Hilton London Bankside {GBR}

Old Feb 10, 19, 1:37 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-S; HH-D
Still a great hotel ... even with a few disappointing changes

I haven't been at Bankside since early summer, so thought I'd update with my experience of staying a few nights this weekend.

I'm not a Bankside apologist, by any means, but it is worth noting that while the disappointing changes others have noted on this threat are quite right - this remains a top hotel.

The hard product continues to be presented immaculately. And I noted that the place was really buzzing - mainly the bar area... it's as though it has managed to gain traction in the area at last.

The few snips away from the service here and there are a shame - e.g. minibar offerings reduced as described above, Loseley yogurt no longer available at breakfast... The hotel persists with the 1-category-only upgrade practice too, but that's not new. But these issues are minor. There are enough lounge snacks and a 7-11 Sainsbury's next door to get past the lack of coca-cola, peanuts and gummy-bears in the minibar. The stand-out granola remains at breakfast and is just as nicely complemented by the loose greek yogurt as it was by the pear & fudge Loseley stuff.

I picked up a bargain weekend rate of £126, so that made booking a no-brainer. But, I have to say, the balance between this hotel and Tower Bridge is close and I'm inclined to let the too rate decide which I book. Just don't be too put off by the critical remarks you read. It has lost a bit of it's shine here and there but overall remains a superb UK Hilton.

As an aside... On this visit I discovered Tibits, nearby (hat tip to wizla for the recommendation) - the most joyful vegan meal I've ever had - I'll be back for sure!
chrism20, florens, wizla and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 4:06 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader View Post
I haven't been at Bankside since early summer, so thought I'd update with my experience of staying a few nights this weekend.

I'm not a Bankside apologist, by any means, but it is worth noting that while the disappointing changes others have noted on this threat are quite right - this remains a top hotel.

The hard product continues to be presented immaculately. And I noted that the place was really buzzing - mainly the bar area... it's as though it has managed to gain traction in the area at last.

The few snips away from the service here and there are a shame - e.g. minibar offerings reduced as described above, Loseley yogurt no longer available at breakfast... The hotel persists with the 1-category-only upgrade practice too, but that's not new. But these issues are minor. There are enough lounge snacks and a 7-11 Sainsbury's next door to get past the lack of coca-cola, peanuts and gummy-bears in the minibar. The stand-out granola remains at breakfast and is just as nicely complemented by the loose greek yogurt as it was by the pear & fudge Loseley stuff.

I picked up a bargain weekend rate of £126, so that made booking a no-brainer. But, I have to say, the balance between this hotel and Tower Bridge is close and I'm inclined to let the too rate decide which I book. Just don't be too put off by the critical remarks you read. It has lost a bit of it's shine here and there but overall remains a superb UK Hilton.

As an aside... On this visit I discovered Tibits, nearby (hat tip to wizla for the recommendation) - the most joyful vegan meal I've ever had - I'll be back for sure!
I guess itís kinda inevitable that they would start to trim the great amenities here eventually, I remember when Hilton Canary Wharf first opened and it was awesome, then we gradually started seeing the cutbacks , the same with Hilton Bournemouth too, all are still great hotels just no longer amazing.
Glad you liked Tibits, I found it by accident as I wanted to take my lady to a proper vegetarian restaurant as I loosely follow a Palio diet but found I really liked it, everything I tried was so tasty, itís now become my 2nd favourite restaurant in London and we go fairly regularly, not too often or it will become the norm.......glad you had a good stay.
Old Feb 11, 19, 5:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC Gold (OWE)
Staying at Bankside over the next two weeks since my last date around Oct/Nov and must say I agree with the above. The hard product is still mesmerising, its just a shame given how amazing it was previously.

I do miss some of the staff in the place as well! Seems to always be a lot of turnover meaning that personal touch is missing, but that's part and parcel of any hotel I guess.
wizla and MoodyB like this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 11:14 am

Stayed here for 1night, probably mostly to see what the buzz is about on here. You're all semi right - the EL is probably the best bar the Conrad in the UK. The decor is cool, but I found the room a little drab. I was upgraded to a JS - a three level upgrade, pretty good. Looked over a courtyard on top of the EL.

Breakfast was OK, not as good as the DoubleTree at Tower Hill where I normally reside. Your typical Hilton stuff, I am not a granola fan that said.

