Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
If you are a Diamond, email the Diamond desk and also mail the copy of your invoice. This worked fine for me (about 5 times). If Gold, I think customer service would also do a good job.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
An update - retro claim rejected, due to "non qualifying rate". The rate was a totally qualifying prepaid one ("Summer sale") booking made on the Hilton site.

Where to turn now? (the decline mail came from a do-not-reply address)
I'm presuming that response came from HH. I have had a similar situation where they only looked at what the property did and "presumed" it was correct. I had to go back and pull up their T&Cs and quote them to HH to get the stay to post. The CSR did not look further than her nose to see what really happened and how it needed to be fixed. Seems to be typical CSR behavior these days.

PS: I'm hoping they don't have it in for our names.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Thx guys, going to call CS (lowly Gold here )
Old May 10, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Diamond walked

Just reached the HGI at 1.30am to find out they had overbooked "like wha happens every night in every hotel" according to the manager. They moved me to the nearby Hilton, but initially did not even offer to pay for the room in the new hotel!

I asked why they couldn't have at least let me know earlier by phone or email, but was just met with a blank face and a "my shift just started" excuse.

I've read a lot about compensation in the US for this kind of issue, but is it worth pursuing in the UK? Nothing above the room charge was offered.
Old May 10, 2016, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by noubliepas
I asked why they couldn't have at least let me know earlier by phone or email, but was just met with a blank face and a "my shift just started" excuse.
They were hoping you would not show up. By 1:29 a.m., they were probably feeling pretty good about it . . .
Old May 10, 2016, 7:38 pm

Yes. At some point, the manager probably made a gamble to give away your room in the hope that you are a no-show. I suspect a lot of times, the properties win, but hey, sometimes the guest do come in at weird hours.

Meanwhile, take a look at these

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ve-thread.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...d-diamond.html
Old May 10, 2016, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you let them know when you anticipated arriving? 1:30 AM is pretty late. If I know I am going to arrive after 8:00 PM I always call and give them an estimate of my actual arrival time. They are always appreciative.
Old May 10, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: IHG Spire A, HH Diamond
I thought that it is a Hilton wide policy and not a country specific one. The hotel has to:
  • pay for the room at the other hotel
  • pay for the drive there
  • give the guests the points and miles for the room
  • for diamond, give them $200
Of course, they will try to weasel themselves out of it and say the don't know of anything like that. Shoot an email to the gm of the first hotel and see what his solution is. If nothing comes back call the diamond desk.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ilseum
I thought that it is a Hilton wide policy and not a country specific one. The hotel has to:
  • pay for the room at the other hotel
  • pay for the drive there
  • give the guests the points and miles for the room
  • for diamond, give them $200
Of course, they will try to weasel themselves out of it and say the don't know of anything like that. Shoot an email to the gm of the first hotel and see what his solution is. If nothing comes back call the diamond desk.
FWIW, the HGI brand standard (as of 2012, anyway) called for a $100 payment, not $200, to Diamonds. See section 703.12 of http://www.tnjgroup.com/Drawings/Hob...Aug%202012.pdf

In case anyone is wondering how to find such documents, see post 198 of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...l#post18931417 for instructions:
Basically, Google for "[brand]" plus "brand operating standards," "global franchise operating standards," or the like, and you'll find plenty of good info. It may not always be current, but odds are good you can find something from the very recent past.

Last edited by beltway; May 10, 2016 at 8:53 pm
Old May 10, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
So anyone know the login/password?

http://www.hiltonworldwide.com/hd-as...14-hfs-nam.pdf

Originally Posted by beltway
FWIW, the HGI brand standard (as of 2012, anyway) called for a $100 payment, not $200, to Diamonds. See section 703.12 of http://www.tnjgroup.com/Drawings/Hob...Aug%202012.pdf

In case anyone is wondering how to find such documents, see post 198 of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...l#post18931417 for instructions:
Old May 10, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: IHG Spire A, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by beltway
Interesting, that is good to know, thanks for the info.

I just spend way too much time reading that thing...
Old May 11, 2016, 2:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC Gold (OWE)
Originally Posted by Baze
Did you let them know when you anticipated arriving? 1:30 AM is pretty late. If I know I am going to arrive after 8:00 PM I always call and give them an estimate of my actual arrival time. They are always appreciative.
As a Diamond, I'd expect a call before they gave my room away. That's the least they can do.
Old May 11, 2016, 3:55 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by ocprodigy
As a Diamond, I'd expect a call before they gave my room away. That's the least they can do.
Totally agree. If I have a guaranteed room, I expect it to be guaranteed until check out time or at least 9am. This was at an airport hotel as well - it's very difficult to let them know if you are stuck on a delayed long haul flight.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:18 am

Has anyone ever actually had success in getting the cash payment though? I can't say I can recall seeing it happen. Pointing to some leaked document on the internet that isn't supposed to even be public-facing doesn't exactly give the customer a ton of leverage.
Old May 11, 2016, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Baze
This is just sound practice. It also makes them slightly less likely to give my assigned room to someone else, leaving me with the worst room in the property (which is really the main risk of a very late arrival).

Originally Posted by ocprodigy
As a Diamond, I'd expect a call before they gave my room away.
What if they Don't Know Who You Are?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.