FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Does Hilton have an official policy for walking a Diamond? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1243648-does-hilton-have-official-policy-walking-diamond.html)

vandalby Aug 2, 2011 9:50 pm

Does Hilton have an official policy for walking a Diamond?

I reviewed the "definitive" thread on walking, but unfortunately there wasn't much in the way of definitive information - only anecdotes from FTers experience on being walked.

My question: does Hilton have an official policy for being walked as a Diamond? This is only my second year as a Diamond and first time I've been walked.

I'm familiar with SPG's Platinum Policy (points credited to account in equal to one night's stay) and Marriott's as I'm a former elite there (cash compensation).

Does anyone know the equivalent, or if there is one for Hilton?

mxpxillini35 Aug 2, 2011 10:10 pm

As far as I know...a DIA member should get at least $100 cash for the walk (but I think it's $200). Other than that, it's a standard walk procedure. If nothing was given to you, reach out to the GM of the property and give them the opportunity to make things right. If they don't, contact guest assistance (or the diamond desk)...they'll handle it for you.

CIT85 Aug 2, 2011 11:28 pm

Hilton does have something akin to policy for walking a Diamond, but it's definitely not points equivalent to one stay at the same Cat as the offending hotel.

My wife (Diamond) encountered a scenario that I consider being walked and I called Diamond desk asking about the policy. Hampton Inn is $100 cash. Hilton Garden Inn is supposed to be either $100 or $200.

The GM of the offending hotel that I asked about was offered the opportunity tio address this issue, but he has not responded in over a month.

Yes, Hilton is far behind Starwood and Marriott for rules regarding walking a top tier elite.

adambrock Aug 3, 2011 6:02 am

Essentially it's:
  • The current night is free
  • You receive points in your account for what you would've earned had you stayed and paid for the night
  • Cash compensation (either $100 or $200 depending on the brand)

Contact the diamond desk if you didn't receive all of the above.

MileKing Aug 3, 2011 10:18 am

Originally Posted by adambrock (Post 16850319)
Essentially it's:
  • You receive points in your account for what you would've earned had you stayed and paid for the night

So if you are walked on an award stay, one should receive a refund of their points used for the award, free night at whatever hotel you are walked to, plus $100-200?

mnredfox Aug 3, 2011 11:32 am

In the definitive thread, there are some std ops manuals posted, I think the info is there.

jamesteroh Aug 3, 2011 1:48 pm

I always thought it was the night at the hotel you were walked to was paid for (and IMO that should be the case for even a non-HH member if they are walked), transportation to the hotel you are walked to if needed (again that should be provided to anyone they walk), the points/stay credit you should have earned on the stay, and $100 to $200 cash depending on the brand.

kempis Aug 3, 2011 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by adambrock (Post 16850319)
Essentially it's:

For this offer I would lik to be walked every single time I check in :).

beltway Aug 3, 2011 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 16852524)
In the definitive thread, there are some std ops manuals posted, I think the info is there.

Several links are posted at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16656183-post26.html

The 2010 Hilton manual says this:

8.1.8. Relocation of members policy:
The following Standards apply to all members with guaranteed reservations who are relocated:
a. The hotel must coordinate complimentary accommodations at an equal or greater value local hotel.
b. The hotel must pay for the first night’s room and tax, plus one telephone call.
c. The hotel must offer and/or provide transportation to the alternate hotel and back, if necessary, at no cost to the member.
d. The hotel must complete the “Reservations Emergency Stay Credit” form online via Focus HHonors to provide the member proper Points & Miles, stay credit, and applicable bonuses for the eligible stay they would have consumed.
e. A Diamond VIP or Preferential Gold VIP member is the last guest to be relocated.

