Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: AA, BA, HH
@Ikar - Do you see the offer in your HHonors account or AMEX?

If you are currently gold with Hilton will this card upgrade you to diamond?

thanks
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oneeye4u76

thanks
I think if you spend 40k on the card you qualify for Diamond; there isn't a level upgrade for getting the card.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by oneeye4u76

thanks
On my amex account -- when I go into "view all cards" and click on it, there's a place to upgrade, and this deal comes up.

I'm a bit on the fence whether to do it. I'd kind of like to wait until the new year, because I'm already gold and that should, I think, extend it another year. But then the offer might not be there next year. I also still have two 2500 point bonuses I can earn on my regular Amex from the initial sign up offer for upcoming Hilton stays, which I assume I would lose if I got this card, so it's really a 45,000 offer for me.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:08 pm

Upgrading to Surpass and Gold Status

Does anyone know the precise duration of the "complimentary, first year Gold status" for upgrading/obtaining the Hilton Surpass Amex card? Based on my reading on FT, I have not found a precise answer, but have narrowed the possibilities to:

(1) the 12-month period beginning when the card was obtained;
(2) the rest of the calendar year in which the card was obtained + stub period of Jan-Mar of following year;
(3) the rest of the calendar year in which the card was obtained + stub period of Jan-Mar of following year, UNLESS the card is obtained on or after July 1 in year X, in which case the duration is the rest of the calendar year (X), the full following calendar year (X+1) + stub period of Jan-Mar the next year (X+2).

Any help/clarification would be much appreciated, as I am trying to strategize the process of upgrading to Surpass. Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:19 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
I got my Surpass card in October. When my HH Gold card arrived, the expiration says March 2013.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by thekaica
I got my Surpass card in October. When my HH Gold card arrived, the expiration says March 2013.
Many thanks! Obviously, not what I was hoping, but this info should make my decision easier/informed.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:09 pm

I got my Surpass card in April, and my gold expiration also said March 2013. So If you waited until January, you would have gold status until March 2014.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by birdseye
I got my Surpass card in April, and my gold expiration also said March 2013. So If you waited until January, you would have gold status until March 2014.
Really? Did you do anything else this year that might have triggered gold status through March 2013? (I, for one, did the Visa Signature promo that got me Gold through March 2013.)

Thanks for the info; I will definitely wait until 2012 to upgrade. Nothing to lose re: Gold status.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
On my amex account -- when I go into "view all cards" and click on it, there's a place to upgrade, and this deal comes up.

I'm a bit on the fence whether to do it. I'd kind of like to wait until the new year, because I'm already gold and that should, I think, extend it another year. But then the offer might not be there next year. I also still have two 2500 point bonuses I can earn on my regular Amex from the initial sign up offer for upcoming Hilton stays, which I assume I would lose if I got this card, so it's really a 45,000 offer for me.
I was the same as you - no email about the offer, but it was showing in my account when I logged onto AMEX.com. Plain as day Upgrade now - spend $3K in 90days & get 50K bonus miles. Well they are only giving me 40K and keep asking for the offer code for the 50K ( I have the screen shots, but there's no unique code on there)
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
I see that too. Just not sure if I will get the 50,000 bonus points (I upgraded once in 2009). Anyway, good to know. Thank you.

alextktan
Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fumbalah
I got an email yesterday saying I could upgrade my AMEX Hilton to the Surpass and receive 50,000 bonus points. Is this worthwhile do you think with the $75 annual fee.
It's a no brainer and I don't understand people asking such questions! But if you need to care so much about 75 $ then it's probably not worth it.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: HHonors
looking to upgrade my AMEX to the surpass for the upcoming busy season... its Dec 1st. If I do it now, will I have gold through Dec. 31 - 2012?, if I wait until January, would I get the gold through Dec. 31 -2013? im a new to the website, so sorry if this has been answered elsewhere! thanks for the help! $75 will clearly by paid for by access to the concierge lounge for about 30 nights in jan and feb for me!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond, National Executive, UA
Originally Posted by smithjo4
If I do it now, will I have gold through Dec. 31 - 2012?, if I wait until January, would I get the gold through Dec. 31 -2013?
If I'm not mistaken, you will be and remain gold for as long as the card is active. There is not spend limit on the Surpass to get gold status (although there is for diamond status if you are qualing just on spend).

Too bad I didn't see this thread before I got the Surpass card. I jumped right in to Surpass.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
The language in the first posts says complimentary gold status for the first year. After that you should be able to maintain gold by spending $20k per year or diamond with annual spending of $40k.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, National Executive, UA
You're right, Silver is given free with the card no matter the spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.