Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does Breakfast Time at Hampton Inn drive you nuts

Old Jun 26, 10, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond (The Hard Way) Braniff Platinum, Eastern Airlines Gold, Piedmont Airlines Rubix Level

It never fails everytime I get breakfast at Hampton Inn the majority of the other guest have no clue on how to fix their food and move out of the way. If they would just follow some sort of path either left to right or right to left I don't care just stop floundering around in the way of people that know where they are going.

If you are going to get coffee get your stuff and prepare it at the table I don't have time to watch your whole ritual. Second if you don't know how to work the Waffle machine then this isn't the time for a waffle iron training class. Also this isn't your house I don't have time for you to make the horrible ham and cheese omlete into some kind of sandwich while I'm trying to reach over you for some Orange juice.

I know a free breakfast is the highlight of your day, but the rest of us could care lees and have places to go.
Old Jun 26, 10, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold,Marriott, US,AA.DL, AGR, Hyatt
Breakfast

If this bothers you, why dont you just take "grab Breakfast" and eat it in your room.
Some of us like a leisurly meal.
And some of us may just be "Waffle maker Challenged".
Old Jun 26, 10, 7:55 pm

I hear you. I was stuck behind someone who had no idea how to use the waffle machine and ending up totally screwing it up--he forgot to spray it first and of course it stuck. It's rare that I have a quick experience at the breakfast.
Old Jun 26, 10, 8:03 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & CP, Delta Diamond, HH Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Companycar View Post
It never fails everytime I get breakfast at Hampton Inn the majority of the other guest have no clue on how to fix their food and move out of the way. If they would just follow some sort of path either left to right or right to left I don't care just stop floundering around in the way of people that know where they are going.

If you are going to get coffee get your stuff and prepare it at the table I don't have time to watch your whole ritual. Second if you don't know how to work the Waffle machine then this isn't the time for a waffle iron training class. Also this isn't your house I don't have time for you to make the horrible ham and cheese omlete into some kind of sandwich while I'm trying to reach over you for some Orange juice.

I know a free breakfast is the highlight of your day, but the rest of us could care lees and have places to go.
You can't expect the same behaviour at HI as you would at HGI. Anytime something is completely free, you're going to have the cattle car mentality that goes along with it.

I had a similar experience this week in Corsicana, TX. I went down hoping to just grab coffee and a muffin, and there was this older lady piling biscuits and gravy on her plate and yelling over to the rest of the family that the gravy looked really good. Next thing you know, 5 or 6 of them are piled into the small area around the biscuits and gravy and no one else could move in the breakfast area.
Old Jun 26, 10, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond (The Hard Way) Braniff Platinum, Eastern Airlines Gold, Piedmont Airlines Rubix Level
Originally Posted by Ravenboy2001 View Post
You can't expect the same behaviour at HI as you would at HGI. Anytime something is completely free, you're going to have the cattle car mentality that goes along with it.

I had a similar experience this week in Corsicana, TX. I went down hoping to just grab coffee and a muffin, and there was this older lady piling biscuits and gravy on her plate and yelling over to the rest of the family that the gravy looked really good. Next thing you know, 5 or 6 of them are piled into the small area around the biscuits and gravy and no one else could move in the breakfast area.
Ahh that cracks me up "The gravy looks really good" prisoners get better food than HI guest.
Old Jun 26, 10, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catamaran View Post
If this bothers you, why dont you just take "grab Breakfast" and eat it in your room.
Some of us like a leisurly meal.
And some of us may just be "Waffle maker Challenged".
Because I get coffee, OJ, and a Waffle or bagle . The bag "O" junk with hot bottle water, tiny muffin, and beat-up apple isn't worth the effort.
Old Jun 26, 10, 8:43 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & CP, Delta Diamond, HH Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Companycar View Post
Because I get coffee, OJ, and a Waffle or bagle . The bag "O" junk with hot bottle water, tiny muffin, and beat-up apple isn't worth the effort.
Yeah, the hot water bottle, hard as a rock apple, and the SpecialK bar and a pre-packed muffin made out of 90% lard.

HI's are horrible for breakfast for the most part.
Old Jun 26, 10, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ravenboy2001 View Post
Yeah, the hot water bottle, hard as a rock apple, and the SpecialK bar and a pre-packed muffin made out of 90% lard.

