Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "CAPTCHA for logging in?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
HHonors Sign In (if the link has disappeared)

https://secure3.hilton.com/en/hh/customer/login/index.htm
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "CAPTCHA for logging in?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:28 am

Yes, I got it this morning. After third attempt to decipher the $@#%*#! captcha, I went to the Marriott site and booked a 5 day stay in one of their properties instead. My eyes are oldish and do not deal well with captchas sometimes.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Stripe
Is Hilton insane? Do they simply want people to stop using their website? Is some sort of a bot automatically logging into Hilton accounts a realistic threat? What could they do even if they did get access?

I can't imagine a customer-facing company with a more incompetent IT department.
Absolutely, it's a real threat. I run a public-facing website that holds significant personal information on our users and we see all sorts of bots trying to brute force their way in. And we're no where near the size of HHonors.

Besides spending points on merchandise, there's also the potential for targeted attacks against specific people in order to figure out where they're staying.

That said, the captcha isn't the solution. Passwords are the solution (plus various tricks to slow down bots).
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Yes, I got it this morning. After third attempt to decipher the $@#%*#! captcha, I went to the Marriott site and booked a 5 day stay in one of their properties instead. My eyes are oldish and do not deal well with captchas sometimes.
If your eyes are that bad, then click on the "speaker" icon to the right of the entry area and the captcha will be spoken to you to enter.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:17 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've been getting it too. It's weird because last week, Hilton.com never seemed to be able to remember my login despite hitting "Remember Me". Now it does but I have to get through the Captcha. I guess this is easier, just weird.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by controller1
If your eyes are that bad, then click on the "speaker" icon to the right of the entry area and the captcha will be spoken to you to enter.
I can't read the damn CAPTCHAs about 60 percent of the time -- the words are worse than the numeral groups -- and I always click on the audio prompt. I hate them, they're crude and user-brutal, but until the website is made intrinsically secure (I've always assumed it is a security sieve, as every visible aspect is a train wreck) I am OK with having it imposed.

"Remember Me" has never, ever worked right in my experience. So... what else isn't working that's less obvious?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:51 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by blackjack-21
Took five or six spins of the CAPTCHA to find one word group that I could read and use to log in to my HHonors account. Worked on the first attempt though. CAPTCHA won't help if hackers previously got your account number and pin or password, as then it won't make any difference.

Now if I could just get the Hilton website to delete my "captured" CC info from my profile from the most recent booking I made a week ago. I never leave my CC info on a website, preferring to enter it each time, but now I can't get it off the Hilton site, by hitting the delete button, changing the number or expiry dates, or any other way, including a call to Hilton. When I hit the submit button on the website (does it really work?) to delete my CC info, it just reverts back to the same number and dates. I've just PM'd the HHonors rep here on FT to finally try to get my CC info off the Hilton site.

Hope that he can get the results for me, without my having to change the HHonors account that I've had for many years.
There are several posts about deleting your CC info in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-security.html
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, there is no pleasing people. You complain that it is too easy to get into accounts. Hilton does something because of the rash of hacked accounts and now you complain you have to go through another hoop to get into your accounts. Is it the best solution? No. Is it Hilton's permanent solution? I don't know. But wow, quit your griping and be happy Hilton is at least responding to the problem. Unbelievable.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
The speaker version is just as bad --why have an audible version, if its just muffled and/or static-filled voices rattling off numbers?

I'm trying to book a few thousand dollars in hotels tonight and can't get anywhere...other than the Marriott site.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Maybe it's a new HHonors 3Q promo: crack the code and get 3x bonus points for your next stay.

Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, AA Plat. Pro
Originally Posted by Baze
Wow, there is no pleasing people. You complain that it is too easy to get into accounts. Hilton does something because of the rash of hacked accounts and now you complain you have to go through another hoop to get into your accounts. Is it the best solution? No. Is it Hilton's permanent solution? I don't know. But wow, quit your griping and be happy Hilton is at least responding to the problem. Unbelievable.
Agree 100%. Once they get rid of pins...which they should. People will complain about that too.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
CAPTCHA done in 3 attempts. Next welcome message "Due to technical issues we cannot access your customer profile right now."
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I can't get signed in. It doesn't like something. I've tried four times.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:28 pm

I don't get the same CAPTCHA as the other posted. Mine are all extremely easy to read. They are all 3 or 4 digit numbers of a photograph of a mailbox or sign or something. I log in and out and refresh many times... all just numbers on photo.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Need
I don't get the same CAPTCHA as the other posted. Mine are all extremely easy to read. They are all 3 or 4 digit numbers of a photograph of a mailbox or sign or something. I log in and out and refresh many times... all just numbers on photo.
I agree. All my CAPTCHAs on Hilton.com have been photos of numbers. Very easy to read.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by JBD
There are several posts about deleting your CC info in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-security.html
Thanks, JBD,

I read the thread you suggested, and I'd already tried all the suggestions there, but with no success in having my CC deleted from the Hilton website. I'm now working with the HHonors rep here on FT, and their team in the hopes of getting the problem resolved. But the older thread you've linked to shows that Hilton had the same problem many months ago, and it still exists on the website after all these months.

bj-21.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.