Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton discontinuing Points and fixed miles earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
From the Hilton update:
Starting January 6, 2014, Hilton HHonors will have two Earning Style Options: Points & Points or Points & Miles™. At this time, the Points & Fixed Miles option will be discontinued.

Q: When will this change be implemented?
A: Hilton HHonors will no longer offer Points & Fixed Miles as of January 6, 2014. HHonors will offer two Earning Style Options: Points & Points (HHonors Base Points + HHonors Bonus Points) and Points & Miles (HHonors Base Points + Variable Airline/Rail Miles).

Q: What will happen to members who are currently enrolled in Points & Fixed Miles?
A: Starting on January 6, 2014, members previously enrolled in Points & Fixed Miles will automatically earn airline miles based on every eligible US dollar spent on stays. This will now appear as Points & Miles in the HHonors account profile and no action is required by the member.

Q: What will happen to upcoming stays that I booked with Points & Fixed Miles before the changes were implemented?
A: For all stays with a check-in date before January 6, 2014, members who have Points & Fixed Miles may continue to receive Points & Fixed Miles for their entire stay. For stays with a check-in date on or after January 6, 2014, members with Points & Miles will automatically earn variable miles, or 10 HHonors Base Points plus 1 mile per eligible US dollar spent for most stays.* For a full list of partners and the miles you can earn, visit us here.

Q: How do I know what my Earning Style is and how do I change it?
A: Log-in to your HHonors account on HHonors.com. On your Account Overview page, select “Preferences” under “My Profile” on the left side. Once on the Preferences page, go to “MyWay Earning Style Preferences” where your current Earning Style will be listed. To change your Earning Style, click on the “Change Earning Style” link.
Print Wikipost

Hilton discontinuing Points and fixed miles earning

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Will the base points + base points option still exist?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:05 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
I hope that another bunch of loyal HHonors members will leave the chain.
?? Why??

Originally Posted by treppenlaeufer
This is equal to a price increase of around $12.50 to me per stay. not happy.
Can you show us your math?

For Hampton folks who stay multiple nights, this is a good thing. For all of the other properties, not so much unless they are staying for more than $500.00 worth, which lots of folks do.

When money was equal, this was one thing I considered when choosing between an 2XTree/HGI and a Hampton. I suspect I am not alone on this.

Originally Posted by Skimanant
This is a real shame. It can only be to cut ongoing costs, but a shame as the double dipping was a real advantage of Hilton- as said up post on variable miles that's a lot of $$.

I can get 500 miles per stay with ICH- I do enough nights to requalify anyway. Need to think this one over for a few days.
??? Hilton is going to give you the same miles and points, IHG is either/or. ???

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 4, 2013 at 10:43 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Football Fan
Will the base points + base points option still exist?
I was wondering about the same thing.

I certainly hope so.

EDIT: Oh, I see that the wiki is up. Thanks for the update.

Last edited by radiowell; Nov 4, 2013 at 3:32 pm Reason: Wiki now up.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Originally Posted by underpressure
When money was equal, this was one thing I considered when choosing between an 2XTree/HGI and a Hampton. I suspect I am not alone on this.
The fixed miles drove a lot of my stays, which were typically 1-2 nights, to Hilton properties other than Hampton Inn--and they were a nice benefit to spreading multi-day stays around different Hilton properties. With the earlier devaluation, I started booking more-interesting (and often a little cheaper) boutique hotels. With this one, I will be hitting up Priceline on a regular basis.

On the other hand, while a periodic HHonors gold member, I'm not up there with many frequent travelers as far as hotel stays. I would be surprised if Hilton noticed I was staying less with them.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Can you show us your math?
Not answering the above example specifically but valuing the 600 Avios that I'll be down per night at GBP0.01 each is about a USD9 loss. Others would value those Avios at twice as much depending on how they use them.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
So on a PR09PN/PR13CB UK weekend stay at circa £100, equivalent us$150 ($125 + $25 tax), assuming vat/taxes dont count, I will in future get credit of 125miles/night for Virgin Atlantic instead of 1000 per stay.

I agree Hiton are trying to cost save, and it will definitely rebound on them I maight now only stay in future after Jan2014 when Airline Mile Promos for Virgin, BA or KLM exist to negate this benefits earnings reduction.

This may well drive me back to IHG much quicker, having 4Q2013 started Hilton over disgust of my IHG Big Win promo goals, targets as a frequent elite, compared to thse who hardly stayed.
On IHG I collect points as I beieve that is better than collecting miles as you later can convert points to miles for greater miles that way.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hilton HHonors management is addicted to devaluing the program one way after another and will continue to do so because so few customers jump ship and avoid the Hilton ship despite hitting customers with one stinky change after another.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
For Hampton folks who stay multiple nights, this is a good thing. For all of the other properties, not so much unless they are staying for more than $500.00 worth, which lots of folks do.

I am 50/50 on this as I have had some Hampton stays where I have spent $500+, but I have also had some Hilton and Doubletree stays where I have paid $69.. I guess overall, I am indifferent. I will just switch over to points / points for most of my stays.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:57 pm

On the positive side, I will now be able to simplify and enhance my own travel experiences, by staying at a much wider range of hotel chains. This enables me to take advantage of specific offers at those chains, and be able to make more frequent comparisons of the competitive lodgings on offer.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
the HH program has indeed been "enhanced"..........enhanced in favor of HH (so what else is new!!)

Originally Posted by zachary
This is my favorite part. They actually used the word "enhanced."
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
Another reason why I no longer stay at Hilton.
This year I have 1 paid night stay all the rest are to burn my points booked pre-March 'enhancement'.

Usually by this time of the year I would have qualified for Diamond based all 3 criteria of base points, stays and nights.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:52 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I think someone at Hilton Corporate must moonlight at United Airlines, or has a relative working at United Corporate.

Read all about the massive UA devaluation announced on Halloween (give or take 1 day) - effectively raising mileage requirements on J and F flights up to 100%.

I guess someone at Hilton thought this would be a good time to trash their program (yet again) so that they fit right in.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
?? Why??
Why not.......don't you know corporate greed when you see it. This is no different than an employer taking away benefits in order to make the bottom line look better.

Why would this bother anyone.

I want the most I can get so if Marriott or another chain comes up with a better loyalty program then you leave. Sooner or later Hilton will hit that point.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by san888
Why not.......don't you know corporate greed when you see it. This is no different than an employer taking away benefits in order to make the bottom line look better.

Why would this bother anyone.

I want the most I can get so if Marriott or another chain comes up with a better loyalty program then you leave. Sooner or later Hilton will hit that point.
This is your example of "corporate greed?" The slight reduction of benefits given to frequent guests? I'm sure this change will not make Hilton executives rich. It's a market economy, people. Frequent lodging programs are being reduced across the board. The constitution doesn't guarantee us the right to fixed miles.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by LH4116
I am sure their next move will be to eliminate all the mattress runners and stay maximizers, by counting constructive nights at different properties within a 30 mile radius as one status qualifying stay instead of three.
I am not sure if you have realized, but this exactly what they did..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.