Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Q4 Promo - 1000 Points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by stifle
It is easy to test as follows: Make booking, arrive and give different FF number to FDC, and then see where the miles go.

Super! ^ Please let us know how your experiment goes.
Screen prints of your hhonors account (- your personal info) with your original FF partner selection and then whats listed on your efolio (showing your different FF number ---[the one you gave them upon check in] would be pretty good proof).

However, I think you are taking a chance of the miles going to the one listed on your hhonors account as preferred. But, if you don't mind experimenting, it's great.

Truly, points are posted to your account based on what's in your hhonors account at midnight the day of checkout. [earning style & preferred FF partner selected]

I will def. be waiting for you to post your outcome, if you are going to test this.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Originally Posted by stifle
I'm not aware of any promo for VA (V Australia). Only VS (Virgin Atlantic).
I am.

This one
https://hiltonhhonors.com/ProcessLan...9Y7m9W+RoJcLhA

earns 3000 VA Velocity points per Hilton stay until 31 October.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by shoreline

The other point that many people here do not seem to understand, is how and when those 2 items need to be set. (as quoted above in post #68). A hotel clerk has no ability to change your hhonors account info. for FF# (unless they call hhonors, in which case, is still suppose to take your permission to change). and.....................the fact that you have up to midnight the day of check out (again, the quote from hhonors T&C in post #68 & the link provided for you to read for yourself).
If you're suggesting that a hotel clerk has no power to chang your FF# without calling HHonors this is clearly wrong. On check in they saw my reservation was linked to another FF programme and changed it to the Virgin one. I've often changed FF choices at check in.

We're going over the same ground again but you can change your earning style up to midnight but not the airline FF programme. I doubt testing this, proving scans as evidence etc will make any difference to your fixed opinion but as suggested this is simple to test and you're in a minority of one in how the FF details are linked to a booking. For anyone else, if Virgin Atlantic weren't your chosen FF scheme at booking ask the staff to change it at check in. Simple...
Old Oct 13, 2012, 6:22 pm

Q4 Weak Promotion

For the last few years I've used this site to monitor HHonor promotions and I thank all for your research as I've found it very useful but never registered or posted until now.

I agree this current promotion is weak from an end-user's perspective but let's face it, we knew this was coming. All recent additional point promotions were designed to smooth over the fact our point were devalued. Make us all fell like we're getting more when in fact we lost value (or HHonors is saving money). Good business on their part if sales $ loss is less than money saved. As well, the name of the game in sales is "incremental" or "conversion" business. Think of credit card offers. Bottom line is you need to be a conversion to get good promotions.

I like others am not bothered by their strategy and realize that my relationship with HHonors as they've chosen this path and taught us to play promotion games. I've taken the Elite status (or whatever they call it) offer from Marriott and plan to take advantage of their promotions for the next quarter. After all, I stayed at my first Marriott in 8 years and I kind of liked the change....call it a little spice in my life.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL PM & Kryptonium, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
It's Marriott for me for the 4th quarter.

I wonder if they see (or care) about all the negative comments on this week promo.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Geez, what a lame promo.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
I should expand on that. Last year in the 3 month long Q4 promo I earned 3 free nights. This year's 2 month promo gives me so little that I can't be bothered counting it up.

This year I've had to stay at Hyatts a couple of times. They're not so bad. They may want to earm my business more than Hilton wants to keep it. Hilton rep, if you're out there, please tell the powers that be that some Diamond in NC is hoping to see a massively less discouraging promo for Q1 of 2013.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by itraveltoomuch
For the last few years I've used this site to monitor HHonor promotions and I thank all for your research as I've found it very useful but never registered or posted until now.

I agree this current promotion is weak from an end-user's perspective but let's face it, we knew this was coming. All recent additional point promotions were designed to smooth over the fact our point were devalued. Make us all fell like we're getting more when in fact we lost value (or HHonors is saving money). Good business on their part if sales $ loss is less than money saved. As well, the name of the game in sales is "incremental" or "conversion" business. Think of credit card offers. Bottom line is you need to be a conversion to get good promotions.

