Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

A Diamond can't even get a robe at Hiltons?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques

As someone who is top elite in several hotel chains, there are a certain few things I take for granted. I'll get at least a one level upgrade, free internet, club access (whether it's worth it or not), decent amenities and one thing we don't talk about often, a nice robe or two in the room. I like a robe for when I wake up early and want to sit down and do some work, but its too early to get dressed. Sometimes the room is a bit too cool to sit around nude in.

We all know that Hilton has been dumbing down the Diamond experience lately and have talked endlessly about the lack of suite upgrades. Now I'm at the Hilton CDG and not only did I not get a suite, the room I'm in doesn't even have a robe, nor slippers. This is a first for me in a very long time, at least when staying in top chains. Even Holiday Inn's give their Platinum members an Executive upgrade to a room with robes and slippers. And of course Starwood, Intercontinental, Marriott, etc., all have robes in their Club, Suite or Executive rooms. Has anyone else noticed this at other Hiltons? My next Hilton is the FCO airport hotel so I'll see what I get there.

Oh, and by the way, this room doesn't even have complimentary water bottles, but that's a rant for another time.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Did you ask for a robe? Did you ask for water?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Materdei
Did you ask for a robe? Did you ask for water?
No, I didn't. Never had to in the past.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Oddly Hilton isn't my main hotel chain but when I do check in I inquire about robes as I too like to have for late at night or early morning as I sleep with the AC on Arctic Circle as it helps with my breathing (not snore my companion to death). It seems that doing so actually has led to some upgrades. I book via Hotels.com for Hilton properties which seems to get the standard less luxurious of the standard rooms but when I politely ask about robes I have been getting some really nice room.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Oddly Hilton isn't my main hotel chain but when I do check in I inquire about robes as I too like to have for late at night or early morning as I sleep with the AC on Arctic Circle as it helps with my breathing (not snore my companion to death). It seems that doing so actually has led to some upgrades. I book via Hotels.com for Hilton properties which seems to get the standard less luxurious of the standard rooms but when I politely ask about robes I have been getting some really nice room.
Now that's interesting Yoshi. I've never heard that tip before.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:00 pm

FWIW I'm with the OP.

The OP never said the lack of these amenities was a 'horror' or anything overly dramatic. Just that, given his highest status, he was used to receiving the amenities described. There are plenty of posts on FT of people expecting more than they deserve, or being overly upset on missing things they are entitled to, but this post does not fall into this category.

While I enjoy bashing an OP for DYKWIA behavior as much as the next guy, this just isn't the case here.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:33 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

Wow — clean-up in this thread was rather easy. All I had to do was — with few exceptions — delete everything that was posted.

How about we start over again — this time, without the attitudes?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Hilton HHonors forum
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:40 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
As someone who is top elite in several hotel chains, there are a certain few things I take for granted. I'll get at least a one level upgrade, free internet, club access (whether it's worth it or not), decent amenities and one thing we don't talk about often, a nice robe or two in the room. I like a robe for when I wake up early and want to sit down and do some work, but its too early to get dressed. Sometimes the room is a bit too cool to sit around nude in.

We all know that Hilton has been dumbing down the Diamond experience lately and have talked endlessly about the lack of suite upgrades. Now I'm at the Hilton CDG and not only did I not get a suite, the room I'm in doesn't even have a robe, nor slippers. This is a first for me in a very long time, at least when staying in top chains. Even Holiday Inn's give their Platinum members an Executive upgrade to a room with robes and slippers. And of course Starwood, Intercontinental, Marriott, etc., all have robes in their Club, Suite or Executive rooms. Has anyone else noticed this at other Hiltons? My next Hilton is the FCO airport hotel so I'll see what I get there.

Oh, and by the way, this room doesn't even have complimentary water bottles, but that's a rant for another time.
I'm in agreement with you, a room stocked with robes and slippers denotes more luxury accommodations, and I'd be similarly disappointed given your set of circumstances. According to the website, the Executive rooms at the CDG HH have robes - so it would seem that not only did your Diamond status not get you a suite upgrade, it didn't even get you upgraded one level to the Executive rooms. I'd be really peeved in your shoes.

Regarding your next stop, there were robes and slippers in the Executive room that I had at the FCO Hilton a few months ago. And according to its website Executive rooms have bathrobes, and the King Executive Room Plus has fluffy bathrobes. So even if you strike out again and fail to get upgraded to a suite, at the very least you'll hopefully have a robe in Rome. (I really can't imagine that a Diamond wouldn't atleast get an Executive room at the FCO HH - for your sake I hope I'm not proved wrong!) Good luck and happy traveling.

