Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton discontinuing Points and fixed miles earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
From the Hilton update:
Starting January 6, 2014, Hilton HHonors will have two Earning Style Options: Points & Points or Points & Miles™. At this time, the Points & Fixed Miles option will be discontinued.

Q: When will this change be implemented?
A: Hilton HHonors will no longer offer Points & Fixed Miles as of January 6, 2014. HHonors will offer two Earning Style Options: Points & Points (HHonors Base Points + HHonors Bonus Points) and Points & Miles (HHonors Base Points + Variable Airline/Rail Miles).

Q: What will happen to members who are currently enrolled in Points & Fixed Miles?
A: Starting on January 6, 2014, members previously enrolled in Points & Fixed Miles will automatically earn airline miles based on every eligible US dollar spent on stays. This will now appear as Points & Miles in the HHonors account profile and no action is required by the member.

Q: What will happen to upcoming stays that I booked with Points & Fixed Miles before the changes were implemented?
A: For all stays with a check-in date before January 6, 2014, members who have Points & Fixed Miles may continue to receive Points & Fixed Miles for their entire stay. For stays with a check-in date on or after January 6, 2014, members with Points & Miles will automatically earn variable miles, or 10 HHonors Base Points plus 1 mile per eligible US dollar spent for most stays.* For a full list of partners and the miles you can earn, visit us here.

Q: How do I know what my Earning Style is and how do I change it?
A: Log-in to your HHonors account on HHonors.com. On your Account Overview page, select “Preferences” under “My Profile” on the left side. Once on the Preferences page, go to “MyWay Earning Style Preferences” where your current Earning Style will be listed. To change your Earning Style, click on the “Change Earning Style” link.
Print Wikipost

Hilton discontinuing Points and fixed miles earning

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down Hilton discontinuing Points and fixed miles earning

Just received email from Hilton.
Points and fixed miles earning to be discontinued from January. Really disappointing news
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
No more Points and Fixed Miles

Per a Hilton email I just received:

An update from hilton hhonors

Over the years, we have evolved and enhanced the Hilton HHonors™ program to provide benefits that deliver value and complement the way you travel. We have reviewed our members’ earning preferences and have decided to simplify our Earning Style Options.

On January 6, 2014, we will discontinue the Points & Fixed Miles Earning Style. At this time, you will automatically start to earn variable miles, or 10 HHonors Base Points plus one airline mile (or kilometer) per eligible US dollar spent for most stays.* This will appear as Points & Miles™ in your HHonors account profile. To learn more about this update and our Points & Points Earning Style, please visit us here.

We know the ability to Double Dip® is important to you and are pleased to be able to continue to offer this unique benefit. Hilton HHonors is the only hotel loyalty program that lets you earn Points & Miles from your choice of more than 50 airlines around the world. This update allows us to remain focused on the most widely-used rewards our members value.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to hosting you on your next getaway at any one of our 4,000 hotels and resorts worldwide.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:51 am

Location: PHL/KOA - SU '03 M BB NCAA Champs/Phillies '08 WS Champs/Eagles '18 SB Champs
Programs: AA EXP (3MM)/HH Diamond
No More Fixed Miles

Another big downgrade IMO:

Dear tudorcity:

Over the years, we have evolved and enhanced the Hilton HHonors™ program to provide benefits that deliver value and complement the way you travel. We have reviewed our members’ earning preferences and have decided to simplify our Earning Style Options.

On January 6, 2014, we will discontinue the Points & Fixed Miles Earning Style. At this time, you will automatically start to earn variable miles, or 10 HHonors Base Points plus one airline mile (or kilometer) per eligible US dollar spent for most stays.* This will appear as Points & Miles™ in your HHonors account profile. To learn more about this update and our Points & Points Earning Style, please visit us here.

We know the ability to Double Dip® is important to you and are pleased to be able to continue to offer this unique benefit. Hilton HHonors is the only hotel loyalty program that lets you earn Points & Miles from your choice of more than 50 airlines around the world. This update allows us to remain focused on the most widely-used rewards our members value.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to hosting you on your next getaway at any one of our 4,000 hotels and resorts worldwide.

Sincerely,

Mark Weinstein
Vice President - Hilton HHonors
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by tudorcity

Dear tudorcity:

Sincerely,

Mark Weinstein

I hope that another bunch of loyal HHonors members will leave the chain.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
The double dip with 500 miles was one of the few areas that Hilton actually came out on a positive note. Having to spend $500 a night to get that amount now? A big minus.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:04 pm

Over the years, we have evolved and enhanced the Hilton HHonors™ program to provide benefits that deliver value and complement the way you travel.
This is my favorite part. They actually used the word "enhanced."

Back when you could get WN points, I did the fixed mile thing. I've been points & points since then, so this won't impact me. But to suggest this is an enhancement . . .
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:12 pm

Location: PHL/KOA - SU '03 M BB NCAA Champs/Phillies '08 WS Champs/Eagles '18 SB Champs
Programs: AA EXP (3MM)/HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zachary
This is my favorite part. They actually used the word "enhanced."
I actually liked this part best:
We have reviewed our members’ earning preferences and have decided to simplify our Earning Style Options.
I'm glad they are looking out for us - and only simplifying our choices.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
As I fly Delta, this actually gives the same situation SPG now offers with "Crossover rewards." When I use HH it's often for a HGI or similar in a location where SPG and Hyatt don't have options, so losing "Points and fixed miles" definitely hurts my value.

Question to people who are more involved with Hilton. Will the post Jan-2014 value come out better with points and variable miles or points and points? I value a mile at 1.2 cents and don't have a great sense of what a HH point is worth post-devaluation.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:23 pm
Suspended

So Funny

Dear tudorcity:

Sincerely,

Mark Weinstein
They need a better marketing/PR director if they think we are going to buy this stuff as a positive change. Hello Marriott and SPG for moi.

"The definition of a zealot is someone who -- having lost any idea of what his purpose was -- now doubles down on his effort!"
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
I actually liked this part best:
We have reviewed our members’ earning preferences and have decided to simplify our Earning Style Options.
I'm glad they are looking out for us - and only simplifying our choices.
That was pretty much how they announced the elimination of the rollover elite eligibility a few years ago. Apparently, it was just too difficult for a typical member to keep track of his/her stays when crossing the calendar year boundary.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:37 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Is there anything in this program left to gut?

Seems like they have taken all the meat out and only the bones (and a couple of rare members) are left here.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Damn it, and I just changed my earning style (stupidly forgot to do that before my last two stays). 500 miles + HHonors points for cheap stays sure was a good aspect of the program.

But I suppose this is good if you're on an expensive stay, hence you'll earn much more than 500 miles. But it would've been better if they could have introduced a flexible miles scheme, but kept the 500 as a minimum mileage earning.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Nice Hilton. Can't wait to see your next 'enhancement'...

One area that was nice to get a shot in the arm of miles...no longer.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
♫ When a turd hits your eye, like a big pizza pie, that's amore ♫♫

(Or am I confusing this with the song sung over in the UA forum with each "enhancement?")
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Wonder if you only get the email if this is your setting in HH to minimize bad press to all members?

Luckily for me I do HH pts and HH pts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.