Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Airport {US-GA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Airport {US-GA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
I didn't see an exec lounge, but could be wrong, As Diamond "upgraded" to top floor, not sure what I really got.
Good comp bfast, and good value for money evening buffet meal. Pool was not nice though.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
The "Lobby Lounge" mentioned on the hotel's home page is the bar, there is no Exec. Lounge.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:27 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I am at this property as we speak and have to say that while it may be fine for a quick and cheap overnight stay between flights, it is otherwise a dog of a property. The staff here however are all excellent and friendly which helps to lessen the pain of some of the shortcomings of the physical plant.

This is my second stay here in recent times, and both times I have been given rooms on the 3rd floor (out of 7 despite a high floor request) that smell like someone who hasn't showered in months previously stayed in them.

I've booked a King Corner Room both times, so cannot comment on a standard room. Interestingly enough on this stay, I was downgraded to a standard King before arrival, but a quick call got me back into the reserved room type.

Diamonds are given vouchers for a full breakfast buffet, two small bottles of Fiji Water, and free parking. Otherwise there are no other benefits extended (no lounge, only available upgrade is to a Corner Room, etc).

The corner room itself is large and comfortable, if a bit dated, but cleanliness and maintenance are not a forte here.

On my previous stay, the snaps holding inner part of the shower curtain were broken causing the shower to flood the bathroom. On this stay, the room had clearly been hastily cleaned as I found trash, dead bugs, and articles from previous guests (hairpins) around the bed, old soap stuck to the soap dish in the shower, and trash in the closet. Also, part of the drape is unattached and just thrown in the corner of the room (still there), holes in the wall are "patched" with tissue paper (still there), the headboard has been knocked off of the wall and is just sitting on the floor (still there), and one of the lights was burnt out (fixed). The B.O. smell is also still present, though that seems to be throughout the entire hotel.

There are also very limited outlets by the bed and the television is entirely too small for the size of the room.

I spoke with a manager earlier regarding my issues, and she offered to comp dinner for me while she had housekeeping come up and service the room. Dinner service was friendly but slow taking an hour and fifteen minutes from order to settling of the check. The food was above average for an airport hotel restaurant. I had the Ribeye Steak, which while not the highest quality meat was a definite step above the standard hotel steak and much larger than listed (menu said 12 oz, see the pic below). It comes with a side salad (they honoured a request to make mine a side Chicken Caesar Salad), mashed potatoes, and vegetables. All in all, a perfectly acceptable meal.

Unfortunately, despite the length of dinner, my room was still not serviced when I returned. To the hotel's credit, they are oversold for tonight and were working hard to make sure all of the rooms were serviced for arrival, so I know my room was probably at the bottom of the queue. The manager apologized for the delay and told me to have a few drinks at the bar on the house while I waited for them to get to my room ^.

So as noted, staff tries hard to please, but the physical state of the property is just pathetic. Defiinitely on the lower end of the Doubletree spectrum, though fine for a quick overnight (like my previous stay). It is most certainly NOT worth the 20k points/night that it will be increasing to on 1 April though

Edit: Perhaps the thread could be updated to reflect the current name: Doubletree Atlanta Airport
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by NDDomer86
I am at this property as we speak and have to say that while it may be fine for a quick and cheap overnight stay between flights, it is otherwise a dog of a property. The staff here however are all excellent and friendly which helps to lessen the pain of some of the shortcomings of the physical plant.

This is my second stay here in recent times, and both times I have been given rooms on the 3rd floor (out of 7 despite a high floor request) that smell like someone who hasn't showered in months previously stayed in them.

I've booked a King Corner Room both times, so cannot comment on a standard room. Interestingly enough on this stay, I was downgraded to a standard King before arrival, but a quick call got me back into the reserved room type.

Diamonds are given vouchers for a full breakfast buffet, two small bottles of Fiji Water, and free parking. Otherwise there are no other benefits extended (no lounge, only available upgrade is to a Corner Room, etc).

The corner room itself is large and comfortable, if a bit dated, but cleanliness and maintenance are not a forte here.

On my previous stay, the snaps holding inner part of the shower curtain were broken causing the shower to flood the bathroom. On this stay, the room had clearly been hastily cleaned as I found trash, dead bugs, and articles from previous guests (hairpins) around the bed, old soap stuck to the soap dish in the shower, and trash in the closet. Also, part of the drape is unattached and just thrown in the corner of the room (still there), holes in the wall are "patched" with tissue paper (still there), the headboard has been knocked off of the wall and is just sitting on the floor (still there), and one of the lights was burnt out (fixed). The B.O. smell is also still present, though that seems to be throughout the entire hotel.

There are also very limited outlets by the bed and the television is entirely too small for the size of the room.