Last edited by sk3; Jul 4, 2012 at 12:50 am Reason: grammar and added comentary
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:51 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
We all know that Hilton has been dumbing down the Diamond experience lately and have talked endlessly about the lack of suite upgrades.
+1 - Most of my Hilton stays are in the western states and I've never been upgraded to a suite. Only get crappy executive floor.

As someone who is top elite in several hotel chains, there are a certain few things I take for granted. I'll get at least a one level upgrade, free internet, club access (whether it's worth it or not), decent amenities and one thing we don't talk about often, a nice robe or two in the room. I like a robe for when I wake up early and want to sit down and do some work, but its too early to get dressed.
Can't say that I recall my Hilton rooms having robes or not. I know most Crowne Plazas I've stayed in have them. I agree it's nice to have a robe to wear before getting ready in the morning or in the evening after a work out.

Sometimes the room is a bit too cool to sit around nude in.
I need to remember to put a towel on the chairs.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sk3
so it would seem that not only did your Diamond status not get you a suite upgrade, it didn't even get you upgraded one level to the Executive rooms. I'd be really peeved in your shoes.
You know I'm not sure what kind of room they gave me. It seemed sizable but maybe it wasn't an Exec? If that's the case, then yes I should be complaining about no upgrade rather than no robe or water. I'm not familiar enough with this hotel to know if my room was an exec or not. It was on the 7th floor if that matters.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:25 am
sk3
Suspended

You know I'm not sure what kind of room they gave me. It seemed sizable but maybe it wasn't an Exec? If that's the case, then yes I should be complaining about no upgrade rather than no robe or water. I'm not familiar enough with this hotel to know if my room was an exec or not. It was on the 7th floor if that matters.
I've never stayed there but I was considering it - I only know what I see on the website that I linked above. It says both their standard rooms and regular Exec rooms are 355 sq ft, and their Exec Plus is 592 sq ft.

Out of curiosity I just called the property and asked the operator if their Executive rooms were all on one floor or if they were scattered throughout the hotel. She said they were on the 8th floor, but that some were on the 7th. Perhaps the front desk erred and assigned you a non-Executive 7th floor room when they thought they were assigning you an Executive 7th floor room? You could always call down to the front desk and just ask if you're in an Exec room or not. And if not, and if you're staying another night, you could then hopefully get yourself reassigned to something better. But if you ARE in an Exec room, in your shoes I would most likely complain to someone onsite that I was disappointed to learn that the website for the CDG Hilton falsely advertises amenities that are not made available in reality. But that's me.

Edited to add:

As for as I can see on the CDG HH's website, the only difference in amenities between the standard room and the Exec room, is - you guessed it - the bathrobe.

Last edited by sk3; Jul 4, 2012 at 1:31 am
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:32 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
I always require a robe (or 2) plus slippers. Period. If they are missing I have always been given them upon request, even when staying in hotel where I have no status. I realise that we shouldn't have to ask, but easy enough to remedy IMHO. Never had this problem at a Hilton IIRC.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:33 am
sk3
Suspended

Or.... maybe you are in an Exec room and in this one instance housecleaning erred and failed to put a robe in there?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:46 am

Programs: LH HON->SEN, BA GGL+CCR->Gold, HH D, Hertz PC
Now I'm at the Hilton CDG and not only did I not get a suite, the room I'm in doesn't even have a robe, nor slippers. This is a first for me in a very long time,
Just to compare with my experience.

Suite? Only once at Paddington (nice tower suite) after a bunch of issues.
Nice rooms? Sometimes.
Exec Floor? Sometimes.
Exec Lounge: Not at all properties (i.e. not at Hilton Bellevue, WA)
Robe/Slippers: ony when in Exec Floor rooms
Welcome letter etc: 20-30% yes

I learned that bottles of water is not a written benefit. Some do, some do not.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've stayed there many times. It sounds like you didn't get any upgrade for sure. I don't remember any Exec rooms being on any floor except the lounge floor. At the same time there was always robes/slippers in the bathroom and complimentary Evian on the tea tray. For these reasons I think its safe to conclude you weren't upgrade.

Of course the hotel might be sold out and naturally there is no "right" to an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.