Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
It's interesting to read these mildly conflicting reports........so which is better doubletree or Hilton Leeds ?.......have booked the Hilton as it's cheap on points and cash, however dunno whether to change or not.....opinions please.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Stayed at both of these in the last 12 months, liked the rooms in the Doubletree better than in the Hilton which seemed older and smaller.
Neither has an exec lounge, so no difference there.
Car Park in the Hilton has some very tight corners, The doubletrees own car park was full so I had to park down the road in the nearby recommended car park, so neither ideal.

Only had breakfast in both of them, don't recall either being bad.

As they're almost next to each other, location is a dead heat.

If I was booking there again I'd probably go for the Doubletree first, although when I checked the prices it seemed quite a bit more expensive than the Hilton.

Things will possibly get quite interesting when the new Leeds Hilton arena opens up!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:00 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
completely agree with adobbing's assessment.

I'd likely stay wherever it was better value due to being so close and similar.

DT is newer and rooms are newer so could be considered better, however, the Hilton treated me well as a Diamond when I did visit there donkeys years ago...I remember a very nice big room with a roll top bath in a big bathroom...that was probably 2010 though and rooms were already tired at that point so if they haven't been renovated since!

If you are driving, the Hilton car park is stupidly tight and multi story. The DT is small, single level but at least you can easily drive it in a car bigger than a golf! Doesn't help if it is full though!

Narrow margin to Hilton if you are going this time of year and it is cheaper IMO. Otherwise, DT.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Thanks guys....... Will take this onboard and see.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Diamonds beware of this hotel. They are playing a little game. They show an Executive rooms, and talk about a "lounge". I booked a Queen room and was only upgraded to the Queen room with view. At check in I asked about the lounge, and I was told, only when you book an Executive Rooms or Diamonds who book a suite get a lounge pass. This statement alone makes no sense.

Never the less they would not give a diamond access to the "lounge" which had a name change as I asked more question. All the sudden it was not a lounge but only a voucher for drinks in the bar.

I was offered to pay for an upgrade of 15GBP to get access to the (not a) lounge. I took him up to see what this really was. My 15 got me a paper called "Granary Lounge Pass" this got me complimentary "drinks and nibbles" in the "LOUNGE" The fine print was "maximum of 4 drinks per person" "House Wine, Bottle Beers and soft drinks"

What a joke. Ironically many Hilton hotels in the UK offer drink vouchers for Diamonds when they do not have a lounge.

So be warned, just if a hotel shows "Executive Rooms" and talk about a lounge online. One Diamond might assume they would have access. At this hotel, NO GO.

Once again a hotel making up their own rules, pissing off loyal guest. FAIL.

from Hilton.com
Executive Rooms
Feel at home in one of our Executive Rooms and enjoy complimentary drinks in the Granary Lounge (5:00pm-7:00pm). Stay connected with complimentary WiFi and watch a movie on the Apple iMac TV/PC. Bathrobes, slippers and luxury bath amenities are also included.

Executive Room Features:
Higher floors
Complimentary drinks at the Lounge
Old May 16, 2015, 11:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Underhand tactics indeed!

I imagine that if the Leeds Arena Hilton ever gets completed, it will take a lot of business from both of the other properties! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-31817324
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilton_Leeds_Arena
Old May 6, 2016, 5:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Just checking on this hotels webpage and noticed that the reference to iMac's in the rooms seems to have gone and now there is mention of 42" Smart TV's in the rooms.
Presumably the former has now been replaced with the latter?
Old May 7, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: AC 50K *G, Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by adobbing
Just checking on this hotels webpage and noticed that the reference to iMac's in the rooms seems to have gone and now there is mention of 42" Smart TV's in the rooms.
Presumably the former has now been replaced with the latter?
I stayed here 2 weeks ago and yes, the iMac's are gone and replaced with large wall mount TV's. Wasn't aware they were "smart tv's" as there was no signage or anything about them. Only noticed the iMac's were gone later after check-in as I stayed here back in August when they still had the iMac's.

Sort of glad they are gone as I stayed at the DT Manchester in August and the remote fob was missing on our iMac therefore couldn't change the TV (on a positive note they gave me 10k HH points for the inconvenience)
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Update based on recent stay.

Parking on a quiet day still possible in their own parking at £15 per night, although the process is very convoluted, you have to wait for someone to come over and get you to sign a piece of paper before they let you in.

