds like my last stay at @GrandWailea"

A day later, I got a response from the GrandWailea Twitter account asking for my contact details. A couple days after that I got an email from the current Napua Tower and Club Manager, saying they had a record of my two night stay in 2014, and asked me to describe why I considered it so disappointing. I basically repeated the above post with a bit more emphasis on detailing the differences between my two stays. She asked if I had any plans to return to Maui, and when I said that I haven't, she offered two Be My Guest certificates to make up for the experience, which I received today.

I have never heard of a hotel reaching out and proactively making amends for a hotel issue that happened well over three years in the past. Needless to say I've since deleted my tweet, and if this person is any indication of what Grand Wailea has recently become, then I will be more than happy to pay to visit once more someday.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
We have been going to GW since about 2008. There have been many changes since 2014, including a significant upgrade in the Napua Tower in Fall 2015. Many of those things are discussed earlier in this thread, and on TripAdvisor.

To say this is the worst Hilton family member at the Club level is very questionable. The first question I would have is "what domestic Hilton has a full open bar during the "happy hour'? Yes, Embassy Suites do...but I don't know of many Hiltons that do. Foreign Hiltons, maybe. But domestic?

Last edited by BlueZebra; Feb 2, 2018 at 7:44 am
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:08 am

I have a question in regards to upgrades. If I have diamond status and have a points only reservation booked for June in a standard room, can I call them and request a cash upgrade to the Napua Tower and have that confirmed now? Not sure how that works? Also if that is an option then if I am paying cash for an upgrade, does that no longer mean I am exempt from the resort fee that I would be getting for staying on a points only reservation if I were to stay with a standard room?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion & Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Allan Federer
Thanks. Would you happen to have his email address? Can’t seem to find it anywhere
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:47 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
I have stayed here several times in the past. I think the best strategy is to book a room and try and get an upgrade. In my view, the hotel facilities are what should truly be experienced. Eat dinner at HumuHumu and enjoy a massage at Spa Grande. The hotel is so nice that one can stay a week without even leaving the hotel.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lucjos0224

Thanks. Would you happen to have his email address?
C'mon, man…

Hint: Look at any individual's Hilton mail address.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by soliloquy
I guess we'll have to figure it out for ourselves when we get there. My husband has chosen the Andaz and it looks like that's the final answer no matter how many reviews or videos I show him. For him the deal breaker seems to be the theme park like atmosphere of the WA. We've stayed at WAs before. We really enjoyed the one in Puerto Rico last year (El Conquistador). This will be our first time ever staying at a Hyatt property other than the Hyatt Regency in Monterey, CA.
I think you will be pleased with your husband's decision. Having stayed as a couple at both properties last fall, in my opinion the Andaz is better for an anniversary. The Andaz is a smaller, more intimate property, and better suited to couples. We especially enjoyed the included water activities (Book as soon as you check in!) and the great staff at the beach. The pools at the Andaz are very tranquil, with lots of options for lounge chairs with shade. Take advantage of the complimentary photo session, at sunset if possible. I can't speak to the regular rooms at the Andaz, as we stayed in an ocean view suite, which was wonderful.

The best part of the WA for us was the Napua Club, with complimentary airport transfers, evening cocktails and appetizers, desserts and after-dinner drinks. We had the full buffet breakfast in the dining room in lieu of the Napua Club continental offering. While the WA buffet was good, accompanied by a beautiful ocean view, it was not nearly as excellent as the Andaz buffet. The Andaz also does a much better job managing the birds, which are such a nuisance at WA that they have umbrellas all over the covered areas of the open air restaurant. Save the WA for a vacation with the kids.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:37 am

I've stayed a few times at GW as a Diamond and on points. I've booked a King Terrace View room and I've always been upgraded. This upcoming trip, the only room that was available was a 2 queen bed Terrace View room. Anyone experience being upgraded/changed from a 2 queen to king bed (whether or not, a change in room type)?
TIA.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by CalvaryMike
I've stayed a few times at GW as a Diamond and on points. I've booked a King Terrace View room and I've always been upgraded. This upcoming trip, the only room that was available was a 2 queen bed Terrace View room. Anyone experience being upgraded/changed from a 2 queen to king bed (whether or not, a change in room type)?
TIA.
We have a 4 night points stay this summer in a King Terrance and bummed that we could not take advantage of the 5th night free because that extra night the only standard room available is a 2 Queen. Very frustrating! They keep saying since it's in June there is still plenty of time for people to change or cancel and a King Terrance will pop back into inventory for me to rebook for the 5th night, but I'm not holding my breath. Sucks to know I could be getting 5 nights for the amount of points I am already paying for the 4 nights, especially since there is a standard room available all 5 nights, just not the same room lol. Ah well.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CalvaryMike
TIA.
I was there with my wife this last December. We had originally booked a 2 queen terrace view on points as our daughter was going to join us. I called to see if could change to a King as our daughter had to cancel. They said it would be a change to the reservation and the points would be much higher as the standard rate was no longer available. But they said I could try at check in. I looked at online checkin the day before and it offered a bunch of partial ocean view 2 queen rooms and 1 partial ocean view king room so I selected that. Suddenly it said I would be charged almost $5000. I immediately tweeted the hotel and explained. They immediately came back and said they would honor keeping the king and not being charged the money, only the original points I used. I was very happy. This is a totally YMMV situation based on hotel occupancy and feel we were very lucky. I don't know if my lifetime diamond had anything to do with it. But that is what happened to us. I would go back again.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jenn0625
We have a 4 night points stay this summer in a King Terrance and bummed that we could not take advantage of the 5th night free because that extra night the only standard room available is a 2 Queen. Very frustrating! They keep saying since it's in June there is still plenty of time for people to change or cancel and a King Terrance will pop back into inventory for me to rebook for the 5th night, but I'm not holding my breath. Sucks to know I could be getting 5 nights for the amount of points I am already paying for the 4 nights, especially since there is a standard room available all 5 nights, just not the same room lol. Ah well.
I would have booked the 5 nights with 2 queens and then emailed them to request a bed change. They will probably upgrade you to a Garden View Room anyway. Few Honors members actually stay in those Terrace rooms!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I would have booked the 5 nights with 2 queens and then emailed them to request a bed change. They will probably upgrade you to a Garden View Room anyway. Few Honors members actually stay in those Terrace rooms!
Having Having a 2 queen room over a king unfortunately wasn't the issue we were having, it was having 5 consecutive nights in one or the other that was the issue. While they did technically have 5 consecutive nights in a standard room available for us, 4 of those nights were for a king room and the 5th was a 2 queen, so they could not honor the "5th night free" since the last night we would technically be in a different room type, standard or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.