Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does Breakfast Time at Hampton Inn drive you nuts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Breakfast Time at Hampton Inn drive you nuts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Ravenboy2001
There are some great ideas in this thread, but I know of one suggestion that ALL HI's should take to heart. Especially ones in tourist areas in the summer time.

If you have a husband and wife and 3-4 kids, by all means SEND THE KIDS TO THE TABLE to wait.

I have two kids myself, and we do not allow our kids to run around the breakfast area of hotels. They sit at a table and wait for us to get their stuff.

The HI/S I mentioned a few posts ago is currently catering to a lot of family/kid vacation travel, and the breakfast area was completely overrun with kids digging into stuff instead of waiting at a table.
Very good post. This could solve so many problems with the breakfast vortex. This seems like common sense, but that is in short supply these days.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:02 am

In this thread some people are annoyed at selfish SOBs and some people show compassion for little old ladies who can’t operate waffle machines. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Where it gets fuzzy is the cluelessly selfish. They aren’t malicious but if they took two seconds to look outside their self-centric little world they’d realize how their actions impact others. The question is, are the cluelessly selfish just a little stupider / naïve than the rest of us, and deserving of our compassion or should they think before they act? If you apply the word “thoughtless” to the situation does that make a difference?

“Look at that jerk holding up the breakfast line.”
“Aw, don’t worry about him, he’s just thoughtless.”
“You’re right. Poor guy. It must be hard going through life thoughtless.”
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: HHonors
Of course, I've seen just as many thoughtless people at check-in too. Like the cellphone guy, standing in line talking loudly, moving like molasses at check-in when it comes time to provide their cc and sign. I could check-in several people in the time it takes to deal with him. Or the lady who insisted she had a room booked at a crazy low price, and her travel agent had already handled everything. "But ma'am" I say, "we don't have rates that low". Yes we do she assures me, her travel agent handled it! Despite her confirmation# being too short and starting with the wrong #, she gets her agent to fax me the info. I kindly point the lady to the Howard Johnsons.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by FliesFromCanada
In this thread some people are annoyed at selfish SOBs and some people show compassion for little old ladies who can’t operate waffle machines. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Where it gets fuzzy is the cluelessly selfish. They aren’t malicious but if they took two seconds to look outside their self-centric little world they’d realize how their actions impact others. The question is, are the cluelessly selfish just a little stupider / naïve than the rest of us, and deserving of our compassion or should they think before they act? If you apply the word “thoughtless” to the situation does that make a difference?

“Look at that jerk holding up the breakfast line.”
“Aw, don’t worry about him, he’s just thoughtless.”
“You’re right. Poor guy. It must be hard going through life thoughtless.”
Well put, and applicable not just to breakfast lines at Hampton Inns.

And regarding the post about making kids sit at the table and wait - I think many parents would consider it inappropriate that they (the parents) should serve their kids breakfast, especially on vacation. At least, that's how they may view it and not consider the implications of their kids running around and interfering with others. As a result, I doubt it would be enforceable. In fact, I frequently see/hear parents asking their kids to go back to the line and get them something.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & CP, Delta Diamond, HH Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hamptoninnsider
Of course, I've seen just as many thoughtless people at check-in too. Like the cellphone guy, standing in line talking loudly, moving like molasses at check-in when it comes time to provide their cc and sign. I could check-in several people in the time it takes to deal with him. Or the lady who insisted she had a room booked at a crazy low price, and her travel agent had already handled everything. "But ma'am" I say, "we don't have rates that low". Yes we do she assures me, her travel agent handled it! Despite her confirmation# being too short and starting with the wrong #, she gets her agent to fax me the info. I kindly point the lady to the Howard Johnsons.
One of the craziest check-in moments I have seen yet was this weekend at HI Lewisburg, WV. I think it was Saturday night, around 11 PM. We were just getting in from a family reunion function and I noticed a guy piling several bags of luggage on a luggage cart outside. He then proceeds to go to the front counter and says, "Do you have any rooms available?". This was AFTER he takes 10 minutes unloading his car and wheeling the cart in. The attendant behind the desk says, "I'm sorry sir. It's a holiday weekend and we have been booked for several weeks".

