Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for power outage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:43 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Annapurna
Indeed, YMMV - but since the hotel has no qualms over 'nickel-and-diming' its guests (on top of a steep room rate), I have no reservations about seeking compensation if I feel it is due. Besides, I paid for the room with my hard earned personal income and not courtesy of an employer - so if my vacation time is adversely affected, I jolly well want compensation.

Anyway - the hotel was not in India as some of you have surmised. I have checked out of the hotel now and no compensation was forthcoming - so much for Hilton's "Satisfaction Guarantee".
Nickle and Diming?? Actual examples from the stay please.

So what extra charges were the hotel imposing that are out of the ordinary for that standard of hotel or are you just venting as hotel correctly did not comp anything for a short power outage despite a request/complaint by you at checkout.

I do not expect hotels to have own generators to power the hotel when the national grid supply fails and you just need to accept things like that as outside hotels control and thus not a target for compensation culture adherents to piggy back. Such refusal to comp by this hotel would be also the stance of nearly every other hotel affected too
Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
China or India?
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Indeed, YMMV - but since the hotel has no qualms over 'nickel-and-diming' its guests (on top of a steep room rate), I have no reservations about seeking compensation if I feel it is due. Besides, I paid for the room with my hard earned personal income and not courtesy of an employer - so if my vacation time is adversely affected, I jolly well want compensation.

Anyway - the hotel was not in India as some of you have surmised. I have checked out of the hotel now and no compensation was forthcoming - so much for Hilton's "Satisfaction Guarantee".
Have you tried escalating to HH directly? They may have more pull with the property management. Unfortunately it is getting to be typical for people to refuse rightly due compensation when first requested. Dealing with different personalities/customs can make the negotiations a bit touchy too.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:34 pm

So if it was "steep", why exactly did you stay there?

Are you going to tell us what happened in the end?

How much compensation do you think you should get?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
As PayItForward noted, I'm sure the door locks are battery-powered. Although it might be possible, connecting each door lock to a permanent power source would be a difficult endeavor without any real benefits. You'd have to embed the wires into the door and pass them through the hinge to the main wall.

That said, I wouldn't want to be in a guest room in a hotel without power. Those emergency lights won't last forever. Plus, there's a chance that the hotel's life safety systems (fire suppression, alarms) might be compromised. Since language is an issue, I'd be extra cautious until power is fully restored.
They are actually quite common.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Bringing this back up - I arrived at the Hilton Dresden a few minutes before midnight just to be told that the power will go down a few minutes later - a long-planned outage until the next morning which they did neither post on the property page or sent me an eMail about. Elevators out, no light in the room at all, no a/c, no hot water, no room service - the full picture. I schlepped my bags up four floors before realizing all of this and found the room not really be workable for me under this conditions.

With PC- and cell-phone-battery flat, some work needing to be done for tomorrow and the outage lasting all night until shortly before breakfast begins, I asked for a walk to the Westin across the river at their cost which they arranged, covering the difference in rate. However in that process I lost about an hour of sleep as the move simply took time, and it's not really convenient to move to a different hotel at night after dragging you bags up and down four floors.

So in a nutshell - should I expect some compensation in addition to the differential between the Hilton and the Westin's rate?

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by djohannw
So in a nutshell - should I expect some compensation in addition to the differential between the Hilton and the Westin's rate?
For an hour's sleep, no. If you travel much, you must realize that stuff happens. They took care of you. Move on.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:34 pm

duplicate
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Nickle and Diming?? Actual examples from the stay please.

So what extra charges were the hotel imposing that are out of the ordinary for that standard of hotel or are you just venting as hotel correctly did not comp anything for a short power outage despite a request/complaint by you at checkout.

I do not expect hotels to have own generators to power the hotel when the national grid supply fails and you just need to accept things like that as outside hotels control and thus not a target for compensation culture adherents to piggy back. Such refusal to comp by this hotel would be also the stance of nearly every other hotel affected too
Perhaps the OP should seek compensation from the electricity company....
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by smmrfld
For an hour's sleep, no. If you travel much, you must realize that stuff happens. They took care of you. Move on.
Do travel quite a bit (something like 120 nights a year currently, considerably down from recent years), but have not been in such a situation - it's not that "stuff happens" but the neglect that the hotel knew well in advance of the situation and did not notify me.

But I can report on the outcome - I received an personal eMail this morning from the GM (in my inbox when I woke up) that profusely apologized for this situation and asking to meet me when I have the time, so after checking out of the Westin I walked over to the Hilton and had that conversation. The GM seemed genuinely embarrassed about what happened there and fully accepted responsibility - we had a very construction discussion also on whom of the people working that night did the right things and who did not (the trainee really showed empathy in regard to the situation and genuine care while the regular employee just "did his job"). In the end he really made up for this more than agreed, covering the full Westin bill and refusing payment for my reservation, plus inviting wife and myself for a weekend at his hotel to show he can do better. This definitely makes me come back when I'm in Dresden the next time...

Regards,

Dirk
ozztraveller and hugolover like this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by djohannw
Do travel quite a bit (something like 120 nights a year currently, considerably down from recent years), but have not been in such a situation - it's not that "stuff happens" but the neglect that the hotel knew well in advance of the situation and did not notify me.

But I can report on the outcome - I received an personal eMail this morning from the GM (in my inbox when I woke up) that profusely apologized for this situation and asking to meet me when I have the time, so after checking out of the Westin I walked over to the Hilton and had that conversation. The GM seemed genuinely embarrassed about what happened there and fully accepted responsibility - we had a very construction discussion also on whom of the people working that night did the right things and who did not (the trainee really showed empathy in regard to the situation and genuine care while the regular employee just "did his job"). In the end he really made up for this more than agreed, covering the full Westin bill and refusing payment for my reservation, plus inviting wife and myself for a weekend at his hotel to show he can do better. This definitely makes me come back when I'm in Dresden the next time...

Regards,

Dirk
This definitely should have been a walk and you should not have had to get to your room to find out about it. Now before you go overboard, the GM knows they are on the hook for your night's lodging and not just the difference in rates, that's part of the walk compensation (and I hope they gave you full credit nights/points for the stay). As for showing they "can do better", that's good service recovery should you be back in the area. I've heard of some GM's extending their offer to the next stay, even when at another property (getting a call from another GM does seem to impress).

Glad it all worked out for you. I don't know why properties feel a phone call can solve so many problems and insist on leaving to arrival before addressing.
hugolover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.