Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in South Korea {KOR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in South Korea {KOR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Trip Report: Hilton Millenium Seoul (with pics)

Stay for 10 days in any hotel, and you get to know it pretty well!

Check-in
Other than the rip-off cab ride on the drive to the Hilton Millenium, everything about the hotel was great. The staff greeted every guest as they passed by, almost to a fault, often with polite bows. The front desk staff and business centre staff were friendly and accomodating, as long as it did not require bending the rules.

At check-in I found out that they had indeed received my e-mail with a room request. Room 1908 (executive floor, corner room with floor-to-ceiling windows on two sides, away from elevator) was waiting for me at arrival.

Room 1908
In the room, were some small chocolates and a welcome note from Mr. Swanson, the general manager. The view from the large room was great. There was a very large LG television, and a desk with a fax machine, local cell phone and computer hook-ups. (The internet fee was a rip-off at about $US25 per day, however.)

The best part of the room was the mirror in the bathroom (I'm not kidding). The first day, I stepped out of the steamy shower and discovered that a 3'x3' area of the mirror was unfogged. Brilliant!! ^ The safe was also nice and large and allowed me to slip my computer in there when necessary. (One of my colleagues had his leather jacket go "missing" from his room while we were there, so I was extra careful.)

The bed was fairly comfortable and I loved the fluffy white duvet. Maid service was prompt and they seemed to always descend like fairies while I was away. I walked into the room once while a maid and one of the boss-men were conferring in my room. They smiled, checked something on their clipboard and hurried out.

I needed some extra hangers and a nail clipper, both were delivered to my room within minutes.

Executive Club
Since breakfast at the restaurant downstairs was included in my rate, I never ate breakfast in the executive club. In fact, during most of my stay, only the club on the 21st floor was open. For the last couple days, they opened the 19th floor club. I popped my head in one morning and the selection was decent -- fruits, cereals, coffee/espresso machine, juices, muesli, and some hot American selections. At noon, when I was working in my room, I would often grab a sandwich from Seoul Station (a little place called La Baguette had great little sandwiches) and take it to the lounge. There were always cold drinks and during the lunch hours they would bring out soup, as well as little sandwiches and cakes. In the evenings, there was beer and wine as well as other beverages and a smattering of hot appetizers and desserts. Here again, the staff was charming, but typically unwilling to do anything not specifically scripted for them. (e.g. I needed to use one of the meeting rooms they have set aside, but because both the 19th and 21st floor clubs were open, they would not allow me to use a meeting room.)

Candidly, it could have been better. While Namdaemun was close, I only went there once or twice. There were not many restaurants nearby and to get to the subway, you have to trek up and down a big hill, winding between buildings and some seedy-looking digs (perfectly safe, but seedy-looking nonetheless). Seoul Station (about a 15-20 minute walk) has a few restaurants, but most of them are crowded -- the best one we found there was a Chinese place on the upper floor. The only decent restaurant we found near the hotel was a little hole in the wall Italian place called Ben Venuti. If you walk out the front of the hotel and keep going straight up the hill for about 50 yards, it will be on your right. It is very small, but the food was quite good and the staff speak English (a skill not to be underestimated in Seoul!). If you're lucky enough to have a company that covers regular taxi fares or a car service, disregard any of the above commentary about location. As far as centrality is concerned, the Hilton Millenium seems well-positioned in the city.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:48 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Candidly, it could have been better. While Namdaemun was close, I only went there once or twice. There were not many restaurants nearby and to get to the subway, you have to trek up and down a big hill, winding between buildings and some seedy-looking digs (perfectly safe, but seedy-looking nonetheless). Seoul Station (about a 15-20 minute walk) has a few restaurants, but most of them are crowded -- the best one we found there was a Chinese place on the upper floor. The only decent restaurant we found near the hotel was a little hole in the wall Italian place called Ben Venuti. If you walk out the front of the hotel and keep going straight up the hill for about 50 yards, it will be on your right. It is very small, but the food was quite good and the staff speak English (a skill not to be underestimated in Seoul!). If you're lucky enough to have a company that covers regular taxi fares or a car service, disregard any of the above commentary about location. As far as centrality is concerned, the Hilton Millenium seems well-positioned in the city.
This is key for me, it would seem that for a tourist interested in touring Seoul that the Hiltons are not that good for location (I like to get out and experience restaurants/shops/sights outside the hotel)

--
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:54 am
DH

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
This is key for me, it would seem that for a tourist interested in touring Seoul that the Hiltons are not that good for location (I like to get out and experience restaurants/shops/sights outside the hotel)

--
If you want Starwood option, Westin Chosun is an excellent choice for its locations in regards to restaurants, stores, subway station and etc...
Old Mar 22, 2007, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by DH
If you want Starwood option, Westin Chosun is an excellent choice for its locations in regards to restaurants, stores, subway station and etc...
good to know, little pricey at $215 per night, suppose I could use 50% SPG cert
Old Mar 23, 2007, 9:59 am
DH

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
good to know, little pricey at $215 per night, suppose I could use 50% SPG cert
BTW, as Platinum member you are likely to get a club room which includes free internet access and free cell phone rental. Additionally, its lounge breakfast is better than Millennium Seoul's.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:16 am

Hiltons in Korea Outside Seoul?

