Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What was your first Hilton stay?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:55 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Having visited Florida in 2001: HGI Tampa. We were impressed, those days. Today it would take a little more :-)
In 2002 we stayed at the Hilton Vienna international, i.e. Hilton Vienna in its old days before any renovation when the airport bus had its final destination there. Followed by Hilton Vienna Plaza, which blew us away: spacious room, elegantly designed.
Not before 2004 I stayed at the Hilton Berlin: upgrade to a Dome view room. This nice gesture has made us coming back frequently at least once a year until now.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci
My first stay was New Year’s Eve 2016 at Hilton Manchester Deansgate.

The stay was awful, the AC did not work, the bed was tiny, the pool closed at 4pm (1 hour after check-in) and didn’t open again until 11am (1 hour before check-out), the shower was broken, the bathroom made such a loud noise when you turned the tap on that if you tried washing your hands you would wake up anyone in the room and the adjacent ones.

After the stay, I wrote a lengthy complaint, and expected to get a 10% discount off a future stay or something.

Instead, I received a very personal, very apologetic e-mail detailing the steps they had gone to to investigate and correct the problems I had detailed in my e-mail, a free stay at that hotel, an additional “be my guest voucher”, and. Diamond Fast-Track challenge.

I’ve been on 60+ Hilton nights for four years since...
I have always been impressed with Hilton properties in the UK. I tend to favor the one across the parking lot from Bradford Interchange station if I'm in the Yorkshire area (half the rate of anything in York, and only a 30-minute train ride away), and every stay they give me a hearty "welcome back". I know full well they don't know me from Adam and they're just looking at a computer printout, but it still means something.

I also wrote a letter of suggestion -- not at all a complaint, merely a suggestion -- to a London property (don't remember which one) regarding stocking the room bathrooms with face cloths, which are not common in the UK but somewhat expected in the US. I knew better by then, but did suggest that at least they could have them for guests from the US who might not know (and would really have no reason to know) they're not common. Got a very nice letter back saying they'd consider it, and next time I was there sure enough, there were face cloths in the bathroom!
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Should also mention, addressing the original question, that my first Hilton stay would have been so long ago that I can't remember. Suffice it to say that it was well before the days of loyalty programs!
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:52 pm

Hilton Moscow, with my daughter; one of Stalins old towers. I remember her being amazed at the chandelier and staircase..
Since then we've seen 153 countries and god knows how many Hiltons together.
So many friends we've made amongst Hilton staff and managers. So many fascinating people.

it's been a privilege.

My worst mistake: taking her to Conrad Bali. Will she ever let me enjoy the simplicity of a Hampton again? 😃
not2017 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Originally Posted by DELee
Have you been back? Did you use that free stay?

David
Yes, it’s become something of an anniversary tradition (we do -0 and -5 anniversaries abroad and in between just a nice local stay - we live near Manchester)

We’re always very well looked after.
DELee and wizla like this.
Old May 3, 2020, 12:00 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Hilton PJ Malaysia in the early 90s
Old May 3, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by dlaue
Chicago. 1955
Gee, I though there would be more old timers on this board!

I was 9 in 1955 and my Chicago Hilton stay was also on the same family trip as my first flight. United airlines from ORD to LAX in a DC7. I think the trip took 6 or 7 hours. Can remember taxiing to the runway, stopping, then the flight crew (4 or 5 persons) running each of the 4 piston engines up, one at a time, to check them out.

Later in the flight, my 5 year old brother and I became bored until we flew over the Rockies and experienced our first turbulence. Mountain turbulence at 19,000 feet is a lot more scary than at 38,000 feet!
SPN Lifer and DELee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.