Then the guy gets an attitude, huffs a couple times, paces the floor and says, "can you double check? I really need a room". The person behnid the desk calmly says, "there's nothing to check, we are booked solid... you may want to try the Marriott next door".

Too funny.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by JerryFF
Well put, and applicable not just to breakfast lines at Hampton Inns.

And regarding the post about making kids sit at the table and wait - I think many parents would consider it inappropriate that they (the parents) should serve their kids breakfast, especially on vacation. At least, that's how they may view it and not consider the implications of their kids running around and interfering with others. As a result, I doubt it would be enforceable. In fact, I frequently see/hear parents asking their kids to go back to the line and get them something.
Perhaps we have hit on something here....

Not sure why it would be inapropriate to be a responsible parent.

This reminds me of those parents who think everyone should think their kids are are as cute and well behaved as thry do. Maybe it is adorqble to watch little Johnny take his sweet little time and make his first waffle. But if that Kodak moment creates a bottleneck for others.who may have appointments to get to, there is an issue.

Living in MCO, I see this all the time.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Great, now the rest of us have to wait for the overworked staff to replenish it.
I'm sure the staff has plenty of stories...
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Hhonor Gguard
If that's true, then nobody has any right to be upset with them. Peanut butter and bacon is the king of sandwiches; these people should be congratulated.
Substituting Bac-O's is a no-no though!
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:08 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
What drives me the most nuts is Airport Hampton Inns where breakfast starts at 6 AM and I have a flight between 5:30 and 7 and can't eat anything hot.

That and coming to get breakfast in the last hour it's available and finding most food has already been consumed.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 4:43 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
There is no escape...

I had to laugh this weekend, a couple of times, at breakfast. We were on our annual 4th of July weekend top down in the convertible road trip through the mountains of western North Carolina. Friday night we were at the HI in Franklin, NC and Saturday in Murphy, NC.

My first laugh was throwing the # 6 and #8 microwavable breakfast biscuit and bagel concoctions in the microwave Saturday morning. So then I had to explain this thread on Flyertalk to my wife. ~Then~ we felt like a couple of anthropologists, studying the behavior of everyone else in the breakfast room while we ate our zapped bagel and biscuit.

My second laugh was the next morning in Murphy when the waffle maker was located in a corner of the breakfast area. And not just any corner, but the one where the mini fridge was sitting with the microwavable bags inside. The room dynamics were thus that those hovering over their waffle cooking were blocking the door to the mini fridge, and I laughed out loud as I spiraled down into a HI breakfast room vortex....help me....!
Old Jul 6, 2010, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by CMK10
What drives me the most nuts is Airport Hampton Inns where breakfast starts at 6 AM and I have a flight between 5:30 and 7 and can't eat anything hot.

That and coming to get breakfast in the last hour it's available and finding most food has already been consumed.
I wish airport hotels would start breakfast before 6 a.m. If they cant do a hot breakfast at least have bagels or donuts or bags with something like fruit and a breakfast bar in them you can grab. If someone is going to do a park and fly at an airport hotel they probably have a flight that is early enoguh they need to be to the airport before 6 a.m.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I wish airport hotels would start breakfast before 6 a.m. If they cant do a hot breakfast at least have bagels or donuts or bags with something like fruit and a breakfast bar in them you can grab. If someone is going to do a park and fly at an airport hotel they probably have a flight that is early enoguh they need to be to the airport before 6 a.m.
You are so right! My last 3 flights required me to be at the airport before 6 AM and I was on "park and fly" stays near the airport. On my last stay, I laughed when the Hyatt Place desk clerk launched into her spiel about the wonderful free breakfast starting at 6 AM, right after I told her that I needed to take the 0430 shuttle to the airport!
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:55 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Ok so ....I'm going to close this thread.

But I'd like to explain.

I got a couple of reports that the topic was "encouraging" unfriendly posts, but i thing the OP had a valid point so I let it stand. Now we've ,moved onto what might have been inevitable thread drift into a lot of off topic issues. None are totally inappropriate but some posts are REALLY not HH related.

Because of that and since we've exhausted any solutions for the problem at hand I'm going to close the thread.

thanks for keeping the thread relatively on topic and interesting.

squeakr
Co mod HH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.