My son is going to school in Korea and I was considering doing some travel with my son outside of Seoul during a break in his courses. Does anyone have experience staying at the Namhae property? It is a Cat 6, but I got no hits on a search for the property, so it makes me wonder.

Any experiences at the Namhae property? Or the Gyeongju property either for that matter...??
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by DH
BTW, as Platinum member you are likely to get a club room which includes free internet access and free cell phone rental. Additionally, its lounge breakfast is better than Millennium Seoul's.
Thanks DH, The 50% SPG cert rate was more expensive than internet rates. I will be staying at the Westin for a couple days anyways.

Originally Posted by underpressure
Seoul Station (Trains and subway) is just down the hill. It is a ten minute walk, kind of a maze through the hotel and parking deck but it is doable and learnable) Not bad but it can be treacherous in inclimate weather (Then I just overpay for a cab)
From the map I’m reading, if one walks down the hill from the Hilton Millennium to Seoul Station, it looks like one can catch Line 1 and Line 4. Can anyone confirm ? Also curious if the subway is “easy” to use if I don’t read Korean.

-
Old Mar 31, 2007, 3:49 pm

Yes, you leave the hotel and go either left or right and around/down the hill. When you get to the bottom of the hill, look for the underground walkway under the road across the street to Seoul Station. About 10 minutes all in all. Subways are easy to use, just be sure to get a map and plan your journey. The walk back up to the Hiton is not for the faint of heart... it is a steep walk no matter what. My primary complaint about the subway convenience is that the ticket machines only take coins.. no cash and no credit cards. You often have to buy tickets at the booth which has an occasional language challenge.
Old May 5, 2007, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL-PM, HH Diamond
Hello everyone,

Does anybody have the email for Mr. Swanson (still the Manager at the Millenium)? I will be staying next week and hoping to confirm a room ahead of time.

Cheers,

Answida
Old Jul 22, 2007, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by answida
Hello everyone,

Does anybody have the email for Mr. Swanson (still the Manager at the Millenium)? I will be staying next week and hoping to confirm a room ahead of time.

Cheers,

Answida
Answida, did you get the email for Mr. Swanson ? How was your stay ?

--
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:26 am

Bump

Well.. researching this again and thought I would check if there were any HH posters that had experience at the 2 HH hotels in Korea outside Seoul
Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:54 pm

Just wanted to throw in my two cents on my two stays (HH Gold) -

One night at the Grand in Feb 08.

If you looking for a public transportation friendly place, this is probably not it. The walk isn't so bad down the hill vs. the Millenium, and the cabs (korean taxis are relatively cheap) and shuttle do help - but previously mentioned, there really isn't a subway station nearby. But if you are looking to party (hong-dae area) is probably the best bet and this would suit you better than the Millenium in terms of distance. Also the club/bar downstairs was SLOW when I stayed - I think I was the only customer from 11:30pm-12:30am. I think one thing that hasn't been pointed out in the forums is that the ride to the airport, be it Incheon or Gimpo is going to be about 30-45mins less than the Millenium - which in Seoul traffic could be a godsend. The rooms are pretty comfy and there is a seperate executive floor checkin area.

Three nights at the Millinuem in Apr 08.

If you litterally want to be in the middle of Seoul, this is the best place, in terms of the two hiltons (I plan on staying here in Oct 08). Seoul station is a great hub for public transportation. Plus the KTX train is there, if you want to take a trip down south. As mentioned before, the walk back up the hill from Seoul station can be a pain. Another option that hasn't been mentioned is taking Hoehyeon station (namdaemoon). It's not as direct, but the walk is a little more forgiving (Take a left out the lobby, down the hill, and stairs to the right vs. Seoul station - out and down the rear entrance/garden area). Plus the entrance to Seoul station is accross the street from the main station, and I'm a Korean-American and I feel somewhat uncomfortable in the evening times with the homeless situation in Seoul station (main lobby is ok).

Also if you decide to take a cab, it's easier for cab drivers to recognize/find the Millenium. Some drivers you say the former hotel's name for the grand. I believe it was the Swiss Grand until around 2002/3. Other than that, I find both rooms fairly comprable. The lobby area and food establishments definetely looks nicer in the Millenium. For people allergic to smoke or have young kids, I'd avoid the Millenium in the late evenings, as the entire lobby smells like smoke due to the bar situation (back in Apr 08 - i'm pretty sure things haven't changed).

I'd say you can't go wrong with either - but if you're only there for a few days, mainly on business and don't have much time to spend in the city, I'd say the Grand would probably be a better bet (especially if you have a tight schedule to and from the airport). If you want to explore and have more of the "five star" experience, go for the Millineum.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 4:07 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA PP, MR LTTE, was HH/D now Gold
was in the millenium hilton 3 weeks ago
location and transportation excellent
service at executive club ok,
different food from the various restaurants each day
haven't tried the breakfast (clubs in itaewon closing late), but once in the restaurant. good choice of korean bf stuff, had also western food
Old Jul 1, 2008, 6:26 pm

You have forgotten to take me there....tag me along next time, ok?
Old Jul 7, 2008, 7:28 am

Programs: A3*G, UA PP, MR LTTE, was HH/D now Gold
Originally Posted by bkkjason2003
You have forgotten to take me there....tag me along next time, ok?
ok for sure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.