Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
I just finished another 4 nights there and I can't see how anyone can say they were relegated to the Lounge for Breakfast.

I am a Diamond and by my own choice , myself and friends ate in the Lounge 3 out of the 4 days. In fact the last 3 days.

I can't imagine what is missing in the Lounge. There were some growing pains but now the Lounge is certainly one of the best in all Hiltons for breakfast at this time.

Also the night time offering have greatly improved and under Lilly , probably will continue to improve.

To me there is no comparison between Doubletree and Hilton and for the small amount of money and points difference, you get so much more at the Hilton.

The caveat to that is you have to be at least Gold!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by kapkap46
I can't imagine what is missing in the Lounge. There were some growing pains but now the Lounge is certainly one of the best in all Hiltons for breakfast at this time.

Also the night time offering have greatly improved and under Lilly , probably will continue to improve.
This is encouraging because the lounge food was always running out and/or cold when I stayed for several days in early January. When I visited this summer, I was asked to have breakfast in the restaurant, which was fantastic. The hotel was so empty then that they didn't offer breakfast in the lounge.

Lilly is a doll and is almost reason enough to stay here again. Just prefer the location of the Conrad.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:29 am

If Lilly is back in the lounge, I'd trust everything to be up to par. She really takes hospitality to heart.
However hasn't she been promoted and the lounge manager position taken up by someone else?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: QF SG
I stayed for 6 nights in early November. Lilly was not in the lounge however food was plentiful in the evening. Breakfast was in the lounge only for Diamonds.

Overall I was disappointed with the Lounge. The soft drink / soda in the fridge was generally warm and the beer in the evenings was Chang! Having stayed at both, next time I will go back to the Doubletree.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:31 pm

I am not sure what Lilly's title is but I believe she is working directly with the GM and according to him Lilly is responsible for the changes in the Lounge.

To each their own but IMHO there is no Lounge in the DT and the breakfast is not even close to Hilton in Lounge or Scalini.

Not only are the offerings plentiful and varied at night , they were still being brought out past the 8pm time.

Lounge was quite busy as was the Hotel.

For me the Lounge and Breakfast makes it a no brainer for me to choose Hilton over the DT when using C+P. IMHO the rooms are not even in the same category with all the Hilton rooms being far superior to DT and if you are GOLD or higher , you stand a fair chance of being upgraded in which case the rooms are some of the best in the entire Hilton Chain.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: QF SG
To each their own but IMHO there is no Lounge in the DT and the breakfast is not even close to Hilton in Lounge or Scalini.
Whereas I MUCH preferred the DT breakfast to the Hilton lounge breakfast.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:29 pm

Ok, so I've read all the Hhonors properties in Bangkok threads, and everybody seems to have their favorite when it comes to food offerings, and there are a lot of conflicting reports, but no one ever gives details. Let's see some pictures or name some dishes here...this is flyertalk, there is no such thing as too much detail!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:16 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
When we stayed there just over a month ago a guy called Prem was in charge of the lounge, it was actually his second day in his new job. We talked to him for quiet a while. A very nice guy!
The food offerings in the evening were very dissapointing though, and the lounge breakfast was the worst that we had seen in a long time. With so many hotels to choose from in Bangkok we wouldn't return there.
I read good things about that 'Lilly' but we never saw her, it seems that she has now returned to the Lounge then...??
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: AC, UA, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG, Hyatt
Just finishing a week long stay at this hotel and overall we had a very good experience. I'm HH Gold and received lounge access. Breakfast at the lounge was more than satisfactory, with cooked to order eggs / omelettes, good selection of fruits and cereals and oriental hot breakfast items. The only underwhelming section was in fresh rolls and cold cuts for those who prefer a European style - the buns were awful and the cold cuts were cheap mortadella and some tasteless cheese. Nice expresso DIY machine.

The afternoon tea was OK, some small slices of bread with toppings, and some small squares of cake. The evening session was very popular, with all tables occupied many nights. The hot snack items were OK to go with a drink - meatballs, spring rolls, quiche, etc. The wine was quite drinkable, and given the high price of wine in many Asian countries this was easily the best benefit of the lounge.

We found the standard room very comfortable and did not lack for anything. Would go back anytime - but first we are moving to try a few days at the Conrad.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Delectatio
When we stayed there just over a month ago a guy called Prem was in charge of the lounge, it was actually his second day in his new job. We talked to him for quiet a while. A very nice guy!
The food offerings in the evening were very dissapointing though, and the lounge breakfast was the worst that we had seen in a long time. With so many hotels to choose from in Bangkok we wouldn't return there.
I read good things about that 'Lilly' but we never saw her, it seems that she has now returned to the Lounge then...??
I am trying to figure out what your Agenda is? 2 months ago you posted you would never return and you are still posting about ancient history. Who cares . We have people who have stayed their recently and certainly their perceptions are much more important then your stay months ago.