I like others am not bothered by their strategy and realize that my relationship with HHonors as they've chosen this path and taught us to play promotion games. I've taken the Elite status (or whatever they call it) offer from Marriott and plan to take advantage of their promotions for the next quarter. After all, I stayed at my first Marriott in 8 years and I kind of liked the change....call it a little spice in my life.
Well, it's trying to get converts based no weekend (generally, non-business) travel.

It fails to offer a meaningful bonus, so for this it is ineffective.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by bmifly
If you're suggesting that a hotel clerk has no power to chang your FF# without calling HHonors this is clearly wrong. On check in they saw my reservation was linked to another FF programme and changed it to the Virgin one. I've often changed FF choices at check in.

I doubt testing this, proving scans as evidence etc will make any difference to your fixed opinion but as suggested this is simple to test and you're in a minority of one in how the FF details are linked to a booking. For anyone else, if Virgin Atlantic weren't your chosen FF scheme at booking ask the staff to change it at check in. Simple...

Testing this is a great idea.

Since I am in the minority here (as you state), I plan to test this myself within the next week.

I will def. report back on what happens and if anyone else here test this, if they can report what happens that would be great as well.

I do not believe the hotel can change any information on your hhonors account for you without calling hhonors. And your points and miles are based on the information and how you have your hhonors account number set at midnight the day of checkout.

This is gonna be a great test.^^
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by HeliosUK
Hello people...

I too felt compelled to register to FlyerTalk having been a long time reader and weasler of info on upcoming promotions, then running to the hills with the info. Like many before me, I'm not too pleased...!

I suffered in Q3 for Hilton because I stayed in London hotels which all opted out because of the Olympics, although it was an average promotion anyway. Now this comes along - sod it Hilton, I can't be bothered anymore! 40 nights cancelled now that I'm matched to Diamond with Marriott, and have thoroughly enjoyed my 2 stays so far. Having spent anything between 50 and 200 nights with Hilton the past few years, I would happily spend them with Marriott.

As for a couple of people talking about 'loyalty' to hotels and the 'loyalty' that comes back from them - we are all, simply put, a wholly disloyal bunch (with respect to hotels!). Those of us who have to stay away a lot want to gather as many perks as possible in order to be compensated for this - if this means ditching a chain because it no longer shows loyalty for the money that I (my company) pays, then it's simply a 15 minute job to swing the lot over elsewhere... my loyalty is with myself and my perks, not with the familiar or the nostalgic.

Au revoir, HHonors Q4
Bonjour Marriott

WoW! This promo chat is really bringing some new road travellers out~^

Welcome to FT. Wish it could have been on a happier ocassion or with happier news.

But, nonetheless, we sure hope you stick around. Again, Welcome.^
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:21 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I could deal with the 1000 points per day since most of my Hilton stay lately is at Hampton Inn's in small towns where there is no starwood and it could be pretty close (or better) than the double points promotion. What irritates me is the lack of a promotion in October though since I have a couple nights booked, but at least SPG is making up for it where the bulk of my nights are.

Does anyone think they are doing this to attract infrequent holiday travelers that don't know how much double/triple points actually is? If I didn't stay in hotels more than I stay at home I might think 1000 points a night sounds like a lot.

Hopefully this gets better in Q1 when I will up my stays to requalify for Diamond. I don't want to have to start churning CC's just to get a meaningful amount of HH points.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4mil miles, Hilton Gold
It's the season of change

I have been happy with my Hilton experience and did not expect to ever change loyalties. I like the perks I get from being a Gold member. Don't stay in hotels a whole lot like some of you guys, only about 25 night a year. That's enough to get Hilton Gold.

The current Marriott Q4 promotion is so much better than the Hilton one that I have decided to give my business to Marriott for a few month. Already cancelled a Hilton reservation and booked Marriott instead. Two stays next week and then a reward night in India.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4mil miles, Hilton Gold
And if it wasn't for FT I would have not found out about the Marriott promotion.

Thank you!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Yawn...
Old Oct 14, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents, Hertz 5*, SW A-list Prefered/Companion, *wood Gold
Sorry Hilton... I am moving my 4th Qtr stays to Hyatt.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.