I spoke with a manager earlier regarding my issues, and she offered to comp dinner for me while she had housekeeping come up and service the room. Dinner service was friendly but slow taking an hour and fifteen minutes from order to settling of the check. The food was above average for an airport hotel restaurant. I had the Ribeye Steak, which while not the highest quality meat was a definite step above the standard hotel steak and much larger than listed (menu said 12 oz, see the pic below). It comes with a side salad (they honoured a request to make mine a side Chicken Caesar Salad), mashed potatoes, and vegetables. All in all, a perfectly acceptable meal.

Unfortunately, despite the length of dinner, my room was still not serviced when I returned. To the hotel's credit, they are oversold for tonight and were working hard to make sure all of the rooms were serviced for arrival, so I know my room was probably at the bottom of the queue. The manager apologized for the delay and told me to have a few drinks at the bar on the house while I waited for them to get to my room ^.

So as noted, staff tries hard to please, but the physical state of the property is just pathetic. Defiinitely on the lower end of the Doubletree spectrum, though fine for a quick overnight (like my previous stay). It is most certainly NOT worth the 20k points/night that it will be increasing to on 1 April though

Edit: Perhaps the thread could be updated to reflect the current name: Doubletree Atlanta Airport
I stay here when I find it for around $65 a night. Not sure if you have had breakfast here, but it leaves a lot to be desired.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 4:05 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
I stay here when I find it for around $65 a night. Not sure if you have had breakfast here, but it leaves a lot to be desired.
I've not tried their breakfast yet, but thanks for the heads up!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Stayed here for a quick overnight stay a few days ago.

The rooms were apparently renovated in August 2016, and whilst there's nothing wrong with them they certainly don't feel "new" - almost as if the furniture came from another hotel?

Parking is supposed to be $10, but as a diamond was free, and I think I heard them saying to same for gold to someone else checking in.

Breakfast, as was mentioned above, leaves a lot to be desired. Probably the worst breakfast I've found at a Doubletree anywhere.

For the price ($87 on an MVP rate) I wasn't overly disappointed, but with literally dozens of other options nearby I'm not sure that I'd stay here again.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I thought I had reviewed this hotel years ago, when I had an awful experience and put it on my "never again" list. But I don't see it. Anyway, I got talked into staying here on a business trip with my traveling companion who observed that it was much less expensive than the other HH properties near ATL. I told her that my experience is there's usually a reason for that; she pointed out the 2016 renovation, and shamed me into staying there. Chalk up another one for me.

I was open to this stay being better, especially when checking in. The lobby has been renovated and looks nice. The desk clerk was very cheery and gave me two cookies. Great!

Got to my room--if it has been renovated it sure didn't look it. Pretty drab. (No upgrade btw). I had some work to do, so I called room service to order some ice cream about 10 pm, and got on my laptop. When my order hadn't arrived by 10:55, and they close at 11, I called room service again--no answer. I then called the Careline--pressing either the Careline button on the phone or 0 yielded nothing but a dial tone! I tried room service again (a 4-digit number, rather than a speed dial) and got someone; when I explained that i'd been waiting an hour, he said "we got ya buddy." A few minutes later my order arrived; the server explained that it had been forgotten, and when he got the message, saw that it had been prepared and had melted!

So, I then decided to eat my ice cream and watch TV for a bit. The TV didn't work! Powered on, but nothing. I checked the connections and the settings, all looked fine. I didn't bother calling anyone, because, first, wasn't obvious I could reach anyone and, second, who needs an engineer at that hour, even in the unlikely event there was one on the premises at t hat hour. So, I just went to bed.

Several have commented that breakfast "left something to be desired." Here was my experience: I walked in, saw a server chatting with a customer, I went to sit down at a table. Nothing. After a few minutes, I got up to get the buffet. There's an omelet station, and another guest was standing there waiting to be served, but there was nobody manning the station. I asked the other guest if she'd seen anyone, and she said no. I got something else, went back to my table, and ate what i'd gotten. And sat for a few more minutes. Still hadn't seen a server. Finally, someone walked by and I flagged him down--he asked if I needed anything, and I said, "yes, now that I've eaten, I'd like some coffee." He cheerfully (and unapologetically) said, sure, and got me some. About that time, the poor customer who'd been waiting at the omelet station came out and asked the same server if anyone was going to wait on her at the omelet station. (She has considerably more patience than me!). He went back into the kitchen, and shortly thereafter, a cook arrived at the omelet station--I'm guessing 15 minutes or so after I'd arrived. I went back to the buffet and got a box of cereal, but there was no milk to be found. There was a large bowl full of containers of chocolate milk, but that was it. I found the server who'd gotten me coffee, and asked for some skim milk. He dug thru the bowl of chocolate milk, then went back to the kitchen and came back with a container of 2% milk and asked if that was ok. I said sure, ate my cereal, and left.

