Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Current Points Purchase Promotion" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: _kurt
Hilton Points Purchase Promotions
FAQ

How often does Hilton offer promotions on purchased points?

What is the typical / best offer?

Hilton frequently offers a 100% bonus on points purchases. There may be a minimum purchase required to receive the bonus.

How many points can I purchase in a calendar year?
The normal restriction in Hilton T&C limits each member to purchasing 80,000 points per year. Typically the bonus points are awarded after the restriction is enforced, meaning with a 100% bonus promotion you can purchase 80,000 points and receive another 80,000 as a bonus for a total of 160,000. Sometimes for promotions later in the year, Hilton will temporarily raise the limit on purchased points to 160,000 per year. Meaning, if you had purchased 80,000 in a previous promotion you could now purchase 80,000 more. Or, if it was the first points purchase of the year on your account you could purchase 160,000 and receive a bonus of 160,000.

What are the rules on purchasing points from a new / recently created Hilton account?

Posted by jbeckett in a now-locked thread:
From the Hilton Honors terms and conditions: https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-honors/terms/

A new Hilton Honors Member may purchase Points 30 days after enrollment if the account reflects activity including a stay (as defined herein) or earning Hilton Honors Points through a Hilton Hilton Honors Marketing Partner. After 90 days of enrollment, a new Member is eligible to purchase Points regardless of their account activity.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Current Points Purchase Promotion" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:19 am

Another option that I have used to top-off for a reward is:

Amex -> Continental -> Amtrak -> Hilton
1:1 1:1 1:2

I think that Amtrak has changed this so you must be an elite member, or have an Amtrak card to move points into Hilton. If you have time, you can apply for an Amtrak card and get the 5000 bonus point for first purchase.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold
I had once been offered to purchase the points and they will match the same amount of points in my account, so if I buy 1,000 points, they will give me another 1,000 points. I did not take that offer but later on when I needed to buy points, I mentioned this offer to the rep and he just checked with his supervisor and did this for me!
Old Feb 25, 2009, 5:09 am

Have the rules changed re purchsed points being base points? This is the text on the "Purchase HHonors Points page:

"Need more points to reach that next VIP tier? Purchase points by selecting the link below and completing the form provided."

Since only base points count towards the next VIP tier it looks pretty clear to me. Has anyone any evidence one way or the other?

Cheers,
Steve.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 1:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'm guessing you're looking at the new UK/ beta German website.

Whoever put it together didn't fully understand the HHonors scheme, so the whole thing is wrong. If you've got the same problem as me, you'll probably also find it tells you that you have x base points, where x is the same as total points you have. That's also wrong.

I emailed the Diamond desk to ask them about this, and they somewhat obtusely came back with "no, this is wrong".

Tempted still to take a screenshot of my account with 150K or so basepoints if/when I don't hit Diamond again this year...
Old Feb 26, 2009, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I'm guessing you're looking at the new UK/ beta German website.

Whoever put it together didn't fully understand the HHonors scheme, so the whole thing is wrong. If you've got the same problem as me, you'll probably also find it tells you that you have x base points, where x is the same as total points you have. That's also wrong.

I emailed the Diamond desk to ask them about this, and they somewhat obtusely came back with "no, this is wrong".

Tempted still to take a screenshot of my account with 150K or so basepoints if/when I don't hit Diamond again this year...
If they don't change it and I need a few more points to keep Diamond at the end of March I will buy what I need and keep a screenshot. I wonder where they stand legally on this? I suspect they would have to honour it if you hit the "Purchase Points" button under a label as clear as that, especially if they know about it now and do nothing about it. How long has it been like that?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
let me ask you this

if i valued my Hh at 1/2 cent per point in exchange for a voucher.. I would be trading my hh points at a discount I presume????
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors, SPG, Marriott
Worth it to Purchase HHonors Points at a Discount?

Hey guys,

Not sure if you saw this recent promo from Points.com but basically they're offering 20% off the price to purchase points. I tried it out and it looks like you're able to buy up to 40,000 points $320.

Based on your experience is something like this worth it?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Hell no.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by indufan
Hell no.
+1

Most of us value Hilton points at .5 cents each --- so do the math.

A better use of your money is to get a Hilton Amex card which will get you Gold status and all kinds of additional points.

Bob H
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Rarely.

Might be if you're already planning to book a room in a crazy availability period where you're short on points.

For instance I got the Hilton Glendale for $50 + 12k points when it was $300 per night. Clearly if I hadn't had those points it would have been worth me buying them at $100 per night and paying $150 per night for the room, instead of a cash purchase.

However that is the exception and not the rule.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by willsterstyle
Hey guys,

Not sure if you saw this recent promo from Points.com but basically they're offering 20% off the price to purchase points. I tried it out and it looks like you're able to buy up to 40,000 points $320.

Based on your experience is something like this worth it?
99.99999999% of the time - hell no
Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Cymro
Rarely.

Might be if you're already planning to book a room in a crazy availability period where you're short on points.

For instance I got the Hilton Glendale for $50 + 12k points when it was $300 per night. Clearly if I hadn't had those points it would have been worth me buying them at $100 per night and paying $150 per night for the room, instead of a cash purchase.

However that is the exception and not the rule.
The other exception is that if you are just short of points for 4 nights (5th night free) and you need to book it now and cannot wait for the points. For example, if I am booking a 5 nights stay at a 80,000 pt/night ($550 per night) resort and I only got 280,000 points. I could

Use 240,000 points and pay $1100 with 40,000 points left
or
Buy the 40,000 points for $320 and use the 320,000 points with 0 point left
Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Need
The other exception is that if you are just short of points for 4 nights (5th night free) and you need to book it now and cannot wait for the points. For example, if I am booking a 5 nights stay at a 80,000 pt/night ($550 per night) resort and I only got 280,000 points. I could

Use 240,000 points and pay $1100 with 40,000 points left
or
Buy the 40,000 points for $320 and use the 320,000 points with 0 point left
or

Plan better and get a 60K visa for nothing
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
With rare exceptions described.

NO
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:36 am

Definitely No. Not worth it. I value Hilton points at max .4 cent per point. 40k Hilton points would give you 2 nights at Hilton Cat 3 hotels/maybe sometimes 2 nights in Cat4 hilton. Paying cash for 2 nights can be much less than 320 bucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.