Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
And there is no need to be at the airport 90 minutes before the fligt in times like this in Thailand. Check the minimum check-in time and add 15-20 min to that + 30 min for the taxi - then you should still be safe.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK AAR
And there is no need to be at the airport 90 minutes before the fligt in times like this in Thailand. Check the minimum check-in time and add 15-20 min to that + 30 min for the taxi - then you should still be safe.
Given the OP also has to clear passport control if flying Cathay- I don't think necessarily 90 minutes is too much in advance.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Traffic is an unknown in BKK at anytime of the day. As long as you can hit the highway quickly 45 minutes should be fine. I came back last Saturday and the airport was really quiet. It took around 45 from check in to clearing security however this again in Thailand so personally I would leave an hour to the airport and one an a half for check in. If it's quick enjoy the lounge longer.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
I haven't seen this mentioned here.

What has been your experience with getting to the airport and checking in for flights?

We are flying out on Cathay at 8:20 in the morning. Guessing 90 minutes needed at the airport and 45 minutes to get there from hotel.

What have you done? How did you get there, bus, train, or taxi?

Just making sure I allow enough time. Probably due to the early departure breakfast is not going to be a factor in my hotel choice between the DT or HH. Knowing that you weren't going to eat breakfast would you pay the higher points and dollars for the HH or opt for the DT?

Taxi using tollway is easy and cheap by European/USA standards. Just stop passing taxi and meter rate+tolls is in order of 500Baht and takes 45miniutes to the airport.

Of more critical importance is whether you are flying coach or business/first class. If coach, you need really allow at least 120minutes after completing your checkin/baggage drop !

It used to take 90-120minutes to get through passport/visa departure check and then x-ray machines, but airlines can purchase Business Fast Path vouchers (eg KLM do) and then takes just 15 minutes.
The newer 2-floor coach passport/xray process is better, but can still take upto an hour, then you still need get to gates, which can take another 20minutes.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:14 am

IMO, it doesn't take that long to get to BKK, but it can. It probably won't be slow down Sukhumvit to Ploenchit & the Tollway. It's only 2 km or so & it's 6am. Once on the tollway it'll be about 20 mins. Your fare should be around 200 + 75 in tolls. I've never taken even 45 mins to get to my gate from check in and that was during a planned Customs labor slowdown. Usually, it's quick and easy, like 15 mins. Since you're getting on a long haul flight, you've got to plan for the worst, so I'd leave at 6am. I've flown in and out of BKK around 80X and I usually stay around Sukhumvit.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Stayed at this hotel 1 night after DoubleTree and review written

Let me say it is night and day difference between these 2 Hotels. Yes there is a price difference but on many nights the difference can be quite small .

First of all the Room is the size you would expect in this level Hotel. Beautifully outfitted with large work desk, high end ergonomic chair and all sorts of outlets and lights.

Very comfortable easy chair and lots of walking room. Big enclosed closets, with everything you would expect. Beautiful bathroom with deep soaking Tub as well as Rain Shower etc.

I am on the Executive Level floor so toilet is the Japanese style in an enclosed room. Great shaving mirror and lots of soaps etc. Bed and pillows are wonderful. I cannot think of a negative thing to say about the room except the TV channels are pretty limited even compared to The Millennium.

Breakfast is fabulous , one of the best I have ever seen with the exception of bread and croissant selection could be better and especially the Croissants could be fresh and hot.

But I am really looking for negatives because this Buffett is simply wonderful.

From Salmon to Duck, carved pork , roast etc . Multiple cheeses. Freshly cooked bacon not warmed over 10 times . Omlette the way I ordered it. I don't usually eat Asian at breakfast but I would have to say some of the things looked so good I will try them in the future.

Juices I have never seen offered such as Honey Dew and Watermelon and the setting is in the Scalini Restaurant on the 2nd Floor which is High End decorated and very comfortable.

Staff in the entire Hotel are gracious and welcoming and especially the staff in the Executive Lounge. This Lounge is large and comfortable . It was a Saturday night and occupancy is low so I was not impressed with the snacks offered but this is a minor criticism in what is overall a Fabulous Hotel
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Jz completed a one night stay here over the weekend, booked on points+cash, no upgrades available- occupancy was only 70%, found the lounge offerings a bit scant compared to the conrad and also something about the layout of the seating is a bit not so warm! Breakfast was sufficient, though found the "fresh" juices from the can..in terms of location is next to the emporium mall and next to the BTS Phrom Phong- the connection to the BTS from Emporium is temporarily closed till end of the year..
Had dinner at Scalini and found it to be ok- nothing really spectacular..
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ashkale
.in terms of location is next to the emporium mall and next to the BTS Phrom Phong- the connection to the BTS from Emporium is temporarily closed till end of the year..
THis is unfortunate as it's a great way to get into the BTS station with bags wihtout lugging them up stairs.

