Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Naniloa Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Reviews of this property:
Print Wikipost

Grand Naniloa Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by BlackBear05
Based on the mixed reviews at this property, I'm going to keep my expectations low for my visit in January. I was wondering if they have beach towels to check out like the other properties located near beaches. Anyone have experience with this here?
No beach here:

David
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sbv72
Great to hear the restaurant is open. I have a 3 night stay at the end of the month. I will report the Diamond breakfast offering.
How was your stay?
Old May 7, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
stay planned for early May 31 - June 4 - will update

Last edited by mdaecher; May 12, 2018 at 10:01 am
Old May 17, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Review after checking out yesterday

Check-in: Warm staff - what you'd expect from a 3* hotel. The staff is proud of working for the Hilton behemoth.

Room: As Gold, I got upgraded to 9th floor on ocean facing tower (Mauna Loa tower). No balcony. Some weird buzzing from the wall woke me up a couple times in the wee hours of the morning. (Next morning, the maintenance guy said they were refreshing the AC units to stop the noise. But my AC was off?! And the front desk manager contradicted what maintenance guy said. Who knows - this old building just buzzes - and not in a good way.) The showerhead mount was also broken. Other than that, the room was fine, although it was showing signs of age.

Other Hardware: You guys gave me the impression this was a brand new hotel. It's actually looking middle-aged - and the white color theme doesn't help. I also waited 3 minutes for the elevator before breakfast. They really need to improve maintenance - I've seen better maintenance at $29/night hotels in Vietnam.

Breakfast: Golds get free continental breakfast, which is pretty decent - guava juice, oatmeal, fresh fruit, croissants. Too bad the waitress never asked me for coffee (which I hardly drink anyways). She also never cleared any of my plates during a whole half hour. What's the difference between this DT and a nice cafeteria? - None!

Conclusion: If you're a Hilton Gold/DM member, can get a good rate, bring earplugs, and am a heavy sleeper, then I recommend this hotel.

P.S. I walked along the shore over to the next door property - Hilo Hawaiian - and asked the groundskeeper which hotel this was. He proudly proclaimed their hotel was newer than the Doubletree. Hilo Hawaiian looks about $50 cheaper per night than the DT. Unless you're a Hilton fiend, it may make more sense to stay at the Hilo Hawaiian.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Not sure why you thought this was a "new" hotel...was the Grand Naniloa before it became the Doubletree Grand Naniloa. I'm sure with a little digging you can find out when it was originally built, and our room was newly renovated. You could tell.

To me not having a balcony in Hawaii would be a dealbreaker - it's what "made" our small room. Very quiet room with a fabulous view.

I would never spend a whole vacation there, but I was thrilled to get Hilton points for our one night.

And I thought the breakfast was abysmal - in Hawaii you expect the fruit to be good, ours was so old and crappy all the pineapple had a brown cast. Yuk.

Did you eat dinner in the restaurant? We were there during the transition and dinner was bare bones, we didn't even make the attempt.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
The hotel was built in 1939...I couldn't find any info about interim renovations before Hilton put $30 million into it recently, but someone must have.

It's registered as a Historic Hotel of America.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Have seen this hotel featured on the original Hawaii Five-O

Shows it has a bit of history.
Old May 26, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eethan
Other Hardware: You guys gave me the impression this was a brand new hotel. It's actually looking middle-aged - and the white color theme doesn't help. I also waited 3 minutes for the elevator before breakfast. They really need to improve maintenance - I've seen better maintenance at $29/night hotels in Vietnam.
As Eugenie and others have noted, all amongst us have tried to communicate that this is a remodeled older property that, as a historic hotel which began operations back in the late 1930s, has its share of quirks and issues as well as some unique features and reasons to consider staying there, especially as a Hilton Honors elite.

The Grand Naniloa is not anything like the newer resorts on the Kona or west side of the Big Island. It's a hotel. It's located in Hilo on Banyan Drive which also defines a different historical context and much different climate than either the Kona side or other parts of the island.

David
Old May 26, 2018, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two found references:

From a historical context, here's a link to a thread of images on another web forum about what was the Polynesian Room at the Naniloa Hotel.

Additionally, possibly because of the number of cancellations they've gotten because of Kilauea's volcanic activity, the hotel has set up a live feed camera with audio. As of this posting, there appears to be some live music event going on since you can hear the beat, voices and chanting and higher pitched kids voices (but is not visible in the feed). My best guess is that the webcam is positioned atop the Mauna Kea wing building.

David
Old May 26, 2018, 5:59 pm

As far as I can remember, this is the only hotel at which I have stayed that I have seen featured in a game does as a prize. I saw it on a rerun of Press your Luck from the early 1980's.

Our stay here was great other than the amazingly slow elevators.
Old May 27, 2018, 2:35 pm

They’ve instituted parking fees of $20. I usually book this for a staycation each year but not this year because of this.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ST_Hawaii
They’ve instituted parking fees of $20. I usually book this for a staycation each year but not this year because of this.
Bummer. Is that only in their lot(s) around the hotel or also the golf course's parking lot?

David
Old May 27, 2018, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Bummer. Is that only in their lot(s) around the hotel or also the golf course's parking lot?

David
I'm not sure yet. I'm assuming all but their website does not have much information, just that self- or valet parking is $20
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
The hotel is in the news:

Former Grand Naniloa GM sues hotel management company, executive - West Hawaii Today
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Spend four nights there a week ago, primarily because we wanted to check out that side of the island. I booked a room with lanai because I didn’t want to risk getting one without. I got exactly what I booked (as a Diamond). In retrospect i am glad I didn’t end up on a higher floor (we got 5th).

Continental breakfast was pretty bare bones. Industrial bagels, muffins, bread, croissants, some fruit, juices, jam, coffee. $10 upgrade for full breakfast. Didn’t ask if the $11 value of the continental breakfast could be applied to a made to order breakfast item. My hunch is, no. A better breakfast option to consider would IMO be Ken’s House of Pancakes (0.5 miles, easy walk if it isn’t raining).

One of the three elevators in our wing was broken the entire time, with a nice laminated “out of service” sign and no one working on it. The running joke among guests was to get on any elevator that would stop on your floor, no matter which direction, since the next one would be a while and probably be full.

The ice machines on our floor and the one above were out of service, too. Again, laminated signs lead me to believe that this situation either is frequent or not a high priority to fix.

Staff was always friendly.

Parking (self or valet) was $20/night.

(False) Fire alarm with partial evac at 12:30am was a surprise “bonus”. We made it to the stairs before they called it off. Other than a “We are sorry, you can return to your rooms” over the PA system there was no apology or explanation.

Fitness center looked nice, with fairly new machines in good condition.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Oct 23, 2018 at 2:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.