Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Warning: Change your assigned PIN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning: Change your assigned PIN

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2002, 11:25 am

He may have been one of our military travelers. That is one way to show Capt.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NCRBILL:
He may have been one of our military travelers. That is one way to show Capt.</font>
Or he could have been 1/2 of a famous 1970's singing duo?

Old Apr 3, 2002, 7:49 pm

I wonder if this is related. I just logged on to check my HHonors account. I entered my HHonors # and PIN (I've never changed it from the assigned #) and a screen popped up saying, "Please enter last name for verification." I typed in "Doakes" and everything proceeded as always. This has never happened before.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 8:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CutStyle:
Since you guys have obviously now changed your PIN numbers, what were the old numbers? Maybe a *huge* number of accounts went out with the same PINs?</font>
Take a guess ... you've got a 1 in 10,000 chance of getting it right

seriously ... if a mass-PIN-number is truly out there, I for one don't want to be the one revealing what the magic word is. Nor should anyone ... not everyone with a lot of points in their accounts reads these boards, y'know.

Just my 5 points' worth ...

SP
Old Apr 3, 2002, 9:24 pm

WOW!

The additional security step of providing ones last name has indeed been added!

Perhaps this is part of the software upgrades Hilton has been working on, or the work of a certain Hilton angel. Or both. Way To Go Hilton! In just over 24 hours since the original posting, Hilton has acted! Very Impressive!
Old Apr 3, 2002, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
just check it out... indeed it ask for your last name..cool.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Rumor has it - the Hilton site got hacked

This is probably their response
Old Apr 4, 2002, 5:52 am

I bet you Automallonline did it!! Hey, this could be possible. They do ask for both your account number and your pin number.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 7:45 am

for the record, i noticed a long time ago that there is a relatively simple pattern to Hilton account PINs. let's just put it this way-- there is NO WAY they could be generated randomly, and you don't have to be John Nash Jr. to figure it out.

i don't think anyone should give any more specific details, but the only excuse i can think of is that if you go to a Hilton rep and forget your PIN, they can miraculously pull-up your account.

if anyone hacked into a Hilton account, the hotel should bear the brunt of the blame for their 4th-rate security.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by teammjs:
for the record, i noticed a long time ago that there is a relatively simple pattern to Hilton account PINs. let's just put it this way-- there is NO WAY they could be generated randomly, and you don't have to be John Nash Jr. to figure it out.

i don't think anyone should give any more specific details, but the only excuse i can think of is that if you go to a Hilton rep and forget your PIN, they can miraculously pull-up your account.

if anyone hacked into a Hilton account, the hotel should bear the brunt of the blame for their 4th-rate security.
</font>

I thought that they would have been able to pull up the account without a PIN anyway

Dave
Old Apr 4, 2002, 9:51 am

Dave,

You're right... they can look up your account number simply by searching for your name and address

I don't know what sort of logistics teammjs was using, but how can you "notice a pattern" of account numbers unless you have a string of them? and if so, what would someone do with all those HHonors account numbers? they're not like credit card numbers afterall... you usually have to "purchase" to earn points this post is getting more amusing everyday.

kudos to HHonors for stepping up on the security!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.