Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Istanbul - Old Town {TUR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Istanbul - Old Town {TUR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Anyone have any experience on what to expect as a lowly Gold? I'll have 2 rooms - parent and kid in each.

I see mention of transportation from the airport, which I hadn't noticed. Free?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:11 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by CPRich
Anyone have any experience on what to expect as a lowly Gold? I'll have 2 rooms - parent and kid in each.

I see mention of transportation from the airport, which I hadn't noticed. Free?
I would have thought they treat Golds very similar to Diamonds here but maybe I am wrong...

A number of ways to get from the airport to the hotel or back. See this similar thread for other reviews and quite a bit of info on various transport options:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-old-town.html

Enjoy your trip, a great place and city. ^
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by travisw
Has anyone used the Turkish bath? what's it like? I've never been to a turkish bath so don't know what to expect but figure when in Rome . . . (or Istanbul)
I stayed about 2.5 years ago and booked the Turkish bath treatment

After reading some reviews, I opted to skip some of the more famous baths. The doubletree's was great - although I don't have anything to measure it against.

It was very clean and I ended up getting the last appt of the night so it was just me and the fellow responsible for scrubbing a couple layers of skin off of me.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 3:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just finished a three night stay at the DoubleTree Old Town Istanbul.

Booked a Deluxe King (at a very good rate) and that's exactly what I got. No upgrade. Looked online, and all they had available for sale were twins and suites, so I didn't grumble about it.

I actually thought the basic room was pretty decent. Large king bed (very comfortable), functional desk, and a sitting area with a small sofa. My room was on the second floor at the back of the building. Even here, there was a fair bit of street noise. The windows are not sound-insulated, and I would imagine it gets pretty loud if you're at the front of the building. For me, the street noise was noticeable, but not really a problem (and I'm usually pretty sensitive to noise issues).

The hotel is well located. About a 15 minute walk to the main tourist area. The lobby is spacious and has lots of places to sit. There's also a nice business center on the 1st floor. I was surprised at how sleek and modern the property is; somehow I was picturing something more "Old Town-ish."

Service overall was excellent. I thought the breakfast was pretty good, too, although the Turkish breakfast is a little different from what I'm used to and took some getting used to.

The only real negative here for me was this is one of those properties where everything (except the room) is hideously overpriced. I ordered a coffee in the lobby and it cost $7 US. Minibar prices are astronomical, as is the hotel-supplied airport transportation (90 euro vs. 15 euro for a taxi).

Final note, lookout for those Istanbul taxi drivers. I'm sure there's an honest one out there somewhere, I just never found him.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Istanbul Doubletree Old Town

Seems desireable because of the location... would a Gold count on free breakfast, or should I consider booking a breakfast rate? Also, does it have a concierge?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Have a look here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...s-reviews.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16843087-post1.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...=istanbul+town
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I was there in December 2013 and received free breakfast as a Gold (and an upgrade).

As I recall it was quite decent, full breakfast.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Seems desireable because of the location... would a Gold count on free breakfast, or should I consider booking a breakfast rate? Also, does it have a concierge?
You will get free breakfast and internet. The breakfast is high quality.

There is a concierge. I would not book anything (tours, etc.) through the hotel though, their prices are ridiculous.

My very recent stay described here.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I was at this property again this weekend. Another great stay at a very reasonable rate. Early check-in was no problem. Got upgraded to 3rd floor corner room with nice terrace ^ Thank you!

Just a few tips:
To/from the airport is really easy with the Metro and tram. The tram stop Laleli University is right in front of the hotel. A change to/from metro at Zeytinburnu is neccessary but very easy, dont worry. Travel time is 45-50 min. to/from airport.

Rather than buying a 4 TL token every time you use public transport I suggest to buy a Istanbul travel card; works for almost all public transport in Istanbul so very convenient to use during your Istanbul stay; can be bought in the airport too. Using the card will reduce the fares from 4 TL to 2.15 TL per trip and transfer fares (reduced) become available. You pay 6 TL for the card (refundable) and then add the fare amount that you deem fit. Top-up is really easy in one of the many street kiosks all over town.

The location of the property can be troublesome if you want to go out at night in Taksim area. There is no public transport after midnight and it is a long walk back to the hotel. Rather than being in the mercy of dishonest taxi drivers, there are shared taxi/mini-vans available behind the Taksim Sq. that will take you to Aksaray for around 5 TL when the van is full (driving time is 5-10 min). From Aksaray it is a 5 min walk to the hotel along the tram line tracks.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by AICML
I just completed a stay here and it was by far the best treatment I have received as a Hilton diamond member. Was allowed early check in around 7am in the morning with an upgrade to a king bedroom suite. Received a welcome platter of nuts, candies, and fruit with a hand written welcome card from the GM. Free breakfast and internet. On the last night of the stay got the farewell chocolate cake and card thanking us for our business. Also, was my husband's birthday the day we checked out and when we returned to our room from breakfast received a birthday cake and also a happy birthday from the front desk staff when we left. Overall a really nice stay.

