Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton and Hilton Garden Inn don't pay guarantees quietly dropped?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I noticed that a few of the hotels have replaced the old Hampton Guarantee signs in the past month. I'm sure you all know how its often fixed to the checkin desk surface in metal. The new plastic one mentions nothing about not having to pay if you're not satisfied. Did I miss a thread on this?

The website now states:

100% Hampton Guarantee®

Making you happy makes us happy. So, if we can make your stay better, talk to any member of our team, and we'll make sure you're 100% happy. GUARANTEED.™
No mention of whether you can have a refund, relying on this text it seems its not something you can rely on anymore and properties are being encouraged to make service recovery in other (cheaper?) ways.

Backed up by some other sites mentioning it Guarantee changes So it seems to have changed a long time ago.

So it seems only HGI has the not satisfied don't pay guarantee- for now.

Our Promise

We promise to do whatever it takes to ensure you're satisfied, or you don't pay. You can count on us. GUARANTEED™. The Hilton Garden Inn Promise reflects our focus on hospitality and integrity. We are committed to providing an excellent hotel experience for every guest, every time.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:44 am

Maybe due to abuse of the guarantee? With what I've seen on here, I'm not surprised.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I don't have a problem with this as long as the hotels themselves don't abuse it. If it's something that's not really an emergency, and they're able to fix it, then perhaps throwing a few points at you instead for a minor to moderate inconvenience is okay.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
I never understood these "guarantees" anyways. What if I'm only satisfied when I'm upgraded even though it's not offered at Hamptons and HGIs? Are they still gonna guarantee 100% satisfaction?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:29 pm

Hampton Inn web site still has guarantee published
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by jacobguo
I never understood these "guarantees" anyways. What if I'm only satisfied when I'm upgraded even though it's not offered at Hamptons and HGIs? Are they still gonna guarantee 100% satisfaction?
I used to work for a hotel chain that had a satisfaction guarantee. Everything was tracked, including the exact reason why the guest got a free stay. If a guest abuses the guarantee, the chain "fired" the guest. They got blacklisted at all brands under the hotel group.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I used to work for a hotel chain that had a satisfaction guarantee. Everything was tracked, including the exact reason why the guest got a free stay. If a guest abuses the guarantee, the chain "fired" the guest. They got blacklisted at all brands under the hotel group.
The experience of a recent visitor here would seem to verify that.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
The experience of a recent visitor here would seem to verify that.
Thread reference(s)?

David
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:00 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
Thread reference(s)?

David
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...ut-reason.html
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by xooz
Hampton Inn web site still has guarantee published
Yeah but they've taken out the language about the night being free if you aren't 100% satisfied. Now the guarantee isn't really a guarantee any more -- no apparent consequences for the hotel if you aren't satisfied.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I don't have a problem with this as long as the hotels themselves don't abuse it. If it's something that's not really an emergency, and they're able to fix it, then perhaps throwing a few points at you instead for a minor to moderate inconvenience is okay.
The only time I invoked the Hampton guarantee was when they tried to fix it (the air conditioning not working, not even the fan working), couldn't (apparently required ordering parts?), couldn't change me to another room, couldn't even get me a portable fan, and their only suggestion was to open the windows but it was noisy outside (but I couldn't run a fan to help cover up the noise).

That's not abusing the guarantee, is it? Even though it wasn't an emergency.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
If it were particularly warm out, I'd call that beyond a "moderate" problem.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
That's not abusing the guarantee, is it? Even though it wasn't an emergency.
No, that's not even close to abusing a guest satisfaction guarantee. Something doesn't need to be an emergency to qualify. Additionally, a chain would need to see a pattern of multiple instances for it to be abuse.

Where I worked, we had clear signage at the Front Desk describing the guarantee. Still, having a guest invoke the guarantee wasn't something that happened very often. When I was Revenue Manager, I was responsible for submitting the information each time it happened. It really only happened once or twice each year. However, we were a solid AAA-rated 4-Diamond hotel. Lesser properties would certainly have it happen more often.

The most absurd example of abuse I recall was when a guest didn't get a wake-up call at the time requested. At our hotel, we did personalized wake-up calls. Just to be safe in case the hotel operator was too busy to make the call, we always set up an automated call for 5 minutes after the requested time.

Once, a guest didn't get the personalized call because the operator was taking incoming calls. Instead of getting the call at the requested time, he got the automated call 5 minutes late. The guy ended up invoking the guarantee over that issue.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
The only time I've ever invoked the guarantee was when I didn't get a wake up call at all, and was late to a trade show.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
No, that's not even close to abusing a guest satisfaction guarantee. Something doesn't need to be an emergency to qualify. Additionally, a chain would need to see a pattern of multiple instances for it to be abuse.

Where I worked, we had clear signage at the Front Desk describing the guarantee. Still, having a guest invoke the guarantee wasn't something that happened very often. When I was Revenue Manager, I was responsible for submitting the information each time it happened. It really only happened once or twice each year. However, we were a solid AAA-rated 4-Diamond hotel. Lesser properties would certainly have it happen more often.

The most absurd example of abuse I recall was when a guest didn't get a wake-up call at the time requested. At our hotel, we did personalized wake-up calls. Just to be safe in case the hotel operator was too busy to make the call, we always set up an automated call for 5 minutes after the requested time.

Once, a guest didn't get the personalized call because the operator was taking incoming calls. Instead of getting the call at the requested time, he got the automated call 5 minutes late. The guy ended up invoking the guarantee over that issue.
What if the guest was flying WN and 5 minutes relegated his boarding position to the Cs

Anyways I doubt anyone would solely rely on wake up calls nowadays but in the old days would 5 minutes be a valid reason?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.