Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Istanbul - Old Town {TUR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Istanbul - Old Town {TUR}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by whl
Appox how much is the taxi fare from Double Tree to Taksim Square? Is there a direct tram from Hilton Bosphorus to Old Town?
The nearest tram to the Hilton Bosphorus is Taksim, which is several hundred metres away.

There's a few options to get from Taksim to the Old Town, but the easiest is to catch the funicular down to Kabatas, and then you can catch the T1 tram which goes straight past the DoubleTree Old Town.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:36 am
whl

I still can't decide between Double Tree Old Town or Hilton Bosphorus. It's my first visit to Istanbul and I will be there for 5 nights.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3253 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by whl
I still can't decide between Double Tree Old Town or Hilton Bosphorus. It's my first visit to Istanbul and I will be there for 5 nights.
I went Doubletree because it was closer to all the tourist stuff and the old city. Walk anywhere and light rail in front. Newly redone. Great service. It doesn't feel like a Doubletree (not that I have issues with that brand), but feels more boutique Hilton.

The Hilton is a little further out, in the "new" part of town. Hilton is larger hotel. Has larger rooms too, though. River views.

European side is higher end, near the westernized shopping areas, etc. Old Town is in the old city, which I prefer.

Do you like smaller or bigger hotels? Do you like to be near the older or newer parts of town?

One idea is to Google map some of the things you want to see and then look at where the hotels are relatively.

Last edited by abaheti; Sep 3, 2014 at 8:36 am Reason: silly geography mistake
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Plat, PC Plat ambassador, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, UA Gold BW Diamond
which hotel? Doubletree or Istanbul Hilton Bosphorus

Originally Posted by whl
Both hotels are Europe Side- just north (hilton/ Taksim) or south (doubletree/Sultanahmet) of the golden horn. The Asia side is where the doubletree moda is, and I would only suggest for work purposes, and not as a tourist.

I partake of late night restaurants and nightlife - both closer to Hilton. My view from the doubletree was of another wall, and not scenic, Hilton was beautiful view of bosphorus. There was nothing wrong with the doubletree, staff was pleasant, breakfast was nice, room was modern (very modern for a doubletree) and clean, I just prefer the location and amenities of the hilton.

If you are an early to bed person, then being closer to your daytime sights might be more important than restaurants and nightclubs.

For me, the hilton is a better fit, and I will return. The doubletree was nice, but not as good a fit for me.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by whl
My two cents here, in the general "Hilton HHonors Properties in Istanbul" thread, where you will also find more "which property?" discussion.

Short version of my opinion: Doubletree if you like being in the middle of the old stuff, Hilton if you like new stuff, a city feel, and nightlife. Personally I feel that there is much more to Istanbul than the historical sites so I prefer the latter.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I was at this property again this weekend. Another great stay at a very reasonable rate. Early check-in was no problem. Got upgraded to 3rd floor corner room with nice terrace ^ Thank you!

Just a few tips:
To/from the airport is really easy with the Metro and tram. The tram stop Laleli University is right in front of the hotel. A change to/from metro at Zeytinburnu is neccessary but very easy, dont worry. Travel time is 45-50 min. to/from airport.

Rather than buying a 4 TL token every time you use public transport I suggest to buy a Istanbul travel card; works for almost all public transport in Istanbul so very convenient to use during your Istanbul stay; can be bought in the airport too. Using the card will reduce the fares from 4 TL to 2.15 TL per trip and transfer fares (reduced) become available. You pay 6 TL for the card (refundable) and then add the fare amount that you deem fit. Top-up is really easy in one of the many street kiosks all over town.

The location of the property can be troublesome if you want to go out at night in Taksim area. There is no public transport after midnight and it is a long walk back to the hotel. Rather than being in the mercy of dishonest taxi drivers, there are shared taxi/mini-vans available behind the Taksim Sq. that will take you to Aksaray for around 5 TL when the van is full (driving time is 5-10 min). From Aksaray it is a 5 min walk to the hotel along the tram line tracks.
Thank you for the thorough review!

Do you--or anyone else--know of options for getting from IST to this property around midnight, on a Friday?
About how much should a taxi cost? Are the shared vans reliable at that hour?

I'm assuming transit would be running early enough on a Monday morning to get from the Doubletree Old Town to IST for a 9am flight?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Bonvoy
Anyone stay here recently as Gold? I've always received free breakfast in the past but my upcoming (paid) stay is showing free internet as my only Gold benefit.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UpperDeckJunkie
Anyone stay here recently as Gold? I've always received free breakfast in the past but my upcoming (paid) stay is showing free internet as my only Gold benefit.
What did you choose in My Way? If you chose 1000 points then you would not get free brekkie. It is either / or, not both. I have found some hotels actually look at the preference and enforce that.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
Thank you for the thorough review!

Do you--or anyone else--know of options for getting from IST to this property around midnight, on a Friday?

