Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York - Times Square South {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York - Times Square South {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I had a co-worker stay here last December (assuming its Doubletree Times Square South) and she said the room was definitely on the small side without much extra room, but the bed was comfy, staff was good and complimentary breakfast was decent enough (she is not as picky as I am, she wanted midtown instead of down where I usually stay at the Conrad). The rate she had was very competitive. From her description, I get the feeling its the same as the new HGIs that have recently come online in Manhattan which are functional, but on the tight side.

Of the Midtown properties I have personally stayed I, the Hilton Times Square and Doubletree Suites Times Square are the most spacious. The Hilton Times Square is a better property/experience in my opinion (also a better location with less Times Square chaos).
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:17 am

I have stayed at the Doubletree Chelsea (if OP is not taking about the Doubletree Times Square South, its probably the Doubletree Chelsea referenced) three or so years ago and I thought that was perfectly fine albeit not the most spacious and I could walk from Penn Station.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 7:37 am

It seems a lot of the newer HGIs & HIs in at least Midtown are not generous with space. I have a friend who stayed at the relatively new Hampton over by the UN and he commented that his room was so small that while lying in bed he could adjust the thermostat and turn the TV on/off with his feet. In fact it became a running line during the trip "Did I tell you how small my room is?"

Basically, its Midtown Manhattan, if you are not cramped you are lucky to be staying somewhere nice versus just functional.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Miesque
I have stayed at the Doubletree Chelsea (if OP is not taking about the Doubletree Times Square South, its probably the Doubletree Chelsea referenced) three or so years ago and I thought that was perfectly fine albeit not the most spacious and I could walk from Penn Station.
The OP specifically stated the DT was on 36th Street which is the DT Times Square South. The Chelsea property is on 29th Street.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Just stayed here....what a dump. The HGIs and Hamptons in midtown are far better. The room is small, which is to be expected. One elevator was out of service during my entire stay. The other was being used by all 26 floors of guests and housekeeping. Three times, I got stuck on the *functioning* operator, as the door would just open and shut repeatedly (5+ times), so I snuck out and walked. When I called the front desk, I was told I was wrong and the elevator was working fine.
Room was pretty beat up and has seen better days. No upgrade. Given a breakfast voucher I didn't use. Front desk had an attitude in general. Lobby was a disaster area. Gym didnt even have basic hand weights, and had a completely empty water cooler. Location is fine, same block as Crowne Plaza HY36 and other newer hotels.

King bed room

Bathroom

Waiting for the elevator in the lobby

Last edited by Adam1222; Apr 22, 2019 at 2:11 pm Reason: Add pics
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
​​​​​​Fully agree — a dump indeed. Very old and dated, rooms smell, the hotel is right next to a dumpster warehouse or something similar, which basically means it stinks the moment you walk out the door.

The elevators are shared with room service. Breakfast area is pretty packed unless you go there early.

one to avoid.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone stayed there recently? https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/nyc...-square-south/

On TripAdvisor, there are very few reviews and mostly not so great, consistent with some of the comments here. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._New_York.html

I am trying to decide how much suffering I should put up to save my hard-earned points
Old Feb 19, 2023, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The pictures in the review above are of the Doubletree Chelsea, NOT the Times Sq. South location. The actual T.S.S. location is pretty new--I don't know if there was a name change or what. (But I stayed at the Chelsea location about 5 years ago, and it was under the Chelsea name then.)

This hotel is actually about 3 blocks north of Penn Station, not really Times Square South. Rooms are small, but equivalent to the Marriott Residence Inn I stayed in last May, as well as to many other NYC properties. Everything was still new and clean. I picked a room on the third floor because I know sometimes in these small hotels, the elevators back up, but I had no problems all stay. I was on the front of the hotel, and there was some street noise the first night, but I didn't notice it the rest of the stay. And no noise from adjacent rooms! I did the online checkin, and the digital key worked, if a bit slow. Housekeeping every 4 days, or on request. While the room was small, it was functional. Most annoying was that the desk chair had no wheels. It was a regular four-legged chair. Bathroom and shower were small, but good. I still had just enough counter space for my stuff. I was impressed by the professionalism of the desk staff. The restaurant is small and actually not run directly by the hotel. Breakfasts ranged from 18-25 and included juice and coffee. Since I'd booked as a double, this was all covered by my Diamond benefit. The a-la-carte menu was, I think, better than the buffet, which is only available weekends. Service was generally OK, although the last day they got my omelette order wrong, and I had to send it back, and the server wouldn't bring me cream until I asked 3 times. I also asked for the check early and told him to charge it right away as I was checking out. He didn't do that, either, so when I checked out the front desk manager ran over to the restaurant TWICE to urge them to send over the charge so I could get a complete bill. The desk staff here totally understood my need to see the bill before checkout, and showed some urgency about getting it finalized for me. I've had a LOT of trouble with that recently--hotels that just tell you, "You're all set," and expect you to leave and are flummoxed when you ask to see the bill.

There is an A/C/E subway entrance 1 block away, and plenty of restaurants in the area. Since it's so close to Penn Station, it actually makes sense to take the LIRR in from the airport (either LGA or JFK). I took the E in, since I arrived late, but took LIRR out, since the E was out of service all weekend from Penn Station.

I'd give this place 4.5 / 5 stars.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Got a fantastic rate under 80 USD plus tax per night for three nights in February. No upgrade as a diamond. High floor requested and received. Full buffet breakfast every morning for two with no up charge. Slowest lifts in history, always request high floor as you be first in them for the way down.

Rooms are small , beds comfortable, close to Broadway theatres , really great value for the money paid.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, $80 USD is a bargain!

I ended up staying at the hotel a few weeks ago. Other than the restaurant, I thought it was a pretty good experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.