Had booked a queen deluxe as all rates were cheap (bank holiday Monday).
Welcomed as a diamond, asked about diamond upgrade and was told I had been upgraded to a queen deluxe.
Pointed out that was what I had booked and was told "I would stick with that, it's a nice room". Reminded him about my diamond status and the upgrade I was supposed to get.
He said he would look, but thought they might be full.
After my barely hidden amusement at this response, an upgrade appeared!
Online availability showed all rooms available up to the best suite, was offered a King junior suite and accepted it rather than debate the point further.
As I was arriving at 18.35, the "free drink in sky bar before 19.00" offered with the room was not really viable.
Was offered a seperate voucher for free drink in either granary or sky bar, presumably valid all night.

Room was very nice corner room overlooking canal basin. Room had large lg tv as well as iMac on desk area. Nespresso coffee machine and two bottles of water and bottle of milk in fridge. No other snack items such as previously seen "graze" selection available, not sure whether there may have been anything waiting in my pre assigned room.
Bathroom had large walk in shower but no separate bath.

Bed was large king size and there was a bed settee and a couple of chairs.

Sky bar was empty but pleasant and drinks voucher was accepted at 2030.

Breakfast was good quality although surprisingly given how quiet the hotel was there were some items missing, slice bread had run out and was not re-stocked until a guest asked for it.

Overall a decent stay although the "upgrade debate" at check in is now starting to grate on me at this and other Hilton hotels.
If you have available rooms to offer as upgrades, offer them without me needing to ask and don't try and fob me off with the "none available" crap, smartphone apps showing room availability mean you can't get away with this anymore!

Last edited by adobbing; Aug 30, 2016 at 4:25 pm
Old May 14, 2017, 4:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre - Always A Great Stay!

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre

Granary Wharf 2 Wharf Approach Leeds, GB LS1 4BR

Always A Great Stay! (2 Photos)

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre

IMG_0545.JPGIMG_0546.JPG

Check In

Lots of check in desks with a decent number of staff availabe whenever I have checked-in here! HHonours seperate desk that is always staffed is a nice touch for the North of the UK...!

Usually I try not to check-in on the HHonours App and leave it until arrival, I have found room upgrades work better at this hotel on the check in desk.

Diamonds receive a stamp on their cardboard key wallet, a graze box and of course, a cookie. The stamp gets you a free drink during a set time frame at the Sky Lounge.

Polite and helpful staff and seem to have time for you.

(Car park is rather small and so is the Valet, NCP style car park next door to theirs that I always seem to have to use..)

Room

I can say that I have never not had an Upgrade and always book a Queen Guest! 

Their Deluxe rooms are basically the same and so are the King rooms. The noticeable upgrades start with the Juinor Suites and I have only once not been able to procure one due to the hotel being legitiamtley fully booked. 

Junior Suites and City Suites have Nespresso Machines, and older style I-Mac for your own use, good sized bathrooms and a sofa to relax on. (Umbrella provided is pretty useful for Leeds...)

Wifi is pretty decent all around the rooms and hotel but is quite poor in the Sky Lounge, I usually try to do some work up there to catch the sun setting (Rather nice from the balcony)

Service

Staff are pretty attentive and the careline never takes long to answer. 

Room service, however is not as fast/attentive as the front of house staff. Food can take a while to reach you in the evenings.

I have never seen more attentive Breakfast staff! To the point where you almost have to let them know you are okay and would like to enjoy your breakfast without interuption! 

Dining

I have never eaten an evening meal in the City Café, there are so many choices right by the Hotel!

Sky Lounge bar on the rooftop is now FANTASTIC, after the refurb and some much needed staff training, the bar is much better. Good spirit and cocktail choice and occasionally, great Live music. 

I have never eaten an evening meal in the City Café, there are so many choices right by the Hotel!

Sky Lounge bar on the rooftop is now FANTASTIC, after the refurb and some much needed staff training, the bar is much better. Good spirit and cocktail choice and occasionally, great Live music. 

Overall

Always A Great Stay!

Would you like to write a review on the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 21, 2017, 8:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Just some useful information to add to the thread about getting to this hotel. Previously if arriving by train you used to exit the station, go under the train lines, in to the dark arches and then across the square to the hotel.

