Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by stlrod

Managed to score a BRG rate under $300 a night for a Garden view in October. Concerned about some of the reviews but assuming most of those come from people who are paying a lot more and justifiably have high expectations. Any comments on the current condition of the rooms? Thanks.

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Rooms need upgrades. They are not terrible by any means but they are far from luxurious or modern.
The hotel just finished "refreshing" all guestrooms last year, and though I still find the decor a bit underwhelming for a luxury hotel, the rooms don't lack any modern amenity. Grand Wailea's primary attractions are its grounds and location, not the guestrooms or service.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by MS02113
The hotel just finished "refreshing" all guestrooms last year, and though I still find the decor a bit underwhelming for a luxury hotel, the rooms don't lack any modern amenity. Grand Wailea's primary attractions are its grounds and location, not the guestrooms or service.
Agree. IME this is a mediocre property in a nice location.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:32 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by Baze
Was just there the 13th-19th of December. My experience was 180 degrees different than yours for all but the last 2 points. My stay was great. Upgraded from the Terrace room to an Ocean View. Used points at 79K per night for 6 nights. All service was excellent. And dinner at Humuhumu was fantastic with an awesome table. Didn't try for any cabanas or lounge chairs so can't really comment other than there were always a couple of each available during our walks. Spa Grande was fantastic for my wife's Escape package and my pedicure. So I was very pleased.
No mine was 27-30th Dec, so probably much more busy, if not full house.

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
You probably were not upgraded, even though Diamond, because you booked so late. LIFO. A diamond who has held that reservation for 11 months, IMHO, should be the one upgraded.
My mindset was that I'd be perfectly happy with the Terrace/parking lot view I booked on points, so when we were upgraded to "only" garden view we were very happy.
I hope you addressed your room issues immediately (no toiletries, hairs) sounds like housekeeping did a very quick/shoddy job. If you call it to their attention I'm sure they would improve considerably.
Our experience was also very different because we went off season (Sept.) and were able to negotiate a great cabana for a good price.
Was the pool not great to you for some reason? I just loved the lazy river, I went round and round and round and...
The pool and beach were excellent, I have no "complaints" overall too but I didn't feel it overall matched up to what they were asking $$-wise.

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I am not sure what you expect. You book a hotel in Hawaii at the absolute busiest time of the year and then complain that you can't get adjoining rooms, you have a partial view of a parking lot and some other people who had reservations for months beat you to reserving cabanas and food at Humu? Am I reading this right? Guess why the hotel can charge $1000 per night for low end rooms this time of year......THEY ARE SLAMMED. This means people who planned their trips out in December and January of last year beat you to all of those things.
I will concede they should have clean rooms, with no hair in tub and Wailea does suffer from not having at least a Diamond check in line but the other stuff is just hard to read the complaints about
You are correct about expectations and who should get priority. But let me ask you this in return, if you paid last minute for a hotel in $$, would you be satisfied to not get an "expected" service? At one point, I was very close to paying $1200 for the only terrace room open in inventory. If anything, I would have assumed that it got me the cabana rather than someone who booked 11 months ago and paid a much less price. In my opinion, hotels like these charge for an experience, and that should stay consistent. If a hotel can't provide a service, then just make it clear like they do when the pools or elevators don't work.

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
In fairness to the person posting, other than the cabanas, it didn't read as a complaint to me. More a series of observations. I think it's pretty much accepted that you won't get an upgrade at most resort hotels at this time of year, but it does seem that other aspects of the level of service expected from this property were poor. I do agree that the cabana thing is quite annoying, but I also find them over-priced anyway. However, if they're selling out the hotel obviously knows its market well.
I do love the GW, but I'd say it's WA based on location only. I wouldn't rate it as WA based on accommodation or service. Definitely a hotel I love going back to, but I don't quite agree with the brand position.

Agreed, not complaining. Just posting. I would have still given this property a 3.5 or 4 star.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sahiljain22
No mine was 27-30th Dec, so probably much more busy, if not full house.

The pool and beach were excellent, I have no "complaints" overall too but I didn't feel it overall matched up to what they were asking $$-wise.

You are correct about expectations and who should get priority. But let me ask you this in return, if you paid last minute for a hotel in $$, would you be satisfied to not get an "expected" service? At one point, I was very close to paying $1200 for the only terrace room open in inventory. If anything, I would have assumed that it got me the cabana rather than someone who booked 11 months ago and paid a much less price. In my opinion, hotels like these charge for an experience, and that should stay consistent. If a hotel can't provide a service, then just make it clear like they do when the pools or elevators don't work.

Agreed, not complaining. Just posting. I would have still given this property a 3.5 or 4 star.
There are no magic discount rooms at this property for this time of year, regardless of when you book it. None of them come with a cabana either so why would you assume this gets you one? People are paying for those and they reserved them long ago.
You are not owed anything
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld

Agree. IME this is a mediocre property in a nice location.
Nice location yes. Mediocre? Lol.i guess the hotel was fortunate to have someone grace their presence with such high standards. Please come back and allow them to prove they are "slightly better than average."
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by sahiljain22

Wow! The cabana rental has nothing to do with what you paid for your room, or when you booked it. The cabana is booked on a first come first service basis. Just how do you propose to tell that person who booked that cabana X months ago, that this other, last minute, self important booker, gets your cabana, and you are SOL? Is the "experience" you expect based on pushing people around based on the rate you paid for your room? Does that person who booked the cabana X months ago have a right to expect a lower level "experience"?

Something else you don't know- that cabana has pre-set rates. High season, the rate almost doubles. As I recall, the standard cabanas are $350 in normal season, $600 in high season.

All I can say is WOW!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Nice location yes. Mediocre? Lol.i guess the hotel was fortunate to have someone grace their presence with such high standards. Please come back and allow them to prove they are "slightly better than average."
I have stayed there more than 15 times. From that number you can see that I enjoy my stays. I would say it is a nice location. I would say it has nice grounds but it is a mediocre property when you compare cost to other properties at the same price range. Service is average at best but again I know that going in.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Wow! The cabana rental has nothing to do with what you paid for your room, or when you booked it. The cabana is booked on a first come first service basis. Just how do you propose to tell that person who booked that cabana X months ago, that this other, last minute, self important booker, gets your cabana, and you are SOL? Is the "experience" you expect based on pushing people around based on the rate you paid for your room? Does that person who booked the cabana X months ago have a right to expect a lower level "experience"?

Something else you don't know- that cabana has pre-set rates. High season, the rate almost doubles. As I recall, the standard cabanas are $350 in normal season, $600 in high season.

All I can say is WOW!
+1
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:19 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Regarding breakfast now being included at W-A for Hilton Gold And Diamond members...

Would love an update from any 2018 guests with Diamond status as to what the hotel is providing!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Regarding breakfast now being included at W-A for Hilton Gold And Diamond members...

Would love an update from any 2018 guests with Diamond status as to what the hotel is providing!
A recent post in the dedicated WA breakfast thread indicates 2 x $15 vouchers for Cafe Kula per day.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:05 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MS02113
A recent post in the dedicated WA breakfast thread indicates 2 x $15 vouchers for Cafe Kula per day.
Thanks.

How underwhelming.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Thanks.

How underwhelming.
That will ALMOST cover the coffee portion of breakfast there
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Blackstone is purchasing the Grand Wailea

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...or-maui-resort
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Interesting. Is Blackstone known for reinvesting in hotel properties, or letting them languish while they try to suck every penny of revenue they can?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:34 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I'm guessing that the old ownership had to dump the property before the elite continental breakfasts hit the financials and hollowed out profits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.