Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Naniloa Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Reviews of this property:
Print Wikipost

Grand Naniloa Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by TxTrav
Thanks! Bay view was slightly high cash price but same points and cash redemption as harbor view so I assumed bay view would be better. Thanks for the info.
Yes, we've also booked the C&P rate for the Bay View.

Beckoa, is the on-site restaurant open and how is it?

We're only there for one night after a trip around the volcano park area and before driving back to Kona for our flight home, so for one night I can live without a balcony.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
staying there this Sunday - will report since we seem to not have much info here
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:56 pm

We will be staying here in late June and are looking forward to it. We are not resort people at all and spend little time at our hotels, but being right on the water will be nice for when we are there. I was glad to find a place I could pick up some HHonors points while in HI without being at a resort. Booked an oceanfront room with a balcony. I do love to open up the doors and listen to the ocean.

Are there any good bars or restaurants nearby? We are big craft beer fans and will visit Kona Brewing, but something on this side of the Island would be nice as well.

Last edited by MissJ; Mar 10, 2017 at 1:00 am
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:58 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...solidated+hilo
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:36 am

Thanks!

Any comments on the ocean view rooms?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
This is a nice hotel. They are working hard to get it finished, but it is good even now.

There is a main tower with two wings - Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. Best rooms are bay view or bay/harbor view with lanais in the Mauna Kea tower. Combo views are likely end units with corner wrap around balconies. Bay only view will face inward toward the center of the hotel (check in area/bar) and the bay. Mauna Loa tower rooms do not have lanais, but you still get some really nice bay views looking over the center of the hotel; the checkin area is only one story, so any rooms 3rd floor and up will get you nice views over top of the center of the hotel. They were sold out last night and I did not get upgraded to a lanai room, but I have a nice view of the bay from the floor to ceiling windows in room 803 in the Mauna Loa tower. All of the Mauna Loa wing rooms face the bay/North - they are all off the same side of the corridor

There is a smaller, 3rd tower to the left of the checkin area/main area that is not currently open - appears the rooms are currently being remodeled. No balconies/lanais, and only half the rooms will have (very nice) bay views through large windows - the other half will face the parking lots and roadway.

Restaurant is still makeshift on the ground level - they are working on the actual one still.

Room I'm in has be remodeled nicely - very modern and clean. Had to ask for an iron and ironing board. Also had to ask for Diamond breakfast certificates. WiFi good. Lobby is open air and really beautiful.

The bay front here is really nice - you can snorkel right off the property, as well as jump off some elevated piers/structures into the water - bay is pretty deep right off the shore in some areas. There is bike rentals and likely water sport rentals at the gift shop, which has an outdoor adventure desk staffed by a sightseeing company.

Area restaurants - go to Pineapples - ate there last night and it was reasonable and good, with awesome service. Cafe Pesto also popular and been around a long time - ate there many years ago and it was good; was packed when walked by last night.

Wish now that I had booked a couple nights here instead of wading back to Waikiki for a few - always enjoy the Big Island better and this hotel makes Hilo a good rival to Waikoloa

Last edited by mdaecher; Mar 13, 2017 at 11:53 am Reason: added more!
Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by mdaecher
Restaurant is still makeshift on the ground level - they are working on the actual one still.

Room I'm in has be remodeled nicely - very modern and clean. Had to ask for an iron and ironing board. Also had to ask for Diamond breakfast certificates. WiFi good. Lobby is open air and really beautiful.
Thanks for the review. How was the breakfast?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by _kurt
Thanks for the review. How was the breakfast?
it was a scaled down buffet - expect it will improve when the formal restaurant is finished. Full buffet was included for breakfast certs
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by mdaecher
it was a scaled down buffet - expect it will improve when the formal restaurant is finished. Full buffet was included for breakfast certs
Thanks for the review! Any idea when the renovations will be finished? We'll be there in early May. Has the parking situation improved yet?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by TxTrav
Thanks for the review! Any idea when the renovations will be finished? We'll be there in early May. Has the parking situation improved yet?
Hi, how was you experience during your stay? Are the renovations finished yet? Any improvements for the breakfast? We'll be there next week, so would like to have an idea how it is now. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:22 pm

I was just there last week and had a great stay. Views from Mauna Loa 1208 were beautiful. No lanai rooms were available because the owner of the hotel was getting married there and it was packed.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by MissJ
I was just there last week and had a great stay. Views from Mauna Loa 1208 were beautiful. No lanai rooms were available because the owner of the hotel was getting married there and it was packed.
We were in room 1207 the week before and were very happy with it but did have to wrestle a bit with the FD to get it. Overall, our stay was good but the F&B is simply horrid at this property. Breakfast is really bad in my opinion, in offering and quality. Drink service in the evening......good luck!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:45 pm

We didn't make use of either. We went out to a bunch of great local places for every meal. We never tend to spend a lot of time on property so views, comfort, and peace and quiet are the top needs for us.

I forgot to mention, there were a few little oddities that were possibly part of ongoing renovations but for example, we didn't have a proper bath mat. We just used a smaller towel. Didn't get a "do not disturb" sign, had to ask housekeeping for one. When we got there, there was only the facial soap and no bath soap, but that was corrected after our first housekeeping. I think most of us stay in hotels so often that if one little item isn't standard, it is noticeable. Like when the mouthwash shows up in the lineup of toiletries on the sink.

Last edited by MissJ; Jun 7, 2017 at 3:10 pm
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
We're just staying for one night after a long drive seeing Volcanos National Park, then leaving the next day to get back to Kona. We were hoping just to chill at the hotel and dine there.

Why can't they just muster up a decent restaurant?

Is there any restaurant worthwhile within walking distance? I know we won't want to drive anymore.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:12 pm

Volcanoes is only about 45 minutes away. I don't know of anything in walking distance, but just a five minute drive gives you a lot of options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.