There is now a new entrance/exit to the station on the south side signed as the exit for the "Holbeck Urban Village" and that will take you directly to the open square area near the hotel. You get to this exit along the glass overhead walkway.
BotB likes this.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
There is now a new entrance/exit to the station on the south side signed as the exit for the "Holbeck Urban Village" and that will take you directly to the open square area near the hotel. You get to this exit along the glass overhead walkway.
Just to add that it is the overhead walkway reachable by stairs for some platforms and lifts on others. It is located away from the main station entrance.

I've used this easy transfer route to the hotel even without a ticket in hand by simply explaining I was coming or going to the main ticket purchase office.

be prepared for stiff winds on some days and blocked doors on the Hotel courtyard side.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:23 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Staying at this hotel now

I noted some major changes in the lounges. The Sky Lounge on fl 13 is the same with great views and outside or inside seating.. However they redid the lobby floor to add yet another lounge with much larger outside seating and greater food choices.

Surrounding this hotel are many bars just across the street from the hotel with outside seating and entertainment. These attract the younger working crowds in the late afternoon with lots of action and have a limited food service to keep them there for hours. The Doubletree by adding the new bar and outside lounge siphoned off this younger crowd and at the same time also siphoned off the same age crowd from their 13th floor Sky lounge.

You will now find the Sky lounge much more quiet and less crowded, while at the same time if you want more action join the lounge on the lobby floor without having to go outside in the wind or cold and a much noiser crowd..

choices choices

Meanwhile the check in desk is now giving out a free drink coupons for the lounges to even the lowly Hilton Honors Gold. But beware the downstairs lounge while claiming to honor these coupons severely restricts them more so then the Sky Lounge and a much less friendly manner.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Staying at this hotel now

I noted some major changes in the lounges. The Sky Lounge on fl 13 is the same with great views and outside or inside seating.. However they redid the lobby floor to add yet another lounge with much larger outside seating and greater food choices.

Surrounding this hotel are many bars just across the street from the hotel with outside seating and entertainment. These attract the younger working crowds in the late afternoon with lots of action and have a limited food service to keep them there for hours. The Doubletree by adding the new bar and outside lounge siphoned off this younger crowd and at the same time also siphoned off the same age crowd from their 13th floor Sky lounge.

You will now find the Sky lounge much more quiet and less crowded, while at the same time if you want more action join the lounge on the lobby floor without having to go outside in the wind or cold and a much noiser crowd..

choices choices

Meanwhile the check in desk is now giving out a free drink coupons for the lounges to even the lowly Hilton Honors Gold. But beware the downstairs lounge while claiming to honor these coupons severely restricts them more so then the Sky Lounge and a much less friendly manner.
They have remodelled the old bar and City Café restaurant.

There are now more seats and what seems to be becoming the signature DT décor (DT Chester is also refurbing to similar themes). I hope they will be doing the rooms in due curse because the room décor looks very bland and tired.

I stay normally once a week, indeed now everyone gets one drink voucher which replaces the much better hour of drinks at the Skybar for Diamonds (not a good trade I think).

The third lift has been out of order for almost a year now but at least they got the 2nd elliptical in the gym working after only a 6 month wait.

The breakfast is now a total shambles, huge queues, poor service (I went hunting for someone to take my coffee order after 10 minutes of waiting last week) and a generally poorer layout than in the old restaurant design.

The rooms seem no longer to have any laundry bags (not on my last 4 visits anyway), the management seem to be on a cost saving drive because soap bars have also vanished form the bathrooms and you only have the hand soap in a dispenser. The previous Diamond choice of newspaper has gone and now the choice is the free Yorkshire post (which everyone gets) or nothing. The graze boxes as a healthy alternative to the cookies have also gone.

The cost of parking has risen alarmingly and is now £19 a night or £24 for valet parking (there are properties in London which charge less than this).

All in I continue to stay at the DT because whilst it is a pretty mediocre hotel other options in Leeds are worse, it is simply the best of a very bad bunch and infinitely better than the very poor Hilton next door.

Leeds really desperately needs some new hotel options.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Stayed last weekend for the Triathalon ... checkin was OK - due to large hen/bachelorette party checking in at the time. Room on 10th floor (used on-line checkin) which was ready early at 1pm - ideal. Easy walk from train station, and walked to millenium square - seems a safe area. Given 2 drink vouchers for the Sky Lounge and breakfast which was fine.
As mentioned above one of the elevators is still out - which meant a 5/6 minute wait at busy times - which isnt good. Staff friendly and helpful.
Good internet connection and fairly fast (was at the end of the building)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.