FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1440180-2013-changes-hh-reward-stays-new-cat-more-pts-needed.html)

Just Another Diamond Mar 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by nlkm9 (Post 20409927)
I'm still annoyed at having to stay 30 nites to be diamond..I don't think I can take anymore changes!

If 30 nights can get me to Diamond, I would qualify every year! I think you meant, 30 stays, which is up 2 stays from the previous 28 stays requirement. I am more annoyed that great Hilton Worldwide properties now cost so much!

Happy Mar 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by keirnna (Post 20409849)
Is there anywhere outside the resort that you can visit? Do you like Koh Samui?

No. The Atolls in Maldives are SMALL.

Samui is a good size island. Maldives are made up with many tiny atolls, each atoll has one resort.

It takes just a day you would cover the whole Atoll.

You would need water sports a lot, or enjoy being idling, to enjoy your 7 days there.

The_Wrath_of_Khan Mar 13, 2013 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 20410229)
No. The Atolls in Maldives are SMALL.

Samui is a good size island. Maldives are made up with many tiny atolls, each atoll has one resort.

It takes just a day you would cover the whole Atoll.

You would need water sports a lot, or enjoy being idling, to enjoy your 7 days there.

Yes I get the difference in size and geography. I was asking if the poster like Koh Samui because that is probably the single shittiest place I have ever been to in the world. If someone recommends Maldives and likes Koh Samui that is a good measure that we are not on the same wave length. It's in a tight competition with Pattaya for the worst part of Thailand, but I think it wins out. At least in Pattaya I can still eat for 35 baht each meal and get a metered taxi.

If the Maldives is not a real experience, ie you are stuck on a tiny, beautiful, atoll without locals, local food, culture, etc. just a stupid underwater restaurant; well then I'd rather stay home. I already live on a tropical island. I don't want to go somewhere with $90 a bottle beers and sh*ty food.

whimike Mar 13, 2013 4:35 am

Originally Posted by keirnna (Post 20410866)
I already live on a tropical island. I don't want to go somewhere with $90 a bottle beers and sh*ty food.

What part of Japan is a tropical island? :confused:

Just Another Diamond Mar 13, 2013 5:01 am

Yes I get the difference in size and geography. I was asking if the poster like Koh Samui because that is probably the single shittiest place I have ever been to in the world. If someone recommends Maldives and likes Koh Samui that is a good measure that we are not on the same wave length. It's in a tight competition with Pattaya for the worst part of Thailand, but I think it wins out. At least in Pattaya I can still eat for 35 baht each meal and get a metered taxi.

If the Maldives is not a real experience, ie you are stuck on a tiny, beautiful, atoll without locals, local food, culture, etc. just a stupid underwater restaurant; well then I'd rather stay home. I already live on a tropical island. I don't want to go somewhere with $90 a bottle beers and sh*ty food.

My parents share your beliefs! No point going to any resort! It's just a waste of money! Expensive food. Expensive transportation. Expensive drinks. Expensive hotel rooms. Expensive everything! There's a reason why they never wanted to go Maldives, and perhaps Koh Samui.

Their favorite destinations are major cities of the world, where they get to enjoy free drinks and snacks at a Hilton Exec lounge!

I have just been to Koh Samui. The views are simply stunning (in the Conrad of course). Most other areas of the island simply do not compare! Taxi is expensive. The cheapest way to get to the Conrad from USM airport is via Mr Samui, who charges 1200 THB or around 40 USD. Other taxi drivers are especially delighted when they pick up a group of farangs, and they know it's time for the big ripoff! :D

Anyway I hope you find good use for your HH points! All the best in your travels! ^

EDIT: 35 baht for a proper meal in Phuket? Now that's almost free! The cheapest food I have had in Thailand was in Bangkok, Crab meat fried rice + green curry for 70 baht. Tasty tasty!

The_Wrath_of_Khan Mar 13, 2013 5:53 am

Originally Posted by whimike (Post 20411044)
what part of japan is a tropical island? :confused:

o k i n a w a

Thanks for helping with my question.

The_Wrath_of_Khan Mar 13, 2013 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Just Another Diamond (Post 20411102)
My parents share your beliefs! No point going to any resort! It's just a waste of money! Expensive food. Expensive transportation. Expensive drinks. Expensive hotel rooms. Expensive everything! There's a reason why they never wanted to go Maldives, and perhaps Koh Samui.

Their favorite destinations are major cities of the world, where they get to enjoy free drinks and snacks at a Hilton Exec lounge!

I have just been to Koh Samui. The views are simply stunning (in the Conrad of course). Most other areas of the island simply do not compare! Taxi is expensive. The cheapest way to get to the Conrad from USM airport is via Mr Samui, who charges 1200 THB or around 40 USD. Other taxi drivers are especially delighted when they pick up a group of farangs, and they know it's time for the big ripoff! :D

Anyway I hope you find good use for your HH points! All the best in your travels! ^

EDIT: 35 baht for a proper meal in Phuket? Now that's almost free! The cheapest food I have had in Thailand was in Bangkok, Crab meat fried rice + green curry for 70 baht. Tasty tasty!

