Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The "Biscuits and Gravy at Honors Properties -- Best and Worst" thread

Old Apr 27, 2008, 6:30 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

I know some of you aren't fans; hold your noses, bit your tongues, and look the other way while those of us who are discuss

Good Hampton Inns: Florissant/St. Louis, Missouri. Some of the best I've had not just at a Hampton, but anywhere ^

Mediocre Hampton Inn: Ft. Worth, Texas and LAX

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 4, 2013 at 4:16 pm
Old Apr 27, 2008, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Best: Winchester, VA, near Apple Blossom Mall--bonus points because if you call ahead and talk to the breakfast attendant, she'll hook you up with them!
Also, at the one in Willow Grove, PA, the breakfast attendant will do the same.

Worst: Salisbury, NC--all breakfast items are individually packaged and you microwave them to heat them. Nasty!

Worst biscuits: Pittsburgh (Oakland/University Center), PA, biscuits were stale
Old May 23, 2008, 2:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Iirc, the Hampton Inn in Yuba City CA had really good biscuits 'n' gravy.
Old May 23, 2008, 9:12 pm

Location: Midland, by way of Odessa, by way of El Paso, by way of Abuja, by way of Mexico City, by way of...
Programs: Aadvantage Exec Plat, AmEx Platinum, Hilton Diamond, United Club, Admiral's Club
The biscuits and gravy at the Ft. Stockton, TX Hampton Inn are pretty good, but not a great overall experience. One time they served them and it was me, my family, and a bunch of oil field workers. You don't want to get between them and the gravy. The other time the oil field workers had been replaced by a bunch of Texas state troopers there for some sort of meeting. You definitely don't get between a man with a gun and his breakfast. He'd just shoot me then calmly eat his breakfast while he waited for the grand jury to no-bill him.

Seriously, it is a nice hotel but the breakfast area is always crowded on the days they serve biscuits and gravy and I am passing through town. Hard to fight your way up to the buffet. Just go to the IHOP next door.

The best Hampton gravy I ever had was in Abingdon, Virginia, in March of this year. To make it worse, the buddy I was traveling with was particularly hungry and wanted to hit the Cracker Barrel. It was the fifth Cracker Barrel visit in a cross country odyssey as my buddy got PCS'ed from California to Africa by way of Washington. That should have been a warning, but I left my perfectly pleasant Hampton gravy and traded it in for some Cracker Barrel Gut Rot Brand.

Dude ate half his gravy at the Cracker Barrel, and.... the other half was still standing up in the bowl. Like Moses parting the Red Sea. He was not in good shape for the rest of the day. My only gravy that day was from the Hampton, and I produced odors at least 50% less foul for the rest of the day.

Mmmm, Hampton gravy.
Old May 23, 2008, 10:04 pm

this stuff will kill you.. be careful
Old May 23, 2008, 10:07 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Best: Stockton, CA
Old May 24, 2008, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Dunno. I haven't been to Hampton Inn for more than two or three years.
Old May 28, 2008, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Talking

At the one in Alajuela, Costa Rica (aka Hampton at Juan Santamaria International Airport) I thought it tasted good when I arrived in Costa Rica. But it was outstanding the morning I departed for home, after climbing volcanoes, hiking beaches, riding ziplines, and - not least, driving - for eight days.....
Old May 29, 2008, 11:55 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Does HGI count? I just returned from a stay a the HGI in Williamsburg, VA and I have to say they gravy was mighty tasty!
Old May 31, 2008, 2:20 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
WORST is DoubleTree West Palm Beach Aiport! This hotel has recently had a name change from the Raddison to the Doubletree..The breakfast buffet is Really BAD..Ive tried it on 3 different ocassions..they have breakfast until 11am and seem to leave the food sitting out since 6am..The food is dried out and hard as a rock..we are talking pancakes that will bounce off the floor and gravy that is solid..
Old Jun 1, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Hampton Vancouver Bad

Gravy looked like vomit. Biscuits hard as stones. And this is different from where? Go to Bob Evans or somewhere like that.

Last edited by ORDflyer; Jun 2, 2008 at 3:01 pm
Old Jun 2, 2008, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No thanks. It reminds me too much of the unidentified stuff served in an army or navy chow line.

MisterNice
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:21 am

Programs: DL HH
the biscuits at the doubletree columbus make good doorstops and fit well under crooked table legs.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 8:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Unidentified? What? We always called it "SOS." Er, "stuff on a shingle" to put it in a family oriented presentation.

I saw biscuits and gravy at the HGI San Antonio International Airport - all "white gravy" and no sausage. They seem not to know - in Texas! - this is supposed to be sausage gravy, with enough sausage bits to cause arteriosclerosis. Poor excuse for that!

Originally Posted by MisterNice
No thanks. It reminds me too much of the unidentified stuff served in an army or navy chow line.

MisterNice
Old Aug 12, 2008, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Unidentified? What? We always called it "SOS." Er, "stuff on a shingle" to put it in a family oriented presentation.

I saw biscuits and gravy at the HGI San Antonio International Airport - all "white gravy" and no sausage. They seem not to know - in Texas! - this is supposed to be sausage gravy, with enough sausage bits to cause arteriosclerosis. Poor excuse for that!
Its SOS in all the services but still unidentified ie I have no idea where the "meat" (if any) comes from. Is it from a cow, a pig, a chicken. a goat or what? The sausage stuff definately has the biggest lumps. The US Army SOS has far more and bigger flour lumps than the SOS produced by the USN, USAF or USMC cooks.

MisterNice

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.