HI's are horrible for breakfast for the most part.
Right, I just want Coffee Juice and a bagel I wouldn't eat the sausage, eggs, etc that they put in that warming tray it's horrible. Granted it's better than Holiday Inn but still I'd rather eat breakfast with my daughter at her school cafeteria than consume the mystery sausage at hampton inn.
Old Jun 26, 10, 11:24 pm

OMG, YES!

1) It never ceases to amaze me how many people try to butter their bagel/ put together their cereal/ fix their coffee/ etc on that little space on the buffet counter rather than TAKING IT BACK TO A TABLE!

2) Believe it or not, there is actually a method to the traffic flow in and between the "zones" on the buffet --- Why do people insist on meandering back and forth like a grazing cow? Secondly, if you can't juggle three baseballs, you certainly can't juggle a plate of eggs, a bowl of cereal and a cup of OJ... Make a second trip!

3) There are four entire hours devoted to breakfast. Oddly enough, you are not the only person who thought that by waking up at 9:30 you'd miss the rush...

Now of course, I'm just venting about those amateur travelers out there... I know that you guys and gals are pro!
Old Jun 26, 10, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hhonor Gguard View Post
OMG, YES!

1) It never ceases to amaze me how many people try to butter their bagel/ put together their cereal/ fix their coffee/ etc on that little space on the buffet counter rather than TAKING IT BACK TO A TABLE!

2) Believe it or not, there is actually a method to the traffic flow in and between the "zones" on the buffet --- Why do people insist on meandering back and forth like a grazing cow? Secondly, if you can't juggle three baseballs, you certainly can't juggle a plate of eggs, a bowl of cereal and a cup of OJ... Make a second trip!

3) There are four entire hours devoted to breakfast. Oddly enough, you are not the only person who thought that by waking up at 9:30 you'd miss the rush...

Now of course, I'm just venting about those amateur travelers out there... I know that you guys and gals are pro!
Last week I was at breakfast and this guy who was obviously a veteran traveler said to another guest "what are you looking for" I wanted to give him a high five! because the idiot was wondering around like he didn't know were he was and obviously needed some direction.
Old Jun 26, 10, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
It isn't just Hampton Inns -- other buffet-breakfast-included chains, such as Homewood Suites, have exactly the same problems. Heck, it isn't even just Hilton chains -- it's all of them!

I especially love it when someone is piling up veritable mountains of something-or-other on his/her plate and TAKES THE VERY LAST OF IT. Great, now the rest of us have to wait for the overworked staff to replenish it. (I realize that this someone is probably feeding a whole family of 6 or 8 with this mountain-o'-food, but still....)
Old Jun 26, 10, 11:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Reading this thread makes me very glad I am an early riser.
Old Jun 27, 10, 6:09 am

Programs: delta pm, aa exp, hilton diamond
Great post. You must have read my mind!
Old Jun 27, 10, 9:29 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Plat Marriott
Reading this thread....

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Reading this thread makes me very glad I am an early riser.
Reading this thread makes me want to be more compassionate because I probably feel the same way and when I read threads like this, it puts it out there, in black and white, just how intolerate we are for very insignificant circumstances.

Next time this happens to me, I will imagine that it is my "mother," or someone else that may not be as organized as me, quick on their feet as me, or just someone that may actually be challenged in one way or another that is not obvious.

Watching "What Would You Do?" really brings this home to me and makes me really work on my reactions to others that just may need a little more help.

Thank you for the reminder...I can constantly use them in this very busy world we live. The replacement of my "mother" usually works all the time--especially in traffic situations--ha!!!!

Old Jun 27, 10, 9:46 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I love this thread!!!! I thought that I was the pnly one who felt like this....

I generally avoid cont. Breakfasts for these very reasons. Whether it is the corp traveler who insists on fixing bagel and butter/cheese, or the old couple that can't get the coffee, or the family of tweens in sweats hogging everything, i just avoid it... I would much rather pay and have the food served than deal with the grazing zombies of a free cont. Breakfast.....

Embassy is bad, but seems to be more organized than HI.

Perhaps it would help to put up enter and exit signs from each station, or put arrows on the floor. Who knows.

So many posters here have hit the nail on the head...

Search this Thread