Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does Hilton have an official policy for walking a Diamond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For information on how to locate Hilton's current "walking" policies, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16853805-post9.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16660591-post430.html
Print Wikipost

Does Hilton have an official policy for walking a Diamond?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:31 am
jrx
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by c502cid
Update: This hotel just took it to another level. They charged my credit card for the stay that never happened.
Call Hilton right away. Ask to speak to a supervisor. Tell them that you want to "initiate a formal complaint" against this property. Explain the situation, from the beginning, and stress the bad attitude of the manager. Charging you for the stay is either outright incompetence or retaliation and harassment for your action to enforce the terms of the Diamond walk compensation. Hilton should want to know about these actions.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by jrx
Call Hilton right away. Ask to speak to a supervisor. Tell them that you want to "initiate a formal complaint" against this property. Explain the situation, from the beginning, and stress the bad attitude of the manager. Charging you for the stay is either outright incompetence or retaliation and harassment for your action to enforce the terms of the Diamond walk compensation. Hilton should want to know about these actions.
I'm all over it. The Diamond Desk agent was besides herself when I told her. It was added to the file that was already started.
missamo80 and hi55us like this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:27 am

Needless to say, regardless of the Hilton side, if the hotel charged you for this stay and it didn't happen, you should report it to the CC company and open a case on that end.

My understanding is that a chargeback investigation isn't exactly enjoyable for the merchant in question. The financial services companies don't mess around.
c502cid and ptownca like this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Needless to say, regardless of the Hilton side, if the hotel charged you for this stay and it didn't happen, you should report it to the CC company and open a case on that end.

My understanding is that a chargeback investigation isn't exactly enjoyable for the merchant in question. The financial services companies don't mess around.
Yes, in this case a chargeback is a good way to go. However, it is possible to get charged for a no-show, which is my guess how this happened. Given all the other mistakes made, I would not be surprised if someone went through the bookings for the night and saw this person did not check in and failed to look any further.

Do file a dispute with the CC and let them get socked with the associated fees imposed by their processing company. We only had one chargeback where I worked and it was simply a notification. Now if we challenged it, then there was all sorts of documentation we needed to provide.
c502cid likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, in this case a chargeback is a good way to go. However, it is possible to get charged for a no-show, which is my guess how this happened. Given all the other mistakes made, I would not be surprised if someone went through the bookings for the night and saw this person did not check in and failed to look any further.

Do file a dispute with the CC and let them get socked with the associated fees imposed by their processing company. We only had one chargeback where I worked and it was simply a notification. Now if we challenged it, then there was all sorts of documentation we needed to provide.

By all means do ask your card company to initiate a chargeback. But try not to get too carried away with fantasies of Hilton being spanked by their card processor. Hilton delivers rather more business to its vendors than I believe the previous poster's former employer did. As a result it is handled with kid gloves - even when it goofs.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
By all means do ask your card company to initiate a chargeback. But try not to get too carried away with fantasies of Hilton being spanked by their card processor. Hilton delivers rather more business to its vendors than I believe the previous poster's former employer did. As a result it is handled with kid gloves - even when it goofs.
Also, keep in mind, the card processor will be dealing with the property staff and not Hilton proper as they are the client and not Hilton. And yes, some card processors will evaluate the "cost" to their business and may choose to absorb the chargeback and not even bother notifying the merchant.
ptownca likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Do file a dispute with the CC and let them get socked with the associated fees imposed by their processing company.
A merchant chargeback is $25 or so. Merchants pay hundreds in credit card fees on a daily basis. They're not even going to notice the charge.

Last edited by jeffandnicole; Nov 14, 2017 at 7:28 am
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
A merchant chargeback is $25 or so. Merchants pay hundreds in credit card fees on a daily basis. They're not even going to notice the charge.
Yes, trying to reconcile a merchant CC account is challenging, the notices we received made it clear there was a complaint. And, don't forget the original charge also gets yanked. Again, this is at the property level and not Hilton central so any money going out is likely to get scrutiny.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Latest update. Got my $200 check from Hilton corporate. Diamond desk gave me stay points. I have to go through chargeback procedure with my cc company. Latest talk to diamond desk who failed to get the hotel to reverse the charge was also shocked I didn't get put into another Hilton property, much less the fine dump they put me in.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by c502cid
Latest update. Got my $200 check from Hilton corporate. Diamond desk gave me stay points. I have to go through chargeback procedure with my cc company. Latest talk to diamond desk who failed to get the hotel to reverse the charge was also shocked I didn't get put into another Hilton property, much less the fine dump they put me in.
As long as the Corporate team understands the situation and backs you up, you are good. Nice that they wrote you the check and the points you should have gotten. What about stay / night credits?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by PayItForward
As long as the Corporate team understands the situation and backs you up, you are good. Nice that they wrote you the check and the points you should have gotten. What about stay / night credits?
They gave me those too. Corporate has been beside themselves to take care of me. Each agent I talk to has been just blown away by the whole situation. Nice to be appreciated!
IAHtraveler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.