Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Old Feb 8, 14, 9:53 pm   #121

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum,
I took food in, they dont seem to care
Mehadi66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 14, 5:37 am   #122

Programs: Loyalty? I go where the points and status are!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehadi66 View Post
I guess that guy with the one complaint tried to bring in a whole doner stand or something.
oziman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 14, 8:07 pm   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehadi66 View Post
yup there is a note in each room explaining that outside food is forbidden, but I had no one stop me bringing in outside food. As an FYI, there is a supermarket behind the hotel in the basement (literally the same building just walk down the alley behind the hotel) if you want to pick up some cheap snacks and beverages.
crazypalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 14, 2:20 pm   #124

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
I just stayed two nights and lived it. Location is amazing, service is great. I will surely return.
spearsba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 14, 3:09 am   #125
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold
Just finished a three night stay at the DoubleTree Old Town Istanbul.

Booked a Deluxe King (at a very good rate) and that's exactly what I got. No upgrade. Looked online, and all they had available for sale were twins and suites, so I didn't grumble about it.

I actually thought the basic room was pretty decent. Large king bed (very comfortable), functional desk, and a sitting area with a small sofa. My room was on the second floor at the back of the building. Even here, there was a fair bit of street noise. The windows are not sound-insulated, and I would imagine it gets pretty loud if you're at the front of the building. For me, the street noise was noticeable, but not really a problem (and I'm usually pretty sensitive to noise issues).

The hotel is well located. About a 15 minute walk to the main tourist area. The lobby is spacious and has lots of places to sit. There's also a nice business center on the 1st floor. I was surprised at how sleek and modern the property is; somehow I was picturing something more "Old Town-ish."

Service overall was excellent. I thought the breakfast was pretty good, too, although the Turkish breakfast is a little different from what I'm used to and took some getting used to.

The only real negative here for me was this is one of those properties where everything (except the room) is hideously overpriced. I ordered a coffee in the lobby and it cost $7 US. Minibar prices are astronomical, as is the hotel-supplied airport transportation (90 euro vs. 15 euro for a taxi).

Final note, lookout for those Istanbul taxi drivers. I'm sure there's an honest one out there somewhere, I just never found him.
Kacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 14, 4:50 am   #126

Programs: SK*S, TK*G, HH G
I was at this property again this weekend. Another great stay at a very reasonable rate. Early check-in was no problem. Got upgraded to 3rd floor corner room with nice terrace Thank you!

Just a few tips:
To/from the airport is really easy with the Metro and tram. The tram stop Laleli University is right in front of the hotel. A change to/from metro at Zeytinburnu is neccessary but very easy, dont worry. Travel time is 45-50 min. to/from airport.

Rather than buying a 4 TL token every time you use public transport I suggest to buy a Istanbul travel card; works for almost all public transport in Istanbul so very convenient to use during your Istanbul stay; can be bought in the airport too. Using the card will reduce the fares from 4 TL to 2.15 TL per trip and transfer fares (reduced) become available. You pay 6 TL for the card (refundable) and then add the fare amount that you deem fit. Top-up is really easy in one of the many street kiosks all over town.

The location of the property can be troublesome if you want to go out at night in Taksim area. There is no public transport after midnight and it is a long walk back to the hotel. Rather than being in the mercy of dishonest taxi drivers, there are shared taxi/mini-vans available behind the Taksim Sq. that will take you to Aksaray for around 5 TL when the van is full (driving time is 5-10 min). From Aksaray it is a 5 min walk to the hotel along the tram line tracks.
SK AAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 14, 9:01 pm   #127
whl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
I was at this property again this weekend. Another great stay at a very reasonable rate. Early check-in was no problem. Got upgraded to 3rd floor corner room with nice terrace Thank you!

Just a few tips:
To/from the airport is really easy with the Metro and tram. The tram stop Laleli University is right in front of the hotel. A change to/from metro at Zeytinburnu is neccessary but very easy, dont worry. Travel time is 45-50 min. to/from airport.

Rather than buying a 4 TL token every time you use public transport I suggest to buy a Istanbul travel card; works for almost all public transport in Istanbul so very convenient to use during your Istanbul stay; can be bought in the airport too. Using the card will reduce the fares from 4 TL to 2.15 TL per trip and transfer fares (reduced) become available. You pay 6 TL for the card (refundable) and then add the fare amount that you deem fit. Top-up is really easy in one of the many street kiosks all over town.