The location is also great for public transportation from IST as well as sightseeing in the historical area. I don't take taxis so it was nice that the hotel is directly across from the university tram stop. We used the tram/metro to and from the airport which was convenient. On the way to the hotel the tram was really crowded but when we left for the airport on a Sunday empty and much more relaxing.

We thought the breakfast spread was nice and varied enough for the 3 days we were there. You can get made to order pancakes, french toast, waffles, and eggs on top of a selection of hot buffet items, a variety of cheeses, meats, olives, breads, and a yogurt bar with various fruit/nut toppings. We especially enjoyed the honey comb.

Thanks for your review. Based on this I will be staying at this hotel for a 3 night stay in Dec on my way to Dubai.

From what I read, this is the best chain hotel location for proximity to sights. The conrad is an option as well but the reviews are mixed. Since we are staying in the cold season, I am favoring proximity to sights.

I'm getting a rate of 83 €/night. Is that a good price to pay for this hotel? Cash and points is not available and I don't have enough HH points to cover for the 3 night stay.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Exclamation

Originally Posted by mintcilantro
Thanks for your review. Based on this I will be staying at this hotel for a 3 night stay in Dec on my way to Dubai.

From what I read, this is the best chain hotel location for proximity to sights. The conrad is an option as well but the reviews are mixed. Since we are staying in the cold season, I am favoring proximity to sights.

I'm getting a rate of 83 €/night. Is that a good price to pay for this hotel? Cash and points is not available and I don't have enough HH points to cover for the 3 night stay.
If you are just interested in the main historical sights this is a great location as you can walk or take the tram to the Blue Mosque, Topkaki Palace, Haghia Sophia, Spice Market, etc in Old Town Istanbul. It's not directly in the Sultanahmet Area but right next to it and the closest Hilton. The area directly surrounding the hotel is unremarkable, but a convenient and central location.

If you enjoy walking you can also cross over the Galata Bridge to the newer part of Istanbul, or take public transportation if you don't. The food is better across the bridge and less of a tourist trap.

I paid a rate of 67 €/night in February and thought that was a great value. It was by far the cheapest rate for one of the main chain hotels. I would probably still pay 83 €/night as long as it was comparable to rates of similar hotels in the area because I liked the ability to walk and not rely on public transportation or taxis to get us where we wanted to go. We were there for a short time so we focused mainly on the tourist sights.

Also, they do a great job recognizing status and your gold status will get you free breakfast with the fresh honey comb which was delicious. However, some of the staff aren't the warmest especially in the breakfast area.

Hope this helps!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I paid EURO 67 + tax for a weekend stay in end July. It was outstanding value. I didn't see any lower rates for other dates and it was only available for a few weekend nights. Weekdays were much more expensive; > EUR 100.

So EUR 83 is a very reasonable rate and I would grap it. The risk that the rate will increase closer to your stay is far higher than the rate decreasing to EUR 67
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:40 am

Thanks for the feedback. I will go ahead and get this booked.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:20 am

I finally booked this for 3 nights for 270 euros. I was really tempted by the spa room at the park hyatt but I think this will be a better choice for first time visit. I will have diamond status when I check in and if hilton has a 2x/3x promo, this will work out beautifully.

I have spent enough time deciding the hotel but I'd rather spend more time researching Istanbul. Are there any activities that need to be booked far in advance? I have read about the popular sights like blue mosque, hagia sofia, topkapi palace, basilica cistern. We will definitely do the Culinary walk as well.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:01 pm
whl

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I was at this property again this weekend. Another great stay at a very reasonable rate. Early check-in was no problem. Got upgraded to 3rd floor corner room with nice terrace ^ Thank you!

Just a few tips:
To/from the airport is really easy with the Metro and tram. The tram stop Laleli University is right in front of the hotel. A change to/from metro at Zeytinburnu is neccessary but very easy, dont worry. Travel time is 45-50 min. to/from airport.

Rather than buying a 4 TL token every time you use public transport I suggest to buy a Istanbul travel card; works for almost all public transport in Istanbul so very convenient to use during your Istanbul stay; can be bought in the airport too. Using the card will reduce the fares from 4 TL to 2.15 TL per trip and transfer fares (reduced) become available. You pay 6 TL for the card (refundable) and then add the fare amount that you deem fit. Top-up is really easy in one of the many street kiosks all over town.

The location of the property can be troublesome if you want to go out at night in Taksim area. There is no public transport after midnight and it is a long walk back to the hotel. Rather than being in the mercy of dishonest taxi drivers, there are shared taxi/mini-vans available behind the Taksim Sq. that will take you to Aksaray for around 5 TL when the van is full (driving time is 5-10 min). From Aksaray it is a 5 min walk to the hotel along the tram line tracks.
Approx how much is the taxi fare from Double Tree to Taksim Square? Is there a direct tram from Hilton Bosphorus to Old Town?

Last edited by whl; Sep 1, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.