I used to work in Thailand for about a month a year. Boy I wish I was doing that again. Gai Pad Krapow on the street cooked fresh is normally 30 baht, 35 if you want an egg. I eat that nearly every day for lunch when in Thailand.

My issues aren't an aversion to expense. I stopped by the W Resort while I was on Koh Samui and it was spectacular and not at all cheap. The thing is I don't want to eat off the same menu every night and get over charged for what often amount to lame, toned down for foreigners, variations on local food for 900 times the price a local would pay. It just sounds like the Maldives is not for me. I feel cramped if I cannot go explore every day.

Ritz Mar 13, 2013 6:12 am

Originally Posted by keirnna (Post 20411262)
I used to work in Thailand for about a month a year. Boy I wish I was doing that again. Gai Pad Krapow on the street cooked fresh is normally 30 baht, 35 if you want an egg. I eat that nearly every day for lunch when in Thailand.

My issues aren't an aversion to expense. I stopped by the W Resort while I was on Koh Samui and it was spectacular and not at all cheap. The thing is I don't want to eat off the same menu every night and get over charged for what often amount to lame, toned down for foreigners, variations on local food for 900 times the price a local would pay. It just sounds like the Maldives is not for me. I feel cramped if I cannot go explore every day.

If you're that interested in detailed information on the Maldives, perhaps you should read these instead of hijacking this thread any further:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...li-island.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...s-reviews.html

sharklover Mar 13, 2013 8:10 am

Actually beer in the Conrad Maldives costs around $5 if you get it at happy hour which is what I did everyday. Also food at Rangali bar is really good and prices are around $25.

whimike Mar 13, 2013 9:28 am

Originally Posted by keirnna (Post 20411241)
o k i n a w a

Thanks for helping with my question.

If you are looking to spend $1 on dinner, have a taxi (metered or not), not be stuck on a small island, mingle with locals, etc... then the Conrad Maldives is likely not for you.

Can you get off the island and do some things? Sure, but what you can do is limited. The ability to disconnect from the world in one of the most beautiful tropical places on earth will appeal to certain people and not to others. Different strokes for different folks.

Living in sub-tropical Okinawa is no comparison and shouldn't be used as a reason not to visit the Maldives.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Mar 13, 2013 4:14 pm

Who cares!

I just had a perfect "who cares" about Hilton moment yesterday while in TX. Looked at what I was paying and what point wise matters after Hilton pending changes. Cxld Hilton and re-booked Hyatt for lower cost and better location. Loyalty has its limits.

kamchatsky Mar 14, 2013 6:01 am

Originally Posted by whimike (Post 20412222)

Living in sub-tropical Okinawa is no comparison and shouldn't be used as a reason not to visit the Maldives.

Well it is up to keirnna to decide rather than us. I know a lot of people who hate going to tropical islands.

I am sure Maldives is nice, but I wonder why Conrad Maldives is raved with such high regard here?! I mean you still have to pay lot of money for upgrade to OWB, food/drinks, seaplane transfers and activities. Also you cannot go anywhere else.

For me French Polynesia is closer, and I loved Hilton Moorea, and you can actually get out of the resort and eat at other local restaurants, visit villages etc. Seems much more culturally stimulating. I cannot imagine getting this experience in Conrad Maldives.

Even with Hilton Bora Bora Nui (most likely going next year), at least you can go to Bora Bora main island and do something, eat at different restaurants etc.

OT: I would like to go to Okinawa and Ishigaki one day. It seems to be a bit different from others.

The_Wrath_of_Khan Mar 14, 2013 6:58 am

Originally Posted by edison (Post 20417484)
Well it is up to keirnna to decide rather than us. I know a lot of people who hate going to tropical islands.

I am sure Maldives is nice, but I wonder why Conrad Maldives is raved with such high regard here?! I mean you still have to pay lot of money for upgrade to OWB, food/drinks, seaplane transfers and activities. Also you cannot go anywhere else.

For me French Polynesia is closer, and I loved Hilton Moorea, and you can actually get out of the resort and eat at other local restaurants, visit villages etc. Seems much more culturally stimulating. I cannot imagine getting this experience in Conrad Maldives.

Even with Hilton Bora Bora Nui (most likely going next year), at least you can go to Bora Bora main island and do something, eat at different restaurants etc.

OT: I would like to go to Okinawa and Ishigaki one day. It seems to be a bit different from others.

If you ever do come get in touch!

jerry305 Mar 14, 2013 1:56 pm

I'm re-posting a previous post. Maybe, just maybe, this thread will get back on track.:D

Originally Posted by jerry305 (Post 20297771)

sharklover Mar 14, 2013 3:49 pm

Next year

I think many hotels do not have rates loaded for next year or at least more than 1 year from now. I tried to book Conrad Koh Samui and nothing loaded the whole of next year.