Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Grand Vacations Promotions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond

So, we all see these timeshare promotions from time to time. Most of them are a hassle and the sales pitches tend to be high-pressure and not really worth the meager savings. But I did have a really good experience with a Marriott Vacation Club promotion that got us a really good deal on a vacation in St. Thomas one time, so I don't completely write these off.

Anyway today the phone rang and the caller ID said Hilton. It was a Grand Vacations promotion and I ended up accepting a three night stay at the Grand Pacific Palisades resort in Carlsbad, CA, which is near the Legoland there. It's actually not a Hilton property but they have some sort of co-marketing agreement. The initial offer was three nights for $149 but by the time I upgraded the room type it will end up being around $600 for three nights in their dual bedroom villa suite, which their website prices out at about twice that for the nights we will be there.

Has anyone here experienced one of these promotions with Hilton? How bad (high pressure) is the sales pitch?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Per Tripadvisor.com--looks like you got yourself a pretty good deal at a highly rated resort!

Shows what bad shape Hilton timeshare is in--selling their loyalty guest lists to other companies.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:38 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
They are not that bad. I have been to a few of them when on vacation to get some free stuff.

They talk to you about the program for 20min, go show you a property, 30min. Take you back and try to sell you. The first guy is going to be the same guy that you started out with and basically he will explain how the pricing and stuff works, but cant really negotiate. Then a second guy comes in and he will sweeten the deal a lot to try to entice you to buy.
Just say, im not interested in making a purchasing decision on the spot today. and your done.

2Hrs all in all for a really good discount.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Boy do I feel unappreciated - my first offer was 3 days/2 nights for $299, and I had to negotiate them down to the $149 for 3 night rate
Old Feb 22, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: US Gold; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
I tried to set up a vacation to visit a HGV by filling out a form online. I got a call from their office in Orlando and listened to the twenty minute speal and the guy on the phone wanted me to buy on the spot without ever visiting the property. How did you get them to offer you a package?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by cguzik

Has anyone here experienced one of these promotions with Hilton? How bad (high pressure) is the sales pitch?
How was your experience?
I was making a reservation with Hilton today and they offered 500 points in exchange for hearing the promotion. I took the offer for Grand Palisades Resort Carlsbad CA and I think it is a decent deal but now I'm feeling a bit of buyer's remorse.

For $299+tax I was offered,
2 nights, 3 days
2 tickets to Seaworld or San Diego Zoo
$100 mail in rebate certificate towards a future Hilton stay

The T&Cs that came later in the email are a bit scary. I have some experience dealing with pushy car salesman recently and I did steer clear of high pressure sales but I have a feeling this 2 hour preview will spoil the trip.

Here are the T&Cs

Legal Information and Copyright. Personal Preview Details (G)
Although anyone can visit our properties or purchase our timeshare resorts, our special preview packages are only available to persons who reside in a state where our projects are registered for sale. Guests must attend a Personal Preview timeshare presentation lasting up to two (2) hours in order to participate in this package offer. If married or cohabitating, both parties must attend the presentation together. Presentations are not available on your day of arrival or day of departure. Please note that if you do not attend the presentation, the difference between the special package price and the currently published nightly rate for the applicable resort at that time, plus premium costs and taxes, may be charged to your credit card. Upon arrival for your personal preview, we ask that you bring valid government issued identification and a major international credit card.

You may not participate in this promotion if you have an open or incomplete package requiring attendance at a sales presentation. Groups of more than one couple traveling together; employees of Hilton Hospitality, Inc. or their affiliates and subsidiaries are not eligible for this offer. Offer not valid with any other promotional offer and limited to one package per household.

Vacation Package Details
Vacation Packages are non-refundable, non-transferable and require full pre-payment using a major credit card. Written confirmation is required for check-in. Package expires 6 to 12 months dependent upon your initial offering.