I'm assuming transit would be running early enough on a Monday morning to get from the Doubletree Old Town to IST for a 9am flight?
Cab fare should be about $20. If you are concerned about taking a cab, there are private car services offered by some of the tourist-shop-windows in the arrivals hall.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3253 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

[QUOTE=aztimm]
Originally Posted by SK AAR
20-25 USD, as I recall landing at a similar time. Make sure you get a taxi with meter at the airport (an official one). Well worth it. We had to get a taxi when our pre-arranged car failed. We had the hotel call a taxi to the airport and the guy didn't turn on the meter but gave us a flat rate cheaper than the metered taxi fare.

Last edited by abaheti; Dec 12, 2014 at 9:13 am
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by UpperDeckJunkie
Stayed in late July. Got free breakfast as HH G. You will a vouchers at check-in for each day.

I just checked my confirmation received by email upon making the reservation. It only stated free internet as my Gold benefit too, so don't worry - you will be fine. The breakfast is very good at this property.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:24 pm

Just completed a very enjoyable stay here. Got an excellent winter rate of 65 EUR/night. The location truly is ideal for exploring all sites; even getting to Beyoglu was quite easy (5 minute walk to the metro).

This is a great place for those with status, as breakfast is generous and high quality, and the 50% off spa certificate is really a value: the massages my fiancee and I got were excellent.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:13 am

Programs: FB Platinum For Life, HH Diamond
Two night stay as HHD.

Rate. I had a prepaid rate of 75 EUR per night which was excellent value for money.

Pre-Arrival. Since my plane was to arrive at 1am during the night, I had some pre-arrival e-mail conversation about securing my room. While there was a little confusion, everything was sorted out. Unfortunately, I ended up not being on that plane (missed connection in Amsterdam). The DT Amsterdam Centraal called the DT Istanbul to tell them that I wasn't going to arrive during the night and I also sent an e-mail. I had e-mail confirmation the next morning (before I left Amsterdam) that my room was still confirmed.

Also, they offered a terribly overpriced (EUR 90) sedan-service from the airport. I used a metered taxi and paid 50 lira (=15 EUR) including tip.

Check-in. At check-in, I asked whether I had to pay for the night that I didn't stay and they were very apologetic and said that they can't do anything since this was pre-paid. Fair enough! I was upgraded to a room with balcony. I also received vouchers for drinks in the bar and for the spa.

Location. Right across the street from the Faculty of Sciences of Istanbul University and in walking distance of the Grand Bazaar, as well as part of a westernized shopping area.

Room and location. Room on the HHonors floor (whatever that means -- there is no lounge). The room was very nice. Balcony overlooked one of the back streets.

Breakfast. The breakfast was extremely good with lots of local fare (four different kinds of olives, at least five different kinds of cheese) and all the standard items you'd expect. Service was oddly chaotic: on both mornings, I had the feeling that all of the staff were very new to this and were dealing with standard requests for the first time. My table was cleared while I was at the buffet.

One example of this: I was given a breakfast voucher for three nights. I handed this voucher in on my first day and asked whether it would be a problem on the second day -- the answer was "No". On the second day, I was asked for the voucher, and I said "I already handed it in yesterday". The answer was "Then please give it to me after breakfast". After explaining once more, the hostess waived me through, but I wasn't sure whether this was out of understanding what the situation was or just to get rid of me.

Restaurant. The bar and restaurant on the roof have nice views over the sea and the food is very reasonably priced and nice. Drinks are quite expensive. If you're sitting outside, expect seagulls standing right next to your plate watching you eat.

Gym. Measly.

Bath amenities. I am not a great fan of the new DT bath amenities: the bottles are too stiff and half of the shampoo stays in the bottle.

Check-out. Fast and efficient. Luggage stored for me and a taxi called to the airport. The taxi had a Doubletree sign and was not metered (of which I was not informed). It turned out that the price was 60 lira which is close enough to the 50 lira that I paid with the metered taxi, but it would be better to inform guests of how the taxi service will work and not let them work this out in the car while on the highway.

Summary. I am very pleased, especially at that price (even taking into account that I paid 3x75=225 EUR for two actually used nights) and the hotel will be very high on my list for the next stay in Istanbul. My comparison is the Conrad Istanbul which, in my opinion, was not much better than the DT. The only difference is the professionality of the staff: at the DT, people are friendly, but everything feels as if they are very inexperienced.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Staying here for 4 nights on a leisure trip late late April/early May. Is this too long, or should I break up the trip into 2-2 at the DT and Conrad?

Will mostly be doing tourist stuff, but are there many food/nightlife options around the area?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:50 pm

If it was me I would do 2 in the old town and 2 across the way at either the Hilton or the Conrad. I can only do so much of the tourist-district stuff. Plenty of food and nightlife in either, but the old town is going to be more tourist-centric whereas the Conrad/Hilton area is more modern and showcases more of what the city has developed in the past years.

A minority viewpoint could also be to suggest considering some time at the DT in Kadikoy. I rather like it over there myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.