Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton discontinuing Points and fixed miles earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
From the Hilton update:
Starting January 6, 2014, Hilton HHonors will have two Earning Style Options: Points & Points or Points & Miles™. At this time, the Points & Fixed Miles option will be discontinued.

Q: When will this change be implemented?
A: Hilton HHonors will no longer offer Points & Fixed Miles as of January 6, 2014. HHonors will offer two Earning Style Options: Points & Points (HHonors Base Points + HHonors Bonus Points) and Points & Miles (HHonors Base Points + Variable Airline/Rail Miles).

Q: What will happen to members who are currently enrolled in Points & Fixed Miles?
A: Starting on January 6, 2014, members previously enrolled in Points & Fixed Miles will automatically earn airline miles based on every eligible US dollar spent on stays. This will now appear as Points & Miles in the HHonors account profile and no action is required by the member.

Q: What will happen to upcoming stays that I booked with Points & Fixed Miles before the changes were implemented?
A: For all stays with a check-in date before January 6, 2014, members who have Points & Fixed Miles may continue to receive Points & Fixed Miles for their entire stay. For stays with a check-in date on or after January 6, 2014, members with Points & Miles will automatically earn variable miles, or 10 HHonors Base Points plus 1 mile per eligible US dollar spent for most stays.* For a full list of partners and the miles you can earn, visit us here.

Q: How do I know what my Earning Style is and how do I change it?
A: Log-in to your HHonors account on HHonors.com. On your Account Overview page, select “Preferences” under “My Profile” on the left side. Once on the Preferences page, go to “MyWay Earning Style Preferences” where your current Earning Style will be listed. To change your Earning Style, click on the “Change Earning Style” link.
Print Wikipost

Hilton discontinuing Points and fixed miles earning

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Goodbye, Hilton. I need a new program with locations in smaller towns. So, Marriott, Best Western, Holiday Inn, Choice, etc. I'll be researching to see which program offers the best bang for the buck, in terms of earning miles at my preferred airlines, Southwest or Hawaiian.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:23 am

Does anyone have a link to or can you please provide a blurb about which major hotel chain(s) are better than Hilton for a US-based traveler? And by better I am speaking of the whole package: availability, dollar-per-stay value, points acquisition, elite-status perks and customer service.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
If by "availability" you mean footprint, it would be Marriott.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WNHHTraveler
Goodbye, Hilton. I need a new program with locations in smaller towns. So, Marriott, Best Western, Holiday Inn, Choice, etc. I'll be researching to see which program offers the best bang for the buck, in terms of earning miles at my preferred airlines, Southwest or Hawaiian.
That is the issue, Marriott is not in nearly as many small towns as Hilton. So your best bet is holiday inn. Which has some really nice hotels but a lot of bad ones also. Very little consistency though.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Anyone had a stay posted with the new miles yet? I'm hoping they actually haven't changed it.................
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Skimanant
Anyone had a stay posted with the new miles yet? I'm hoping they actually haven't changed it.................
Yes. 5th Jan, 1 night stay. xx miles instead of xxxx.
I also have fixed miles completely missing from the two previous stays - 3rd and 4th. 1st/2nd Jan posted fine though.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:21 pm
DUS

Programs: LH HON, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Skimanant
I checked in at a Doubletree on 5 Jan and despite their FAQ specifically saying that youīd get the fixed miles when you check in before Jan 6 they still credited the variable miles, only.

I sent an email to the Diamond Desk and they replied saying I would not be entitled to the fixed miles since I checked out on the 6th.

Iīve now sent another email quoting from their own website and FAQ. I am very, very frustrated with the whole HH program at the moment.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:24 pm
DUS

Originally Posted by flyingnomadic
I also have fixed miles completely missing from the two previous stays - 3rd and 4th.
Similar situation to mine. Fixed miles missing completely for my first stay in London (3rd - 4th). Very annoying!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
get used to program reductions across all loyalty programs.
You're right, and I get it...all of these companies are mainly looking to maximize short-term profits by controlling capacity, gaining pricing power, and basically migrating away from the notion that long-term relationships with consumers are necessary.

But...I still have to wonder if a company out there (either an airline or hotel brand) will flip the switch and decide to grow their top line through additional capacity and winning greater market share. A loyalty program would be a key hook they'd use to win business...

Am I dreaming? Or has the whole travel industry simply realized that it's a zero-sum game and they should just concentrate on filling a smaller number of hotel rooms and airline seats?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:30 pm
DUS

By the way, the reason why they scrapped the Fixed Miles option is because we HH members didnīt appreciate it enough. I quote from an email I received today:

"As an informed consumer, we can certainly appreciate your perspective. As part of our ongoing management of Hilton HHonors, we routinely make adjustments to the program. In reviewing this benefit, we found there to be a limited participation in this benefit offering. "

Well, there we go! Itīs all our fault!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:56 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DUS
Similar situation to mine. Fixed miles missing completely for my first stay in London (3rd - 4th). Very annoying!
They're on the case:

"Regarding your stays on 03-Jan-2014 and 04-Jan-2014, we are experiencing a technical issue with mileage posting at this time. Once the issue is resolved, all affected accounts will be corrected. Please allow 7 business days for the corrections to be complete."
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:22 am
DUS

Originally Posted by flyingnomadic
They're on the case:

"Regarding your stays on 03-Jan-2014 and 04-Jan-2014, we are experiencing a technical issue with mileage posting at this time. Once the issue is resolved, all affected accounts will be corrected. Please allow 7 business days for the corrections to be complete."
I got the same email from them. However, when I stayed at the DT for my second stay this year, I asked about the missing Miles and after looking it up on their computers hey said that my frequent flier number was not even in the booking for that night. So I very much doubt that the Miles will show up in my account within the next 7 days.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: HH D
Had two "Goodbye Fixed Miles" stays. Both Jan 3-4 and Jan 4-5 have "500 miles" printed on the invoice. Website says: 0 points.

On the other hand: the ticker now says: "Based on stays earned this year, your 2015 tier would be Diamond." Let's see what tomorrow will bring...
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by DUS
By the way, the reason why they scrapped the Fixed Miles option is because we HH members didnīt appreciate it enough. I quote from an email I received today:

"As an informed consumer, we can certainly appreciate your perspective. As part of our ongoing management of Hilton HHonors, we routinely make adjustments to the program. In reviewing this benefit, we found there to be a limited participation in this benefit offering. "

Well, there we go! Itīs all our fault!
My BD and QF accounts beg to differ.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by DUS
Same here. Stayed 4-5 Jan in London and got points as normal + VS bonus miles from current promo but miles for stay posted at 0. Will give it a few more days before chasing it up with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.