I checked out a few minutes later, and went to the desk to do it. When asked if my stay had been ok, I said no, and recounted what had happened--bad room service, telephone didn't work (in a way that raises safety/security concerns), tv didn't work, awful breakfast service. The clerk seemed not at all surprised and offered me half off the bill or 10,000 points. I took the points. And put the hotel back on my "never again" list. Another lesson--when a hotel offers poor service, renovation doesn't cure it.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
As others have noted, this hotels pops up because of its relatively low room rate per night offers. However, from previous reviews in this thread, it doesn't fare terribly well.

Any recent stays to say if they've gotten a clue?

David
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: US, HH
I stayed there for 1 night about 3 months ago. Given the comments upthread, I had low expectations, but it was just an overnight before an early flight out. I was able to OLCI into a corner room, top floor, which turned out to be a very large room, quite nice, and very quiet. Everything that I used worked fine. There was no indication this was an upgrade, but it didnt look like a standard room per the layout on the back of the door. The airport shuttle was on time and worked fine. I didnt use any other services.

The front desk at 10pm could have been better. (Slow, unsure about shuttle details, which was the only reason I stopped by. The digital key worked fine.)

Everything I saw of the hotel - lobby, hallways, room - looked perfectly fine. Ill stay again if the price is right, especially if it is just an overnight to catch an early flight.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrjApp
I stayed there for 1 night about 3 months ago. Given the comments upthread, I had low expectations, but it was just an overnight before an early flight out. I was able to OLCI into a corner room, top floor, which turned out to be a very large room, quite nice, and very quiet. Everything that I used worked fine. There was no indication this was an upgrade, but it didnt look like a standard room per the layout on the back of the door. The airport shuttle was on time and worked fine. I didnt use any other services.

The front desk at 10pm could have been better. (Slow, unsure about shuttle details, which was the only reason I stopped by. The digital key worked fine.)

Everything I saw of the hotel - lobby, hallways, room - looked perfectly fine. Ill stay again if the price is right, especially if it is just an overnight to catch an early flight.
Thanks! That helps!

David
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1 night stay: 07/29/19 - 07/30/19

This stay, just like [MENTION=590032]GrjApp[/MENTION]'s, was for an overnight - checked in around 10 pm and checked out at around 8 am.

(gratuitous shot of the Hilton ATL thrown in for gratuity...)

*** Biggest issue I had *** - no shuttle was operating to go from the ATL hotel turnaround pickup back to the DT that night. I dropped off my rental car back at ATL, took the tram/rail back to the terminal and waited and waited - no shuttle was operating. Ended up grabbing the Hampton shuttle - the driver picked up folks who's been stuck at ATL and were trying to get to the Staybridge and then took me to the DT. Front desk "apologized" since the evening DT shuttle driver did not report in for work by giving me another cookie. FWIW.

The DT shuttle in the AM back to ATL worked fine - just know that DL folks use the hotel and get dropped of at one or more of the training facilities nearby the hotel.

David
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond / Delta Plat
Hoping Hilton does it right - potential known problem for upcoming stay

Been a loyal diamond member for a while but feel like I'm about to run into a buzz saw. Would love to get your feedback and would also love to let everyone know how it goes along the way. Long story short, I've got an upcoming stay tonight at an airport hotel. Park here fly there sort of thing. I also have a room booked at the same hotel upon return because of my late arrival.

I've seen on social media that this particular property has had hot water issues. That's no good when you're mainly staying there to sleep, take a hot shower, and be on your way for an early flight.

I asked the property via messenger about the hot water issue and this is where it got interesting. My first ask was to Hilton via twitter and they said the property told them they had it under control. However, the messanger desk agent said that all rooms are affected and that the way to get hot water was to run the sink and the tub for 15-20 minutes. Seriously?

I reached out to the Diamond Line and they said there's nothing they can do. I knew they'd let me out of the reservation but obviously being last minute all hotels are drastically more expensive than they were when I originally booked. I kept what I had and sent the screen shots to Hilton twitter. They said they'd look into it.

This morning I get a message from Hilton Twitter that they called the property and everything is under control.

Back to Hilton messenger where they confirmed they're still having hot water issues but will assign me a room that has hot water.

I'm putting my hope and trust and faith in the brand that when I arrive everything will be in order. Will report back!
Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:35 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Please say which hotel.
:D! and happychic like this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
IMO this is a local property specific issue. Asking Hilton corporate to get involved is a fool's errand.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 7:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond / Delta Plat
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Please say which hotel.
doubletree Atlanta airport

happy to say, we picked a room lower to the lobby and yes, we had to run water for quite a long while but it did eventually get hot.

im glad I knew about the issue before I arrived so I could work round it. Would have been frustrating if I hadnt but it looks like theyre making the best out of the issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.