Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zimmerman Management

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2002, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Zimmerman Management

I just got back from San Antonio and we stayed at a Hampton Inn. It clearly states that it is managed by Zimmerman Management. Why does Hilton have someone else manage the Hampton Inn if they own them now. Is this common with other chains to have someone else manage certain properties? I never noticed this before.

Old Mar 23, 2002, 1:30 pm

I've stayed many nights at a Hampton in Springdale, AR. It is managed (owned?) by John Q. Hammons Hotels. They share the parking lot with a much larger Holiday Inn that is also with John Q. Hammons. They share ammenities such as room service and health club.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 1:54 pm

This is very common... for example the Hilton Times Square is co-managed (owned) with a different company (can't remember the exact name, something like Forest Management).

This occurs in most major chains.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

While I knew that some were franchised out, I guess I never noticed the information presented this way. My brain was in a fog. I have been at a national dance competion for 1 and 1/2 days (my daughter's). That was a dumb question. I should have just thought about it before I asked.

Thanks for the quick info, though. I can always count on you all!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Old Mar 23, 2002, 2:34 pm

A little bit of trivia:

Out of 229 (give or take) Hilton hotels in the US, 53 are owned and/or managed hotels, 169 hotels are under franchise agreements,
1 is a leased property, and 6 are joint ventures.

In the whole Hilton family of hotels, approximately 1,352 properties are under franchise agreements.

When it comes to Hampton Inn brand, I believe that pretty much all (or almost all) properties are franchised.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 3:31 pm

... and when your experience at a franchise property does not meet your Hilton expectations please let others know. It's not a Hilton bashing, but it forewarns us that, when we have a choice, we make a choice. Hilton does shed poor performers because they adversely impact the entire family.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Another big hotel management company is MeriStar. I've noticed their name as the manager of the Embassy Suites Philadelphia City Center.

If you browse www.meristar.com , you'll see that MeriStar owns and operates some 112 hotels, under brand names including Hilton, Sheraton, Marriott, Embassy Suites, Westin, Radisson, Doubletree, Crowne Plaza and others.

Kathy
Old Mar 26, 2002, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Hilton, like most of the big hotel chains, is a franchised system. They own the name of the brand (Hampton Inn, etc.) but not the physical property.
Old Mar 26, 2002, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
More common is that a hotel will be owned by a trust or other organization and operated by a management company.

So you might see a sign like:

This hotel owned by X and operated by Y, neither of those names being Hilton.

TW
Old Mar 26, 2002, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
MeriStar, which I mentioned above, has two sister companies, one of which is a hotel management company and the other of which is a hotel REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust).

Evidently, many (most? all?) of the hotels that MeriStar manages are also owned by MeriStar (or at least by the investors in the REIT).

Kathy
Old Mar 26, 2002, 3:48 pm

By the way, Hilton has more owned/managed properties than Marriott, who only has about 21 properties out of the 2,000+.

In addition to Hampton Inn, most of the Hilton Garden Inn are franchised as well.

------------------
share the knowledge = share the wealth

Just a Duck in a Pond Quacking Away!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.