The bar was buzzing on Saturday night, quite a nice atmosphere.

I'm going back to try the Sunday brunch on the 24th, will update my upgrade type then!
wizla and MoodyB like this.
Old Feb 14, 19, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by residentx View Post
Stayed here for 1night, probably mostly to see what the buzz is about on here. You're all semi right - the EL is probably the best bar the Conrad in the UK. The decor is cool, but I found the room a little drab. I was upgraded to a JS - a three level upgrade, pretty good. Looked over a courtyard on top of the EL.

Breakfast was OK, not as good as the DoubleTree at Tower Hill where I normally reside. Your typical Hilton stuff, I am not a granola fan that said.

The bar was buzzing on Saturday night, quite a nice atmosphere.

I'm going back to try the Sunday brunch on the 24th, will update my upgrade type then!
Good upgrade! They can be pretty nice on one night stays if they're quiet - I've had a few basic to deluxe suite upgrades. Back again in an hour for one night after an evening in the Waldorf (price fluctuations causing the move), let's see if I can score a decent upgrade. Not upgraded on the app yet...
Old Feb 14, 19, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by ocprodigy View Post
Good upgrade! They can be pretty nice on one night stays if they're quiet - I've had a few basic to deluxe suite upgrades. Back again in an hour for one night after an evening in the Waldorf (price fluctuations causing the move), let's see if I can score a decent upgrade. Not upgraded on the app yet...
I may be there Friday 22nd feb, need to get my granola fix!
Old Feb 14, 19, 6:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I'm staying here soon for two nights. They seemed to get aggressive on pricing (bought early on during the Winter sale thinking prices wouldn't drop further, but they did). Trying to decide if I want to check in the night before or wait until morning of (flight lands around 9:30am). Only thing is I want to secure two twin rooms, don't care about upgrades as much (diamond from Aspire, booked standard level...have seen that some rooms have a partial view of the Shard, not sure which level room is required..from the map guessing high floor on south side).
Old Feb 20, 19, 12:21 pm

If there is such thing as a FT curse...definitely got it! Past two stays, no upgrade at all

First time in a long time I've been asked for my passport at check-in as well... until I explained I'm British and live in the UK! Interesting...
Old Feb 20, 19, 2:53 pm

If there is such thing as a FT curse...definitely got it! Past two stays, no upgrade at all

First time in a long time I've been asked for my passport at check-in as well... until I explained I'm British and live in the UK! Interesting...
Dunno, Iím here ( hopefully ) Friday night......will see.
Old Feb 20, 19, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
This is simply not true I have never had a JS upgrade yet but plenty of base or Exec to full 1.bed suite.

The lounge is far better than the Conrad but not been there for 24 months so it might have dramatically improved

The property gets busy from Chinese tour groups and that puts pressure on basic rooms which are all 100% better than other nearby properties including tower bridge
Old Feb 20, 19, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
This is simply not true I have never had a JS upgrade yet but plenty of base or Exec to full 1.bed suite.

The lounge is far better than the Conrad but not been there for 24 months so it might have dramatically improved

The property gets busy from Chinese tour groups and that puts pressure on basic rooms which are all 100% better than other nearby properties including tower bridge
I had two base to full suite upgrades last year here.
Old Feb 21, 19, 2:47 pm

As I said earlier I’m here tomorrow night ( Friday) , booked queen guest room and so far no preupgrade, should arrive just after lunch......... will report back
Old Feb 22, 19, 12:41 am

I'm here tonight too, no pre-upgrade for me yet either!
Old Feb 22, 19, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by residentx View Post
I'm here tonight too, no pre-upgrade for me yet either!
Was preupgraded overnight to king deluxe room, mildly disappointing as executive rooms and suites available....... will see, Iím currently at the doubletree Cambridge belfry drive down should take a couple of hours.....will report back!
Old Feb 22, 19, 2:55 am

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by wizla View Post
Was preupgraded overnight to king deluxe room, mildly disappointing as executive rooms and suites available....... will see, Iím currently at the doubletree Cambridge belfry drive down should take a couple of hours.....will report back!
Interested to hear if you get a suite, I know there was a change of management towards the end of 2018, hoping it hasn't gone downhill as I always find it a great deal and great service

Search this Thread