The location of the property can be troublesome if you want to go out at night in Taksim area. There is no public transport after midnight and it is a long walk back to the hotel. Rather than being in the mercy of dishonest taxi drivers, there are shared taxi/mini-vans available behind the Taksim Sq. that will take you to Aksaray for around 5 TL when the van is full (driving time is 5-10 min). From Aksaray it is a 5 min walk to the hotel along the tram line tracks.
Approx how much is the taxi fare from Double Tree to Taksim Square? Is there a direct tram from Hilton Bosphorus to Old Town?

Last edited by whl; Sep 1, 14 at 11:15 pm.
whl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 14, 10:30 pm   #128

Programs: UA 1K, DJ Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/PC Gold, Hertz PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by whl View Post
Appox how much is the taxi fare from Double Tree to Taksim Square? Is there a direct tram from Hilton Bosphorus to Old Town?
The nearest tram to the Hilton Bosphorus is Taksim, which is several hundred metres away.

There's a few options to get from Taksim to the Old Town, but the easiest is to catch the funicular down to Kabatas, and then you can catch the T1 tram which goes straight past the DoubleTree Old Town.
docbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 14, 4:36 am   #129
whl

I still can't decide between Double Tree Old Town or Hilton Bosphorus. It's my first visit to Istanbul and I will be there for 5 nights.
whl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 14, 5:19 am   #130

Programs: UA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Southwest happy companion pass designee
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3253 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whl
I still can't decide between Double Tree Old Town or Hilton Bosphorus. It's my first visit to Istanbul and I will be there for 5 nights.
I went Doubletree because it was closer to all the tourist stuff and the old city. Walk anywhere and light rail in front. Newly redone. Great service. It doesn't feel like a Doubletree (not that I have issues with that brand), but feels more boutique Hilton.

The Hilton is a little further out, in the "new" part of town. Hilton is larger hotel. Has larger rooms too, though. River views.

European side is higher end, near the westernized shopping areas, etc. Old Town is in the old city, which I prefer.

Do you like smaller or bigger hotels? Do you like to be near the older or newer parts of town?

One idea is to Google map some of the things you want to see and then look at where the hotels are relatively.

Last edited by abaheti; Sep 3, 14 at 8:36 am. Reason: silly geography mistake
abaheti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 14, 5:47 pm   #131

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, AA Lifetime Plat, PC Plat ambassador, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, UA silver
which hotel? Doubletree or Istanbul Hilton Bosphorus

Quote:
Both hotels are Europe Side- just north (hilton/ Taksim) or south (doubletree/Sultanahmet) of the golden horn. The Asia side is where the doubletree moda is, and I would only suggest for work purposes, and not as a tourist.

I partake of late night restaurants and nightlife - both closer to Hilton. My view from the doubletree was of another wall, and not scenic, Hilton was beautiful view of bosphorus. There was nothing wrong with the doubletree, staff was pleasant, breakfast was nice, room was modern (very modern for a doubletree) and clean, I just prefer the location and amenities of the hilton.

If you are an early to bed person, then being closer to your daytime sights might be more important than restaurants and nightclubs.

For me, the hilton is a better fit, and I will return. The doubletree was nice, but not as good a fit for me.
bsalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 14, 8:15 am   #132

Quote:
My two cents here, in the general "Hilton HHonors Properties in Istanbul" thread, where you will also find more "which property?" discussion.

Short version of my opinion: Doubletree if you like being in the middle of the old stuff, Hilton if you like new stuff, a city feel, and nightlife. Personally I feel that there is much more to Istanbul than the historical sites so I prefer the latter.
arlflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 14, 1:57 pm   #133
Moderator: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security

Programs: US CP, HHonors Diamond, Hertz 5*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post

Just a few tips:

Thank you for the thorough review!

Do you--or anyone else--know of options for getting from IST to this property around midnight, on a Friday?
About how much should a taxi cost? Are the shared vans reliable at that hour?

I'm assuming transit would be running early enough on a Monday morning to get from the Doubletree Old Town to IST for a 9am flight?
aztimm is offline   Reply With Quote