Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Old Feb 8, 14, 9:53 pm   #121

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum,
I took food in, they dont seem to care
Mehadi66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 14, 5:37 am   #122

Programs: Loyalty? I go where the points and status are!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehadi66 View Post
I guess that guy with the one complaint tried to bring in a whole doner stand or something.
oziman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 14, 8:07 pm   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehadi66 View Post
yup there is a note in each room explaining that outside food is forbidden, but I had no one stop me bringing in outside food. As an FYI, there is a supermarket behind the hotel in the basement (literally the same building just walk down the alley behind the hotel) if you want to pick up some cheap snacks and beverages.
crazypalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 14, 2:20 pm   #124

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
I just stayed two nights and lived it. Location is amazing, service is great. I will surely return.
spearsba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 14, 3:09 am   #125

Programs: UA 1K; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold
Just finished a three night stay at the DoubleTree Old Town Istanbul.

Booked a Deluxe King (at a very good rate) and that's exactly what I got. No upgrade. Looked online, and all they had available for sale were twins and suites, so I didn't grumble about it.

I actually thought the basic room was pretty decent. Large king bed (very comfortable), functional desk, and a sitting area with a small sofa. My room was on the second floor at the back of the building. Even here, there was a fair bit of street noise. The windows are not sound-insulated, and I would imagine it gets pretty loud if you're at the front of the building. For me, the street noise was noticeable, but not really a problem (and I'm usually pretty sensitive to noise issues).

The hotel is well located. About a 15 minute walk to the main tourist area. The lobby is spacious and has lots of places to sit. There's also a nice business center on the 1st floor. I was surprised at how sleek and modern the property is; somehow I was picturing something more "Old Town-ish."

Service overall was excellent. I thought the breakfast was pretty good, too, although the Turkish breakfast is a little different from what I'm used to and took some getting used to.

The only real negative here for me was this is one of those properties where everything (except the room) is hideously overpriced. I ordered a coffee in the lobby and it cost $7 US. Minibar prices are astronomical, as is the hotel-supplied airport transportation (90 euro vs. 15 euro for a taxi).

Final note, lookout for those Istanbul taxi drivers. I'm sure there's an honest one out there somewhere, I just never found him.
Kacee is offline   Reply With Quote