I had noticed there was some ongoing work within Emporium but the entrance/exit looked to be untouched... guess that's changed.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ashkale
Jz completed a one night stay here over the weekend, booked on points+cash, no upgrades available- occupancy was only 70%, found the lounge offerings a bit scant compared to the conrad and also something about the layout of the seating is a bit not so warm! Breakfast was sufficient, though found the "fresh" juices from the can.
I was here Saturday and Sunday nights on C+P. Was upgraded to Executive room.

I agree the lounge does not compare to the Conrad, both physically and in terms of food. But while the breakfast offerings are somewhat limited, the quality (apart from the juices) is very high, and I had no problem putting together a really excellent breakfast. Lounge staff was great.

Overall I enjoyed my stay. Physically, this is probably the nicest Hilton I've ever stayed in. Staff is very helpful and friendly. I did encounter a couple of issues which suggest insufficient training, but everything was satisfactorily resolved.

I would stay here again. In fact, I would choose this property over the Conrad based on location and a less formal feeling.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I personally don't care for the Hilton Sukhumvit due to the customer service and response there. I would avoid it on any future visit and stay at the Conrad or the Millinieum.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I was here Saturday and Sunday nights on C+P. Was upgraded to Executive room.

I agree the lounge does not compare to the Conrad, both physically and in terms of food. But while the breakfast offerings are somewhat limited, the quality (apart from the juices) is very high, and I had no problem putting together a really excellent breakfast. Lounge staff was great.

Overall I enjoyed my stay. Physically, this is probably the nicest Hilton I've ever stayed in. Staff is very helpful and friendly. I did encounter a couple of issues which suggest insufficient training, but everything was satisfactorily resolved.

I would stay here again. In fact, I would choose this property over the Conrad based on location and a less formal feeling.
I ate breakfast in the restaurant and there were certainly no canned juices there. Can't imagine the lounge could offer anything close to downstairs.

Would be nice if someone criticizes the staff as the previous poster , if he would give more information. Cannot imagine this staff not doing everything to make a guest happy.

Millenium is dated and a terrible location except for tourists using river boats to the Palace etc.

Conrad is way too Stuffy for me!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by kapkap46
Cannot imagine this staff not doing everything to make a guest happy.
+1
I find the staff here more 'human' and genuine than at the Conrad and Millenium, not to mention eager to do the right thing. Service recovery has been excellent for me, including a large cake to apologize for a slow shower drain

The Conrad is a solid and polished operation, but I miss the edge it had when it opened a decade ago, when its staff was empowered and inclined to do their best.

From the various comments it appears clear that these hotels appeal to different crowds, which is just as well. Hilton has gone from 1 to 4 Bangkok properties in a decade, giving a range of options not available in many other cities. I use all of them, and only wish their counterparts in other continents were as good.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kapkap46
Cannot imagine this staff not doing everything to make a guest happy.
Originally Posted by monahos
+1
Service recovery has been excellent for me, including a large cake to apologize for a slow shower drain
Agree 100%. There was a problem with my AC and they moved me to a suite. They must have also notated my record, because the EL attendant apologized to me the next morning. I also received a note and gift from the manager the following day.

I was really impressed by their dedication to making things right. Honestly, they went a bit overboard - I really wasn't that upset about it
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Just returned from an 8 night stay as HHG. What a great hotel. nice modern interior and some of the friendliest staff which I have met. Booked a cash+points rate and was upgraded to a DLX Plus with Executive Lounge facilities. The lounge is superb and run by a great Manager (Khun Lilly) who is very friendly and professional. he spread is good with a choice of four hot appetizers during cocktail hour (6-8 but runs over) and many other selections such as crab salad, salami, cheese, nibbles and deserts. Free pour drinks which include some nice wines (choice of 2 red+2 white), sparkling, spirits and beers. During he day there are also snacks and soft drink, tea and coffee available. For those who partake a smoking area is located on the balcony. Breakfast was taken in the main restaurant and was superb with a variety of dishes from Dim Dum to Eggs Benedict and all the other selections one could want.

Room is very nicely appointed and very functionable. Lilly also showed us one of the suites which if available would be a great choice even for a Gold with upgrade with cash option. Only slight negative was that the aircon did not chill the room enough.

Pool is small but we did not have any problems. Water was warm and service in the pool area was good. There are two Gazebos to shelter from the sun.

Hotel location is just over the road from the Emporium shopping center and a 5 minute walk to the skytrain so again excellent.

I would thoroughly recommend the hotel to anyone wanting to be in the Sukhumvit area.
Lilly is no longer in the lounge and has moved into a management position.

Also the option of having breakfast in the lounge OR the restaurant has been axed; breakfast is now only available in the lounge barring an additional charge of 400++ THB per guest to eat downstairs.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: QF SG
Thanks for the update dsquared37. What's your HH status? I'm wondering if there is any difference in breakfast choices for Diamond (i.e. lounge v restaurant).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.