Reservation changes may be made 15 days or more prior to your confirmed check-in date for a change fee of $19.95. Reservation changes 14 days or less prior to your confirmed check-in date as well as a no-show on the confirmed check-in date will incur a change fee. Please contact a vacation counselor for further details. The retail value of the accommodations featured in our vacation packages range from $150-$450/night dependent upon the accommodation type and time of travel. Package includes accommodations and offered premiums only. All other charges, sales taxes, expenses, parking fees and the cost of travel are your responsibility and not included in this special rate. Holiday, high season or weekend rates may apply. Reference: GDOP

Purpose of Promotion
Promotions requiring attendance at a sales presentation are for the purpose of introducing the benefits of vacation ownership. As a result of state registration requirements, guests may not be eligible to purchase a vacation ownership interest in the project where the sales presentation occurs. Sponsor reserves the right to change this offer prior to purchase without notice.

The Sales Agent is Hilton Resorts Corporation (dba Hilton Grand Vacations) located at 6355 MetroWest Blvd. Suite 180, Orlando, FL 32835, to advertise Hilton Grand Vacations Club vacation ownership (timeshare). Hilton Resorts Corporation is also the developer of timeshare interests in Florida, Nevada, Hawaii and New York. The Developer of South Carolina timeshare interests is: Ocean Club Vacations, LLC, located at 1000 2nd Avenue South, Suite 310, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582. The Developer of California timeshare interests is: Grand Pacific Carlsbad, LP located at 5500 Grand Pacific Drive, Carlsbad, CA. Hilton Grand Vacations Club is the exchange agent. Nevada Seller of Travel Registration No. 2002-0827. NJ Reg No.'s: TVVS - 02/4-908; LVB - 02/38-009; W57th - 07/17-0015; WBKL - 06/34-004; GW - 07/34-0016; PS - 07/04-0018. 11/15-0005

THIS MATERIAL IS FOR THE PURPOSE OF SOLICITING SALES OF A VACATION OWNERSHIP PLAN (TIMESHARE) IN NEVADA, FLORIDA, NEW YORK, SOUTH CAROLINA, CALIFORNIA AND HAWAII. COMPLETE OFFERING TERMS ARE IN AN OFFERING PLAN AVAILABLE FROM THE DEVELOPER. Prices of weeks range from $10,990 to $278,700. Prices are subject to change. This is not an offer to sell or a solicitation to purchase to any person who is a resident of any state in which the registration requirements of that state have not been met.

Hilton Grand Vacations Club® is a registered trademark of HLT Domestic IP, LLC and is licensed to Hilton Grand Vacations Company, LLC.

©2012 Hilton Worldwide.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond
I wanted to post an update to follow-up on our experience with this trip. High level summary: it was great!

The good:

The deal we got on accommodations and Legoland tickets was well worth the price. Between the price of the complimentary Legoland tickets and the free night at a Hilton property worth up to $200, the price they asked for the stay was well worth it.

The rooms were very nice - one bedroom suites. We had asked for a two bedroom suite and ended up with two connected rooms, each a one bedroom suite. It is important to note that the Hilton Grand Vacations properties are essentially time share condos. So, these were more like small apartments than hotel rooms. One room had a full kitchen with a kitchen table.

The property borders the back side of Legoland and there is a dedicated entrance to Legoland from the property, so you can walk from your room right into Legoland.

The bad (more minor inconveniences than anything):

We arrived late in the evening (9pm) and the checkin process was a bit awkward because the office is not staffed 'round the clock like a hotel would be. We basically had to pick up our keys in an envelope from the mail slot. It was not really clear where to go and I walked around for 10 minutes before I figured out what to do.

Also, the patios of our rooms looked out upon a view which was basically a large dump site behind a business that sits adjacent to the property. It was not actually garbage but a large pile of industrial materials, but it looked like trash.

The sales presentation was two hours and was very professionally done. It was not really a high pressure pitch. I was actually very surprised at the value the program offers, and it basically sells itself if you are the right audience, meaning regular vacationers (annually at a minimum if not more frequently) who prefer upscale, known quantity accommodations. We were actually very tempted but did not end up purchasing in the end. They do have on site child care during the sales presentation and it was not bad.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
I got an offer from HHV for their Waikoloa Village (near Kona) for 6 nights, 7 days, full size rental car, $200 in Hilton gift certificates for future hotel stays, luau for 2 all for $999. I took the bait (though it took a while for all of the goodies to be offered).

