Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York - Times Square South {US-NY}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York - Times Square South {US-NY}

Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Diamond
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York - Times Square South {US-NY}

The Doubletree times square just became available for the Super Bowl for some bizarre reason, it had been blacked out every day until now. I had booked the Conrad but would rather have this to be near all the touristy super bowl stuff.

Great redemption with it going to a Category 10 and nice way to burn some points.

Heads up last day for cancellation is Dec 31 2013.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL, HH, SPG, AMEX
Thanks for the great idea, i hadn't thought of this at all as i was thinking through ways to use the points before devaluation. 4 nights Thur-Sun priced out to 170K, would have cost almost $5,000 to book.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
DoubleTree Times Square 12/31 Downgraded Pre-Arrival

I booked a rewards reservation for tonight at the Doubletree Times Square booked pre-devaluation for 50K points. Reservation confirmation is for 1 QN BED PREM SUITE-LIV RM SOFA BED-CITY VW. Just looked at my reservation and it says 2 DBLS PREMIUM SUITE-LIV RM SOFA BED so I lost both the queen bed and the City View.

I realize the hotel is fully booked tonight but am I just SOL? I'm going with my wife so obviously the bed preference is important.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:54 am

Have you called the hotel and ask for explanation? Call now before the masses check-in!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Rooms are available for tonight on the website.

The room allocation is an upgrade, its $40 more than what you booked a night.

Appreciate maybe wanting 1 bed though. I might be tempted to ask it to be changed to a king suite times square view, which is more expensive than what you booked, level 20 up, but cheaper than what you have been allocated- you might prefer the view?

Last edited by Skimanant; Dec 31, 2013 at 12:26 pm
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Bump. I am curious as to how this situation turned out for the OP.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
City View is the standard room view.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
The rep at the front desk was courteous and had a sense of humour about our suggestion of a room with a view of the ball but said they were simply out of queen beds, however he did give us the city view room (room 2008) which apparently is a room on a higher floor. (If you try different dates you will see city view rooms selling at a premium.)

It was NYE so we were ok with it. Double bed wasn't that bad for two people. Could see some of the crowd in Times Square from our room and we had a good time.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
I can't seem to find a review of this property. There seem to be several threads about Doubletree Suites Times Square but not the Doubletree Times Square South. I'm considering a stay in October and would be curious about reviews of hotel.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
This has become my "go to" near Penn Station relatively inexpensive hotel. There are many Hilton properties in the area and I'd always shied away from this one because it often is much less expensive than the others (and my experience is when a hotel is much cheaper than the alternatives there's a reason). If there's a reason for this one being cheaper, it's the neighborhood...not a very nice block. The physical plant is pretty much the same as the other comparable hotels...narrow building, cramped halls, tiny rooms, small restaurant, slow elevators. You learn to live with that in NYC unless you're willing to pay more. But I've stayed here twice in the past couple months, and found it to be completely delightful. The primary reason is the staff...every single person I encountered went out of his or her way to be nice and to be helpful. You can't walk through the lobby without someone greeting you and asking if they can do anything for you. Pretty unusual anywhere, but in Manhattan it's shocking! And they actually are helplful...I had some difficulty connecting my laptop to the HDMI port on the TV, I called the front desk, the engineer came up promptly, and he removed the tv from the wall and plugged in the cord! A few minutes later I got a call asking if I was satisfied, a few minutes after that, someone else arrived at my door with some extra water bottles. It's not the Millenium or the Conrad to be sure...but for lowish rate basic hotels in NY, this is my choice.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime diamond. AA gold
Exclamation Doubletree 36th Street NYC

Stayed at Doubletree on 36th street 3 Nov on a "by my guest certificate". Staff was very helpful and friendly. Room was clean and quite.

UNFORTUNATELY the room (23rd floor) was really really small. Smaller then the Hampton Inn in the area and possibly the smallest room I've stayed in the US There was barely enough space to move in the room.

If Doubletree is supposed to be a step down from the Hilton Brand this location is a giant fall. Oh and the door to shower open inward. Kind of makes it hard to get in and out.

Granted I am a diamond and did request a room on upper floor and near elevator but this is just too weird. Am I missing something
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Geneaudio
Stayed at Doubletree on 36th street 3 Nov on a "by my guest certificate". Staff was very helpful and friendly. Room was clean and quite.

UNFORTUNATELY the room (23rd floor) was really really small. Smaller then the Hampton Inn in the area and possibly the smallest room I've stayed in the US There was barely enough space to move in the room.

If Doubletree is supposed to be a step down from the Hilton Brand this location is a giant fall. Oh and the door to shower open inward. Kind of makes it hard to get in and out.

Granted I am a diamond and did request a room on upper floor and near elevator but this is just too weird. Am I missing something
That's a cookie cutter building. Several of the Manhattan HGIs are built exactly the same, including the one on 35th Street. Same as the new Hyatt Herald Square a few blocks away. The biggest issue I have with those rooms is not the size (yes they're very small, but it's Manhattan), but that you cannot escape the noise from the elevator lobby because all the rooms open directly onto it.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Geneaudio
If Doubletree is supposed to be a step down from the Hilton Brand this location is a giant fall.
DT is just a catch-all bucket into which the random properties that don't fit elsewhere fall. Don't ever assume anything about a DT - research each one individually.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
I also stayed here a few years back and chose it based on price. I think in this case I got what I paid for. The rooms were small and breakfast was very cluttered and busy. Location is fine and staff were fine but it pretty much met expectations.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I assume you are referring to the Doubletree Times Square South. Although I don't usually stay in this area, it's not a bad little property and I haven't found the rooms to be much smaller than other similar properties.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.