You were disappointed and we all understand that you did not get what you think you deserved. In fact as a Gold you deserve very little and any room upgrades are based on occupancy and length of stay. And by the way the standard room is so far superior to the 1 upgrade room from standard at the Conrad that they are not even in the same ballpark.

I have stayed their 4 times in the last 4 months and have seen continued improvement in both Lounge Breakfast and the offerings at night.

It is true the cold cuts and cheese at breakfast could be improved. But 3 days ago they had 6 different loafs of bread to slice for toast etc. How many choices are needed?

IMHO not many improvements to be made at breakfast but always a few things that could be better. Night time snacks don't even begin to resemble what they were 2 months ago. Much more varied and in no hurry to take things away at 8pm.

And frankly if you use C&P you have so much money left over compared to the Conrad that you can go to the best Steak House in Bangkok.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:07 am

I am trying to figure out what your Agenda is? 2 months ago you posted you would never return and you are still posting about ancient history. Who cares . We have people who have stayed their recently and certainly their perceptions are much more important then your stay months ago.

You were disappointed and we all understand that you did not get what you think you deserved. In fact as a Gold you deserve very little and any room upgrades are based on occupancy and length of stay. And by the way the standard room is so far superior to the 1 upgrade room from standard at the Conrad that they are not even in the same ballpark.

I have stayed their 4 times in the last 4 months and have seen continued improvement in both Lounge Breakfast and the offerings at night.

It is true the cold cuts and cheese at breakfast could be improved. But 3 days ago they had 6 different loafs of bread to slice for toast etc. How many choices are needed?

IMHO not many improvements to be made at breakfast but always a few things that could be better. Night time snacks don't even begin to resemble what they were 2 months ago. Much more varied and in no hurry to take things away at 8pm.

And frankly if you use C&P you have so much money left over compared to the Conrad that you can go to the best Steak House in Bangkok.
First of all, I wouldn't call 6 weeks ago 'ancient history'...

Second I would think that people can decide for themselves if they 'care' about my opinion or not...

Then, I was just surprised to read that 'Lilly' was in charge of the lounge again as I know her name from older reviews so it is not strange to comment on that...

When it comes to receiving upgrades as Gold, I still don't find it unreasonable to 'expect' them, especially in hotels were it seems 'pretty standard' to give them.

And last... If you think that the breakfast has improved a lot, good for you and the future guests, but my personal experience (from ancient history - remember) was not good at all...
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:10 am

Forgot to mention that we booked and payed for an executive room, NO C&P at all...
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Delectatio
Forgot to mention that we booked and payed for an executive room, NO C&P at all...
Then I can't see what you were expecting. They are not going to give a Suite to a Gold and neither are any of the other properties. Gold is nothing they give it to CC holders who might stay 1 night a year.

Even as a Diamond I don't get offered a Suite more then 1/2 the time and frankly at this Hotel the Executive rooms are so nice that I don't care about a Suite. Unlike the Conrad where the standard room compares to a Holiday Inn and a pretty dated one at that. So yes there if you want a nice room , you better pay for it.

To be precise it is over 7 weeks which as anyone knows is a lifetime in possible changes.

Since people after you seem to be quite happy , I would guess your complaints have been fixed to a large extent.

And making comparisons to Non Hilton properties makes no sense at all. Yes there are some bargains to be had especially when occupancy is low , by staying at Non Hilton properties.

There are other reasons to choose Hilton like earning status and points etc. Your comparison of $125 ++ per night at a Non Hilton would not be interesting to me because I like the $50 I paid with C+P.

Points are irrelevant to me since I have 2 million (most earned as a Diamond) , earned the hard way not by getting a Branded CC Gold and expecting I would be treated like a Diamond.

Lots of things I hate about Hilton but they treat me a lot better overseas at least then UA where I am a 1K (highest).

Last edited by kapkap46; Dec 5, 2014 at 2:15 pm
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
They are not going to give a Suite to a Gold and neither are any of the other properties. Gold is nothing they give it to CC holders who might stay 1 night a year.
I've stayed at this hotel 10 times (+/-) this year and, as Gold, have never been upgraded higher than an Exec level room. And this with knowing the lounge staff pretty well.

There's been a bunch of changeover in the lounge in recent months and more since my last stay in October. I'll be back shortly and will be interested to see what the changes are in staff and food. I was not impressed with cocktail hour snacks a few months back.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:05 am

I never asked them for (or expected) a suite upgrade.
But if golds in this hotel get usually upgraded to an executive room including lounge access and breakfast (when they book the cheapest room in the hotel) I still don' t find it unreasonable to get some sort of recognition of my Gold status when I book and pay for an executive room in the first place (I actually booked this room to get guaranteed lounge access). A spontanuous upgrade to an executive 'plus' room would have been nice.
BTW with 80-120 hotel nights every year (not all Hilton) I hardly belong to the '1 night a year' hotel guest...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.