c. Relocation/Dishonored Diamond VIP reservations.
In addition to actions listed in Section 8.1.8. a. – c., the following actions must also be followed:
i. A Diamond VIP (and Preferential Gold VIP) member must be the last guest to be relocated. The hotel must follow the following Standards for all guests with guaranteed reservations who are “relocated”:
· Relocated guests must receive the best available accommodations if returning to the hotel on a multiple night stay after being relocated.
ii. For Diamond VIP members ONLY:
· This relocation and all pertinent information must be reported to Guest Assistance as soon as possible and no later than one hour after the actual relocation. If possible, communication should take place in advance of the relocation.
· An immediate inconvenience compensation of $200 cash must be paid to the member.
· The hotel’s General Manager or General Manager’s representative must immediately telephone the Diamond VIP member to apologize for failing to honor a reservation.
· The hotel must also provide the Diamond VIP member with Points & Miles credit for any nights the member was relocated. The hotel must pay the normal cost of the points and miles.

Points Scrounger Aug 3, 2011 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by MileKing (Post 16851969)
So if you are walked on an award stay, one should receive a refund of their points used for the award, free night at whatever hotel you are walked to, plus $100-200?

I was a bit confused also but "You receive points in your account for what you would've earned had you stayed and paid for the night" does not mean that for an award stay - would you expect to be refunded your room rate had you paid cash? It means that on a paid stay the overbooked property is responsible for putting through your stay (with a dummy room) as though you had stayed there: 1 stay, 1 night and applicable points. For an award stay that's walked, I'd expect the first two (plus, I suppose, any My Way points that might go along for the ride).

"The hotel must also provide the Diamond VIP member with Points & Miles credit for any nights the member was relocated. The hotel must pay the normal cost of the points and miles" appears to be a duplication of (e) above, rather than a directive to deposit the number of points an award room would have cost as a further "penalty", IMHO.

ringbark Aug 4, 2011 12:08 pm

What's a "Preferential Gold VIP"? Diamond VIP I know and Gold VIP I know, but a "preferential gold"...that's yet another new term for me. Does it, perhaps, mean a Gold VIP who earned the status "the hard way"?

RKRocha Aug 4, 2011 12:15 pm

Diamond and was walked...

I experienced a 'walk' a couple of weeks ago, I received an email this morning in response to my contacting Guest Assistance. I had a 2night stay, 1st night was walked and Hilton is offering to refund what I paid for my 2nd night. Property is Hilton Manhattan East. The Response doesn't seem to be aligned with the 'policy' being discussed here. Not complaining, just making a point considering the OP's question.

Boraxo Aug 4, 2011 6:29 pm

As I have said elsewhere, a Diamond should never be walked - ever. If a hotel anticipates an oversold situation, this is always well known by 4pm. At that point they should start walking other guests. You do not walk your best customer when he shows up at 2am after a long flight - that is pure stupidity. And even worse as payment is always guaranteed so you will never have a loss on the room.

I still believe that the hotel chain which offers a "never walk" guarantee to elites would gain some market share, particularly among frequent business travelers.

Points Scrounger Aug 4, 2011 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by RKRocha (Post 16859580)
I experienced a 'walk' a couple of weeks ago, I received an email this morning in response to my contacting Guest Assistance. I had a 2night stay, 1st night was walked and Hilton is offering to refund what I paid for my 2nd night. Property is Hilton Manhattan East. The Response doesn't seem to be aligned with the 'policy' being discussed here. Not complaining, just making a point considering the OP's question.

Did they give you the $200 cash you were supposed to get?

jamesteroh Aug 4, 2011 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 16861697)
As I have said elsewhere, a Diamond should never be walked - ever. If a hotel anticipates an oversold situation, this is always well known by 4pm. At that point they should start walking other guests. You do not walk your best customer when he shows up at 2am after a long flight - that is pure stupidity. And even worse as payment is always guaranteed so you will never have a loss on the room.

I still believe that the hotel chain which offers a "never walk" guarantee to elites would gain some market share, particularly among frequent business travelers.

I agree, a top tier at any chain should NEVER be walked, EVER. And IMO a gold should also never be walked.

There are plenty of times I would have no problem being walked on a weekend or one night stay if the property would follow HHonors guide on compensation for walking a diamond and if I was put up at a similar hotel in the same area, but that should be the diamonds choice to be walked.