Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon
3600 Broadway Street, American Canyon, California, United States 94503
Tel: 1-707-674-2100 Fax: 1-707-674-2555 web page <link>
Print Wikipost

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2011, 11:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
For those not familiar with American Canyon, it is the southernmost city in Napa County and adjoins Vallejo which is in Solano County (and Benicia is right next to that, where I live).

There two shopping centers there. The first is south of the hotel at 29 and American Canyon which is anchored by a Safeway with gas pumps. The second is north and is anchored by a Walmart superstore. It has a Sonic with car service that seems very popular.

Not much there in terms of destination restaurants. I grew up there and my dad and sister both live there still. If you make it over to Benicia (15 min drive), there's a nice walkable old town area, as well as the State Capitol Building (we had it before Sacramento). There's a selection of Indian, Thai, Mexican, Mediterranean and seafood restaurants along First Street downtown. No franchises (those are all in Vallejo along I80). Benicia PHOTOS
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon
3600 Broadway Street, American Canyon, California, United States 94503
Tel: 1-707-674-2100 Fax: 1-707-674-2555 web page <link>

I was able to get a "VIP" room in May for $95.25 (with an ignored Nor1 upsell for "only" $69!) or "Lagoon-View" for $111 plus ~12% taxes, and stayed May 3 on my way home. Here's my report:

There seem to be two floors of 67 rooms each floor, and we know this place is Green because the rooms are all named after creatures - there is even a "Baboon" room, if you choose.

The floor boards are creaky - I would avoid the first floor at all costs. Highway 29 is relatively noisy with commercial traffic, and you can hear some mild traffic noise in most rooms, though double-paned windows do help minimize it (at least in our mid-positioned room facing the man-made lagoon). The worst are likely to be x63 - x67, which front on Hwy. 29, and possibly x07, x08 - x24 even only, as well as x26 - x31, which all face the infrequently used railroad tracks.

Rooms x32 and x33 - x61 all face north, over the parking; x01 - x06 face south over the rear parking, and x09 - x25 odd plus x34 - x60 even face the man-made lagoon and are upsold as "Lagoon-View" rooms; downstairs versions of the lagoon-facing rooms have small patios and are sold at value added prices.

However, when we actually went to breakfast in the Gaia restaurant, the chit was good for the newly instituted $13.00 buffet - wow! ... The service staff was attentive without being intrusive, and I have to say this is certainly the best breakfast I have had in any DoubleTree. ^

NO safe, soaps etc. other than dispensed liquids and creams, no clock radio, no pen and pad. No slippers or bathrobes for Hilton elites, though I never miss those. (It may be that they will add the clocks etc. as this property transitions into a DoubleTree.)
I'm on a weekly stay program (just a night or two a week), six weeks now. JDiver posted a really great review to start this thread. I'll update a couple of things and add a couple. I've trimmed the original post considerably to include only things I'm commenting on. Do read the original and figure that it's all still valid, to the best of my knowledge, except where I note.

AAA mid-week rates now right around $100.

The room names are still there and really do run the gamut: birds, flora, animals... I have always had the choice of an upgraded Lagoon View room through on-line check-in. I have asked for more at the front desk; I check-in late and out early, doing nothing but sleep.

Upstairs or downstairs, I haven't had any road noise (again, Lagoon View room is "inside") or rail noise. Great waterfowl in the lagoon. Swans or something. Not ducks or geese: those I recognize.

I go to work at 2:00AM, but I've made it back for 6:00AM breakfast for times. The food is great, though oatmeal consistently shows up late and the fruit bowls are too small, running out frequently. There's one service person in the dining room at 6:00AM. He's busy enough that he's never provided any real service other than shouting "oatmeal's ready". He does take omlette orders, but I'm vegetarian, so...not me. He pleasant enough, if a bit distracted.

My Diamond amenities are always in my key packet, including breakfast voucher and a list of other stuff (internet access and such).

Still no bar soap in the rooms, but it's available at the front desk.

The fitness center is pathetically small, but no one seems to work out, so its two treadmills, recumbent bike and climber thing are adequate. Bring a towel; I've never seen one in the fitness center.

Bottom Line: I keep going back. It's cheap and kind of near where I need to be. It is not Napa.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Huh! My family (mother's father's family, anyway,) lived there as well. FT makes is a very small world.

And as others have said, it's not far from Napa, but it is not Napa (and the wineries are on the other side, north, of Napa).

Originally Posted by tom911
For those not familiar with American Canyon, it is the southernmost city in Napa County and adjoins Vallejo which is in Solano County (and Benicia is right next to that, where I live).

There two shopping centers there. The first is south of the hotel at 29 and American Canyon which is anchored by a Safeway with gas pumps. The second is north and is anchored by a Walmart superstore. It has a Sonic with car service that seems very popular.

Not much there in terms of destination restaurants. I grew up there and my dad and sister both live there still. If you make it over to Benicia (15 min drive), there's a nice walkable old town area, as well as the State Capitol Building (we had it before Sacramento). There's a selection of Indian, Thai, Mexican, Mediterranean and seafood restaurants along First Street downtown. No franchises (those are all in Vallejo along I80). Benicia PHOTOS
Old Nov 22, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
How "trafficy" does 37 get during rush hour?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:09 pm

I'm back. A few updates to my earlier report:

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior

AAA mid-week rates now right around $100. Still true and lots of MVP rates.

Upstairs or downstairs, I haven't had any road noise (again, Lagoon View room is "inside") or rail noise. Worst noise problem lately is creaking floors upstairs.

Great waterfowl in the lagoon. Swans or something. Not ducks or geese: those I recognize. Mallards this morning.

The food is great, though oatmeal consistently shows up late and the fruit bowls are too small, running out frequently. There's one service person in the dining room at 6:00AM. Now two people minimum. Service has been much-improved.

The fitness center is pathetically small, but no one seems to work out, so its two treadmills, recumbent bike and climber thing are adequate. Bring a towel; I've never seen one in the fitness center. I've been pretty reliably finding towels, but we're down to one treadmill. And it seems busier.

Bottom Line: I keep going back. It's cheap and kind of near where I need to be. It is not Napa.

Obviously, I'm STILL going back. The place has kind of grown on me. The gent at the front desk seems to recognize/remember me. He has my key packet ready quicker than anyone else ever has. And the required speech ("Diamond number on file", "Breakfast voucher...") is delivered at the fact pace I want. My only compliant is, now that it's daylight saving time, I get off work and end up enjoying the view/waterfowl past my bedtime.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I stayed here last week for 3 nights visiting the wine country. This was my 3rd or 4th time here, and I really like this hotel, mostly for its location - not too far away from SFO and close enough to many Sonoma and Napa wineries. We booked a Lagoon View King with patio, and this is what we got (I believe only Junior Suites are higher category rooms, which we would not want as they don't have a patio). We checked in fairy late so the room was ready, and went straight to dinner at the hotel's restaurant. While the hotel is a fairly standard U.S. DoubleTree, I really like its restaurant - good simple food and a great wine list. Breakfast benefit for Diamond members is the buffet which I found to be rather poor - no cold cuts, and just the usual fried bacon, sausage, potatoes and eggs; omelettes can also be ordered for free. I ended up having the buffet breakfast only once and ordering from the a la carte menu twice, and to my surprise one morning it was comped. A great option for those visiting the wine country who require a bed for the night and a good restaurant.

Fairly standard DoubleTree King room

Room

Patio/view from the room

Limes growing just outside the room :-)

Restaurant

Bayside Benedict (from the breakfast menu)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.