What's interesting is that my wife and I did an HHV discounted stay at this same property several years ago. Quite a database they have.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:47 pm

I stayed at the Grand Pacific Palisades resort in Carlsbad this weekend. I got 2 nights, $100 certificate and 2 Sea World tickets ($168) for $327 so I think it was good value. However the Hilton $100 certificate is valid ONLY for hotels in the US within next 6 months.

I did not upgrade to a villa unlike cguzik so I was in the hotel part which is old and the rooms are just one notch above economy hotels like Best Western. The pool and outdoor area was nice, nothing fancy. The treatment I got as a "marketing rate" customer left a lot to be desired. I was initially given a room with 2 beds. I complained and was later given a room with 1 king bed.

The sales pitch was not high pressure and I was able to bail out easily. It took about 1.5 hours. I took interest in the time share offer as this was my first presentation & it became clear that there is very low value to a points junkie. I agree with cguzik's comments about the program offers, it may work for people not interested in the points game and stay at upscale properties.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyupfront
I got an offer from HHV for their Waikoloa Village (near Kona) for 6 nights, 7 days, full size rental car, $200 in Hilton gift certificates for future hotel stays, luau for 2 all for $999. I took the bait (though it took a while for all of the goodies to be offered).

What's interesting is that my wife and I did an HHV discounted stay at this same property several years ago. Quite a database they have.
How was your trip- going here shortly
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
After making a recent reservation, I was invited to participate in a timeshare promotion at a Hilton Grand Vacation Club resort in Las Vegas. The phone solicitor kept sweetening the offer each time I said no. Although I doubt I would be interested, I'm willing to listen. In any event, eventually, I decided the promotion was good enough to be worth it for a couple day trip to Vegas. I am wondering, though, if I could have held out for more. Here is what I got:

1) 2 days, 3 nights at a Vegas property for $179 plus tax
2) 2 $100 rebate certificates for Hilton Hotel stays in the US
3) 15,000 HiltonHonors points
4) A $50 certificate for a Ceaser's Palace restaurant.

Could I have done much better? I'm curious what other's experiences have been.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by PointsPursuer
After making a recent reservation, I was invited to participate in a timeshare promotion at a Hilton Grand Vacation Club resort in Las Vegas. The phone solicitor kept sweetening the offer each time I said no. Although I doubt I would be interested, I'm willing to listen. In any event, eventually, I decided the promotion was good enough to be worth it for a couple day trip to Vegas. I am wondering, though, if I could have held out for more. Here is what I got:

1) 2 days, 3 nights at a Vegas property for $179 plus tax
2) 2 $100 rebate certificates for Hilton Hotel stays in the US
4) A $50 certificate for a Ceaser's Palace restaurant.

you did real well compared to me. It takes a while for that $100 certificate to be cashed but it is reliable.

The pitch wasn't bad. I showed interest but later declined due to the price.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat/Oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by PointsPursuer
I just got
1) 3 days, 4 nights at Vegas property on the Strip for $199 plus tax
2) $200 rebate certificate for Hilton Hotel stays in the US
4) 2 "Dinners/ VIP Shows" at Planet Hollywood

I have no idea if the Dinners/Shows will be any good or not. I have a call into the concierge to book and I'll let you know.

I am not interested in the sales pitch at all, and I'm excellent at stonewalling.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by missdona
I just got

I have no idea if the Dinners/Shows will be any good or not. I have a call into the concierge to book and I'll let you know.

I am not interested in the sales pitch at all, and I'm excellent at stonewalling.
Hmm...I only got:
1) 2 nights / 3 days at Vegas, but for $149 plus tax.

Do you think I can ask for more now? I have not reserved my days yet...just pre-paid for the confirmation.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by missdona
I just got

Yep. Got the same.
diesteldorf likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.